FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA ground staff at LHR: Summer '22 strike threat suspended after deal agreed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2082184-ba-ground-staff-lhr-summer-22-strike-threat-suspended-after-deal-agreed.html)

orbitmic Jun 24, 22 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 34364775)
Unions are just bullies who wait until the time to screw people over comes and then go on strike. They dont create anything, they dont invest in anything, they just take take take.

yeah, sure. Whilst companies like Ba are just loving angels who live to sacrifice themselves to the greater good of their employees, their customers, and humankind and give give give with heartfelt and unbound generosity bless them…

scubadu Jun 24, 22 2:19 pm

Wow... this is a classic BA forum thread (i.e. endless bickering which solves nothing), but really belongs in OMNI on it's current trajectory....

Regards

Jackanory Jun 24, 22 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 34364775)
You know a key reason we have low unemployment in this country is due to the flexible labour market. If you don't like your job, go and interview elsewhere. Lots of BA staff learnt this during the pandemic...

Healthy labour markets and free business is based on competition, choice and flexibility. Unions are just bullies who wait until the time to screw people over comes and then go on strike. They dont create anything, they dont invest in anything, they just take take take.

Unions created The Labour Party, weekends, paid holiday, maternity leave, paternity leave, health and safety regulations, equality data reporting amongst individual and collective representation of the working class. They invest in their members and use members contributions to campaign on workplace issues. It's a very democratic process and most union members actually work their socks off to make the workplace a better place. Managers on the other hand....only in it for themselves really.

salut0 Jun 24, 22 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 34366172)
Wow... this is a classic BA forum thread (i.e. endless bickering which solves nothing), but really belongs in OMNI on it's current trajectory....

Regards

Yes: can we break out a clear post with solid information about when the strike could or will happen, what the effects are likely to or will be, and what travelers can/should do in case of disruptions? Maybe as the first post (wiki?) or move the general discussion to somewhere else?

MH1981 Jun 24, 22 4:32 pm

Deleted

sfozrhfco Jun 24, 22 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by MH1981 (Post 34366613)
Vile. Feel free to find a new airline.

Wise words to the people of the UK...might be time to let BA go and start anew.:)

krispy84 Jun 24, 22 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jackanory (Post 34366410)
Managers on the other hand....only in it for themselves really.

If that’s your genuine view, rather than hyperbole, then there are issues on both sides of this disagreement.

PGberkshire Jun 24, 22 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 34366141)
yeah, sure. Whilst companies like Ba are just loving angels who live to sacrifice themselves to the greater good of their employees, their customers, and humankind and give give give with heartfelt and unbound generosity bless them…

No, but BA as a business have invested capital into running a company, they operate at risk. Unions dont, they just take members subscriptions and blackmail firms - What do they do for the UK economy?

You sign contract, you work to that contract, you don't like it, leave. Going on strike, breach of contact - should be fired.

Anonba Jun 24, 22 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 34366701)
No, but BA as a business have invested capital into running a company, they operate at risk. Unions dont, they just take members subscriptions and blackmail firms - What do they do for the UK economy?

You sign contract, you work to that contract, you don't like it, leave. Going on strike, breach of contact - should be fired.

I think you’ll find that Unions are needed because companies suddenly cut and change contracts.

PGberkshire Jun 24, 22 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by MH1981 (Post 34366613)
Vile. Feel free to find a new airline.

Why should I?

corporate-wage-slave Jun 24, 22 5:13 pm

I have created a wiki to give what I think are the key aspects in a factual way. By all means correct any errors.

I suspect a lot of lurkers and occasional flyers are quite worried about their holiday plans, so they will be looking through this thread for information on that, rather than the broader issue of the role of trade unions in society.

MH1981 Jun 24, 22 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 34366708)
Why should I?

Personally I think the staff deserve better than serving someone so self indulgent.

You describe a workforce, there to serve you, but desperate (and fully entitled) to be paid what they were paid pre pandemic…as childish.

BA staff getting what they deserve and you getting away on your holiday are not mutually exclusive. You mention it’s a free market…use it.

Alternatively show a little sympathy and if you’re impacted BA will find you an alternative flight.

wtcmor Jun 24, 22 6:54 pm

Do you think there is any chance they will ground the airline completely like Alan Joyce did at Qantas? A slightly stressed Ausie here. We haven't been able ro travel in UK and Europe for 2 years and now another actual or potential hurdle.

krispy84 Jun 24, 22 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by wtcmor (Post 34366915)
Do you think there is any chance they will ground the airline completely like Alan Joyce did at Qantas? A slightly stressed Ausie here. We haven't been able ro travel in UK and Europe for 2 years and now another actual or potential hurdle.

Most posts here are likely to be wet finger guesstimates at best.

My view is that a total grounding is at the least likely end of the spectrum.

rapidex Jun 24, 22 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 34366701)

BA have not enough staff to run the program, and are cancelling flights as a consequence. You want even more staff to leave, how is that going to help?