Wiki Posts
Search

Crew appearance in flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
Crew appearance in flight

Just travelled short haul and was welcomed on board by a CSM and club europe steward both open neck shirt with no tie. They did the whole service (which was poor - left everyone to pour there own drinks) without a tie and top two buttons undone. As soon as we are landing at LHR hey presto tie appears and is fitted

Am I being pedantic or is this a bit to relaxed.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by JStenning; Jun 10, 2022 at 12:33 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by JStenning
Just travelled short haul and was welcomed on board by a CSM and club europe steward both open neck shirt with no tie. They did the whole service (which was poor - left everyone to pour there own drinks) without a tie and top two buttons undone. As soon as we are landing at LHR hey presto tie appears and is fitted

I think they're supposed to wear the tie all the time, the only thing that gets swapped out is when they change out of the jacket before service, as far as I know.

What sector was it? Curious as I usually fly from Dublin, which is quite short, and usually the Champagne is cracked but I pour it myself. All subsequent drinks (and there are always subsequent drinks, even on a Dublin!) are also self-pour. I have no issue with that at all, to be fair. If I was drinking something else, I'd quite like to mix it as I like it.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

It was lisbon so a 2 hour 20 minute sector and I have understand pouring yourself and on short sectors I understand the crews can be run off their feet. But this was 8 rows and over 2 hours.

Just looked very unprofessional and seeing half a chest is not a great look.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have never known crew to remove their ties inflight, on the ground yes without air conditioning, seems very strange!
IAMORGAN, Tobias-UK, KARFA and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:49 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I have never known crew to remove their ties inflight, on the ground yes without air conditioning, seems very strange!
The other day we flew to MAD in an Airbus where the generator was inop - I wonder whether that happened again and they took off their ties and simply didn't think about it until they arrived. I have never seen that before.

What I did notice was that I flew to LHR from MAD in May and the entire crew was male. That has not happened much to me.
HIDDY and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
It was lisbon so a 2 hour 20 minute sector and I have understand pouring yourself and on short sectors I understand the crews can be run off their feet. But this was 8 rows and over 2 hours.
Eight rows that were full, or half empty? It makes a difference. Also, the 2 hour 20 minute sector includes the ground time, so the actual time in the air is less, then you also have to take off (!) the climb time where the crew remain seated and the 10 minutes before landing. So while it may seem like a lot, it's still a short enough flight, and a lot depends on how busy the flight was. Was everyone sleeping or was everyone drinking?

Either way, I think the drink pour issue is a non-issue from my perspective.
wcel likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:57 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Eight rows that were full, or half empty? It makes a difference. Also, the 2 hour 20 minute sector includes the ground time, so the actual time in the air is less, then you also have to take off (!) the climb time where the crew remain seated and the 10 minutes before landing. So while it may seem like a lot, it's still a short enough flight, and a lot depends on how busy the flight was. Was everyone sleeping or was everyone drinking?

Either way, I think the drink pour issue is a non-issue from my perspective.
If there were 8 full rows, they would have been hopping and jumping the entire flight. Honestly I am less concerned with what they wore then how they served. Drink pouring is a totally non-issue for me as well. I do insist that they open the cans as I have broken too many nails and had the can spit and spurt its contents all over the place.
FlightDetective, HIDDY and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sounds inappropriate, but these days I guess one should be grateful that there are enough crew to operate the flight. I have long since abandoned any concept of standards on the former Great British Airways.

We just ask them to fly us safely, with our luggage, to the booked destination and not poison us with the food. Anything beyond that minimal requirement is a bonus, from my POV.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I get the drink situation and to be honest pooring it myself is not a problem at all it's more how its passed or should I say launched to you.

It was two thirds full in club I would say and food service was done with around an hour and ten minutes to go as they did no pre drink.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by JStenning; Jun 10, 2022 at 2:46 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I remember once, some time ago flying from LHR to Amsterdam which is a very short flight. whilst still on the ground the CSM asked all the CE passengers what they would like from the menu and also their choice of drink. No sooner had the seat belt sign been turned off he was immediately dishing out meals and drinks. I think we had 2 more drinks before landing. I was so impressed I passed his name on to BA.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

I flew PE LHR-SIN 13 hrs - All drinks were self pour. This does speed up the service and allows you to decide the strength. I got 2 miniatures and and 2 cans - too strong for me so one bottle came home!

Re the tie - BURN THEM! BURN THEM ALL!! Probably the most useless piece of clothing around. You might guess, correctly. that I despise them and don't see the need for them in a modern world. Thankfully no company I worked in for the past 20+ years requires them. The last company that did, a very old bank I worked at, wouldn't even let us take them off when the inefficient air-con couldn't cope with a summer heat spurt.

We need to move on from the past in many ways and ties in uniforms are part of that. Get rid of them!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My goodness whatever next.....walking about with just their Y fronts on?
choosethedrew and TTmex like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:41 pm
TSE

Programs: BA, LH, AF, TK
I understand the eschewing of ties and unbuttoning of shirts was for the benefit of recent Virgin Atlantic converts to exemplify the uninked beauty of the typical BA crew neck…
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC

Just looked very unprofessional and seeing half a chest is not a great look.
He must have had rather odd dimensions if the top 2 buttons undone showed half his chest. I’m actually surprised you saw any chest. Unless he was seriously flirting with you.
SK, LETTERBOY and the810 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If we (correctly in my opinion) struggle with the tie missing then tattoos have no chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.