FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA ground staff at LHR: Summer '22 strike threat suspended after deal agreed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2082184-ba-ground-staff-lhr-summer-22-strike-threat-suspended-after-deal-agreed.html)

sew Jun 23, 22 1:42 pm

Thanks sunshinebob

orbitmic Jun 23, 22 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534 (Post 34362816)
Agreed- some posturing from BA to try and avoid looking like a total capitulation but right now there is no other way for them. Even the starting positions are very close- make the 10% once-off offer into a permanent rise in pay.

BA already skewered their biggest pay and pension liabilities at the start of covid by axeing the WW fleet so I just can’t see them being willing to accept the sort of publicity and revenue loss they would get from summer strikes.

indeed. The key change in position is that Ba need to keep every single staff member they have onboard and hire more. “If you are unhappy you can leave” is the very last thing they want to say.

Mater Jun 23, 22 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 34362812)
Yes BA will move you without award seats actually being available if recent protocols are re-followed. More news will be forthcoming the nearer we get to the actual event assuming the strikes go ahead.

If you're flexible youre golden, if you gotta be on such a flight on such a day you may find your self between a rock and a hard place. Fingers crossed.

Would BA also be liable for accomodation if an extra night away was required due to cancelled flights?

pinkcat Jun 23, 22 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 34362555)
Wish they’d announce the damn strike dates. Just booked backup Norwegian flight LGW-ARN the day before our BA LHR-ARN booking because I saw on expert flyer that BA were only selling JYB tickets for those two days which suggests they believe they’ll need the space for reaccomodation or because one or both days will be cancelled. Flights look empty on seatmap.

Felt a bit guilty taking up space on Norwegian but it’s a necessary insurance policy because prices are going up and up and there’s no reward space available on either day: if BA or the union would just announce the dates I wouldn’t be creating follow-on problems for other people by buying tickets I have no intention of using if I can avoid it…

I've had to book a back up on Ryanair. The original was LHR-DUB with Avios back up is BRS-DUB with FR, might even use it to avoid LHR

sunshinebob Jun 23, 22 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mater (Post 34362881)
Would BA also be liable for accomodation if an extra night away was required due to cancelled flights?

On a BA Holiday you probably would but otherwise the dates will be announced and flights will be culled outside the 14 day window so no.

But panic not at the moment. It's only 3 or 4 hours since this thing dropped.

PUCCI GALORE Jun 23, 22 2:16 pm

I agree with the person who said that this may affect them but their sympathies are with the strikers. These people had their pay reduced by 10% during the Covid period - the event that no one at that time could have foreseen was the Ukraine situation and the impact that this has had on prices of everything. Let us see whether this actually happens when it gets down to the wire. I am sure that when the dates are announced there will be any amount of rushing around for alternatives. I am sticking my neck out but I would not be surprised if BA do not reach a settlement as it will be cheaper to do so from so many points of view. Let us wait and see.

Confus Jun 23, 22 2:19 pm

How many flights are cancelled will depend on who exactly walks out and when. It’s entirely possible to fly on some routes without interacting with a single staff member - OLCI plus SSBD plus self-boarding gate. Have a few managers to sort out the issues and things could move as normal. (Obviously they won’t in practice, and delays will be rife, but I doubt BA would just throw in the towel and cancel everything. It’s not as if the staff concerned are as critical as pilots, for example.)

salut0 Jun 23, 22 2:33 pm

I am sympathetic to the strikers but I still wish they’d just announce the dates. If they don’t announce the dates it just makes it harder for people to plan

Confus Jun 23, 22 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 34362965)
I am sympathetic to the strikers but I still wish they’d just announce the dates. If they don’t announce the dates it just makes it harder for people to plan

And play all their cards at once? The unions aren’t stupid.

orbitmic Jun 23, 22 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Confus (Post 34362972)
And play all their cards at once? The unions aren’t stupid.

indeed strikers’ rights are very minimal in the uk compared to almost any other European country so so unions are not going to unilaterally give up on the very few cards they hold as it would make it a lot too easy for Ba to plan.

lcylocal Jun 23, 22 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob (Post 34362904)
On a BA Holiday you probably would but otherwise the dates will be announced and flights will be culled outside the 14 day window so no.

But panic not at the moment. It's only 3 or 4 hours since this thing dropped.

I thought duty of care always applied? And that 14 days only applies to compensation.

But agree with the general sentiment of not panicking.

Delboy65 Jun 23, 22 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 34362704)
A ruined holiday for 9 people in the south of france.

could always book a ferry crossing with that other great British employer; P&O :rolleyes:

Jzlerner Jun 23, 22 3:50 pm

Just a question out of interest: why would workers NOT strike? What's the point of the vote? Who wouldn't want paid leave for x amount of days without the risk of being fired?

BOH Jun 23, 22 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Confus (Post 34362924)
How many flights are cancelled will depend on who exactly walks out and when. It’s entirely possible to fly on some routes without interacting with a single staff member - OLCI plus SSBD plus self-boarding gate. Have a few managers to sort out the issues and things could move as normal. (Obviously they won’t in practice, and delays will be rife, but I doubt BA would just throw in the towel and cancel everything. It’s not as if the staff concerned are as critical as pilots, for example.)

Not really because they would never allow a completely unmanned gate area because anyone could just jump over the barriers and board without self-scanning. Plus a human still needs to verify each BP against the passport to check it is indeed that person boarding. Or the inverse whereby someone goes through the boarding process but then does not board the aircraft and lingers on the jetty or walks down the steps at the gate onto the apron area.

An aircraft also could not be dispatched either without the rampers as all sorts of procedures and checklists need to be followed by humans once the doors are closed, ie, retracting the airbridge, aircraft checks and tug drivers in pushing the aircraft back from the gate area.

crazy8534 Jun 23, 22 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jzlerner (Post 34363180)
Just a question out of interest: why would workers NOT strike? What's the point of the vote? Who wouldn't want paid leave for x amount of days without the risk of being fired?

You don’t get paid when you are on strike.