FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA ground staff at LHR: Summer '22 strike threat suspended after deal agreed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2082184-ba-ground-staff-lhr-summer-22-strike-threat-suspended-after-deal-agreed.html)

Can I help you Jul 7, 22 9:50 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 34404395)
It was a disgraceful and inept handling of pay, and for probably the first time in my life actually (mentally) supported strike action. It has been a shameful action by BA.

Then I guess you have never been in a position where you are being screwed by a company?

subject2load Jul 7, 22 9:51 am

Safe to say that this fresh pay offer - reported as ‘vastly improved’ albeit no specifics as yet - would never have come about without the prospect of imminent industrial action. Even the cost-cutting exec management must have woken up and realised just how damaging a series of strikes would prove to be within an already highly-fragile operation.

Here’s hoping that staff are as satisfied as their Unions appear to be, and that the vote itself reflects this.

Can I help you Jul 7, 22 9:55 am

The cabin crew Union is awaiting the details of this deal before they make their move.

flatlander Jul 7, 22 11:28 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 34404169)
Some people might argue that if there is a reduction in flights for the next few months at least, then would there be a need for all these staff on potentially higher wages?

"Some people", and BA, should have learned from the events of the past few months that fire-now rehire-later is not very workable in the aviation business at the moment. BA appear to have acted on this knowledge, but "some people" still need to absorb that lesson.

DaveS Jul 7, 22 11:57 am

Looking at this from another angle, it is hard to justify hiring staff when a recession appears to be round the corner. That would damage demand and potentially leave BA with staff they could not afford in 6-12 months time. That is still no defence for not reinstating the 10% pay cut for the time being though.

Sigwx Jul 7, 22 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 34404828)
Looking at this from another angle, it is hard to justify hiring staff when a recession appears to be round the corner. That would damage demand and potentially leave BA with staff they could not afford in 6-12 months time. That is still no defence for not reinstating the 10% pay cut for the time being though.

Well even during the last recession, we didnít see the massive cut to demand caused by the pandemic. A recession previously never made travel illegal and the last one showed how much disposable income and liquidity was still available. People will still travel and given how many are leaving at present, there is still a requirement for the time being. If itís a particularly deep recession I can see a freeze indeed.

Agent69 Jul 7, 22 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 34404436)
The cabin crew Union is awaiting the details of this deal before they make their move.

When the prospect of a strike ballot for check in staff was first mentioned I thought it was said that cabin crew had already reached an agreement with BA on a similar issue?

Can I help you Jul 7, 22 1:51 pm

Ground staff took a 10% cut and cabin crew took 15%, if ground staff have had there 10% returned or perhaps even more cabin crew will expect the same.

davidcamp6 Jul 7, 22 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 34405193)
Ground staff took a 10% cut and cabin crew took 15%, if ground staff have had there 10% returned or perhaps even more cabin crew will expect the same.

And quite rightly so.

Tafflyer Jul 7, 22 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 34405193)

Yes, I was shocked that Cabin Crew were said to have accepted a lesser offer. Is that not true, or do Cabin Crew want a bigger bite of the cherry now others got a better settlement?

Can I help you Jul 7, 22 2:05 pm

I’m guessing they want the 15% returned plus the same percentage of any increase that the ground staff receive.

adrianlondon Jul 7, 22 2:47 pm

First step: Keep the staff happy.
Second step: Keep the customer happy.

You can't keep the customer happy if employees they interact with are pissed off (or non-existent).

Can I help you Jul 8, 22 10:39 am

Hearing very positive news about pay increases for ground and cabin crew, details later today.

DeathSlam Jul 8, 22 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 34404828)

I appreciate your ethical support, but I'm not sure the logic of staffing levels and recessions works out as you think.
Leisure travel demand is through the roof. Those who could easily afford it and have not been doing for two years have cash to burn even in an economic downturn. But more important than that seems to be the recent ramping up of business travel. A downturn often means people try harder to get their business, that often means more in person visits not less. If every $ spent on travel for staff increases overall revenue $1.5 then you can still see the logic for companies budgeting their travel. It's not the same as production costs, transport costs for goods etc which are costs without any return.
Sure things might not work out that way, but if as an airline are not in a position to take advantage of it if they do, then you have really shot yourself in the foot.
I don't ascribe any altruism to BA, I just think they have to make a reasonable move in this case to protect their position.

T8191 Jul 8, 22 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 34404423)
Then I guess you have never been in a position where you are being screwed by a company?

Been screwed a few times by the RAF, but then UK Mil doesn't have Trade Unions! You learn to live with it, or quit! :D