Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ground staff at LHR: Summer '22 strike threat suspended after deal agreed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
LATEST UPDATE: 7 July 2022

British Airway's employed ground staff, based mainly at LHR. have voted in favour of strike action in respect of a dispute relating to pay and conditions. This strike ballot is valid for 6 months, and allows the unions to nominate strike dates, provided the employer has 2 weeks notice of the strike. The general tendency in the UK is for relatively short strike dates, typically a day or two, but several of them separate by several days.

Updated: 7 July/2022, no strike dates have been provided and an agreement in principle has been reached with the Unions. Two weeks notice must be provided by the unions. This means there will be no strikes before 21 July 2022. However though the ballot is valid 6 months, the first strike needs to be within 4 weeks, which is 23 July 2022. This can extended by a further 4 weeks if the employer agrees, for example to facilitate a ballot of the agreement. So that suggests there won't be a strike in July and there may well be no strikes at all for this employment group.

Those involved in this strike are check-in staff, baggage handlers, lounge staff, gate agents, some turnaround managers, and related airport staff. Cabin and flight crew are not in this dispute. LGW and LCY flights are not in this dispute. Contract ground agents - at LHR and out stations - are also not involved. Some roles can be performed by management, but it is unlikely that core activties at LHR Terminal 3 and Terminal 5 can avoid significant disruption. If flights are disrupted by strkes then usually BA allows people to move their flights to alternative dates and other arrangements (e.g. rebooking on AA). There is a separate dispute being worked through involving call centre staff and engineers, but there is no ballot at this point, so any strike is some way off.

Print Wikipost

BA ground staff at LHR: Summer '22 strike threat suspended after deal agreed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have created a wiki to give what I think are the key aspects in a factual way. By all means correct any errors.

I suspect a lot of lurkers and occasional flyers are quite worried about their holiday plans, so they will be looking through this thread for information on that, rather than the broader issue of the role of trade unions in society.
Thanks c-w-s.
It's not only lurkers and occasional flyers visiting the thread for any updates on potential strike dates!
You've done a great job summarising the facts in the wiki and I'll just check that for updates in future, rather than wade through pages of polarised opinions about the rights and wrongs of employers and trade unions.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I suspect a lot of lurkers and occasional flyers are quite worried about their holiday plans, so they will be looking through this thread for information on that, rather than the broader issue of the role of trade unions in society.
This. Some of the most polarising and off-topic posts have been deleted.

Let's all bear in mind that this thread will be attracting a significant worldwide audience of concerned BA travellers, so it's probably best not to make a show of oneself in front of them all.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:22 am
formerly JackDann

In July I wouldn't be surprised, this happens every year there isn't a pandemic on. But there is availability to LCY and some CE availability to LHR (e.g. 14 July). Typically on that route more availability will show up if flights are not full in the 2 - 3 days before departure, but at the moment flights are operating close to 100% full.
Yeah usually see that availability opens up and expect it to be busy, but just found it surprising that there is nothing at all for the whole of July and then availability every day in August.

I think maybe what has happened is that they have reduced the schedule and maybe they plan to restore it in August. Would explain the lack of availability.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Assume the strike will be at the very start of summer vacation and also in the last week of August to coincide with August Bank Holiday.
I have booking during that period and worried about cancellation.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by JackDann
Yeah usually see that availability opens up and expect it to be busy, but just found it surprising that there is nothing at all for the whole of July and then availability every day in August.

I think maybe what has happened is that they have reduced the schedule and maybe they plan to restore it in August. Would explain the lack of availability.
Look at cash prices as well - many shorthaul routes in July have been closed to all but the highest classes. This is clearly deliberate. If the flights end up operating and have space, I expect Avios availability will be opened close to departure.
jonkx and JD1905 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The unions GMB and Unite have now started the consultation process for a potential strike by call centre staff at Newcastle and Manchester, as well as engineers at LGW and GLA. This would be a separate dispute on a different contract. Since this is just the start of the process, this dispute is some way from leading to a strike, so the threat of both LHR and call centres being out on strike at the same time is not an immediate prospect.
wrp96 and jonkx like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC
I have historically not been a fan of Trades Unions but I know what I think of BA in this dispute and it is not printable.
I really do not understand anybody flying with them at all currently unless there is really no choice.
I haven’t set foot on any aircraft for over a year. I am well aware that many people don’t have that luxury but if you do, stay here or at least choose a carrier that’s getting a reasonable percentage of its flights in the air with the passengers’ luggage on board. The idea of putting yourself through hell for a week or two in the sun just mystifies me. It’s going to get worse before it gets better and there are all sorts of pleasant corners of this beautiful island, if you can afford the petrol 😉
Other beautiful home countries are also available.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Some of us have had very enjoyable holidays recently with flawless BA service at both ends
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I'll say again that check in staff alone will not bring things to a standstill. They don't have the numbers and I suspect that the company will eventually do a deal. Non airport staff will also be trained.

If the ramp staff ballot and walk then BA won't fly from LHR on any possible strike dates. This is what people have to watch out for. This is the key.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The unions GMB and Unite have now started the consultation process for a potential strike by call centre staff at Newcastle and Manchester, as well as engineers at LGW and GLA. This would be a separate dispute on a different contract. Since this is just the start of the process, this dispute is some way from leading to a strike, so the threat of both LHR and call centres being out on strike at the same time is not an immediate prospect.
And just to update this, the result of a consultative poll for contact centre staff was released a few hours ago and that gave a 97.3% vote in favour of potentially taking industrial action against BA. This will probably lead to a formal ballot, which has to conform to various legal requirements, but as they say, the writing is on the wall.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Some of us have had very enjoyable holidays recently with flawless BA service at both ends
Of course, but it’s a risk and getting riskier.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not sure if this has been posted but cabin crew were also balloted, here are the results.Following the closure of the ballot on Friday members answered the question "If necessary, would you support industrial action over this breach of the ‘good faith’ clause in the Pay 2022 BA/Unite agreement?" as follows:

Yes: 97.3%

No: 2.7%

orbitmic, red duster and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
No, but BA as a business have invested capital into running a company, they operate at risk. Unions dont, they just take members subscriptions and blackmail firms - What do they do for the UK economy?

You sign contract, you work to that contract, you don't like it, leave. Going on strike, breach of contact - should be fired.
What about the recent issue with P&O Ferries where they sacked all staff on the spot and replaced them with agency staff below minimum wage? Supposing that happened at BA, they would still need to fight for ethical issues such as these.
There are many premium airlines across the world that don't allow staff to join trade unions, notably those within the middle east. How many flyers consider this before booking their next flight or does the lure of a premium product corrupt their minds?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:00 am

In general I am not a supporter of strikes, as in my experience they rarely result in anything especially productive for either side.

HOWEVER, in this instance, given how BA management have approached, treated and had regard for most sections of their “team” with the exception of those in management positions I have to say that it feels more like pigeons coming home to roost rather than unions string things up.

Frankly I can quite understand why most front line staff would willingly take any opportunity to stuff the company given how the company has *chosen* to stuff them. As the old saying goes…you get what you give. YMMV.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m not sure if this has been posted but cabin crew were also balloted, here are the results.Following the closure of the ballot on Friday members answered the question "If necessary, would you support industrial action over this breach of the ‘good faith’ clause in the Pay 2022 BA/Unite agreement?" as follows:

Yes: 97.3%

No: 2.7%

But if BA are in breach of a legally binding agreement why don't employees seek a remedy via the courts rather than voting for industrial action?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.