Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ground staff at LHR: potential strike action, July 2022

BA ground staff at LHR: potential strike action, July 2022

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

British Airway's employed ground staff, based mainly at LHR. have voted in favour of strike action in respect of a dispute relating to pay and conditions. This strike ballot is valid for 6 months, and allows the unions to nominate strike dates, provided the employer has 2 weeks notice of the strike. The general tendency in the UK is for relatively short strike dates, typically a day or two, but several of them separate by several days.

Updated: 2/July/2022, no strike dates have been provided - 2 weeks notice must be provided by the unions. This means there will be no strikes before 17 July 2022. However though the ballot is valid 6 months, the first strike needs to be within 4 weeks, which is 23 July 2022. This can extended by a further 4 weeks if the employer agrees. So that suggests the first strike date could be between 17 and 22 July, but probably towards the back end of that timeframe. Negotiations will almost certainly be going on to avert the strike.

Those involved in this strike are check-in staff, baggage handlers, lounge staff, gate agents, some turnaround managers, and related airport staff. Cabin and flight crew are not in this dispute. LGW and LCY flights are not in this dispute. Contract ground agents - at LHR and out stations - are also not involved. Some roles can be performed by management, but it is unlikely that core activties at LHR Terminal 3 and Terminal 5 can avoid significant disruption. If flights are disrupted by strkes then usually BA allows people to move their flights to alternative dates and other arrangements (e.g. rebooking on AA). There is a separate dispute being worked through involving call centre staff and engineers, but there is no ballot at this point, so any strike is some way off.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 22, 3:55 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jeedos View Post
BA did this for my flight to Malta; they cancelled one BA flight number but moved me to an I2 operated flight on a BA flight number.

Does it matter? I2/IB short haul product is no different to BA's.
I dont think OP is concerned between different products, more that at short notice, if the strike goes ahead his flight is CANX.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
BA Strike

Based on this article, it seems a BA strike is possible: https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...rrier-in-chaos although I haven't seen it reported in other news sources. Any updates on this?
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
There was a thread about it here but there's been no other posts for over a week.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ly-2022-a.html

A raw Google search will also throw up a few news articles too.
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
There was a thread about it here but there's been no other posts for over a week.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ly-2022-a.html

A raw Google search will also throw up a few news articles too.
Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
The strike ballot closes on the 23rd June and I believe there's a 7 day minimum legal notice required to BA so any strike will be at the very earliest from around the 1st July onwards.

However, as the result isn't known yet but assuming it's a yes (just a personal hunch) then any negotiations might start but if they fail I'd predict any strike will be targeted at the start of the English School Holidays which I think is around the 22nd July ish?
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (Plat Pro), IHG Plat Ambassador
To be honest (and regardless how it sounds), there was never better time to strike. BA already has problems with hiring people, so they cannot fire these who strike. Might be an easy win for employees.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
To be honest (and regardless how it sounds), there was never better time to strike. BA already has problems with hiring people, so they cannot fire these who strike. Might be an easy win for employees.
an employer canít simply fire people who are participating in a legal strike - regardless of whether they can easily hire replacements or not.
flygirl68, Joeykins, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC , IHG
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
an employer canít simply fire people who are participating in a legal strike - regardless of whether they can easily hire replacements or not.
not yet anyway 🤣
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Delboy65 View Post
not yet anyway 🤣
i doubt ever
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:46 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
If you have been at a Company less than 2 years then the Company can pretty much decide to fire you as it pleases in the UK. I would think, given the turnover at BA, that there are many employees with less than 2 years tenure. However, I would agree that now is probably a good a time to Strike whilst there is a shortage of labour and the recession still perhaps a few months away.
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
If you have been at a Company less than 2 years then the Company can pretty much decide to fire you as it pleases in the UK.
Some protections still stand for those under 2 years, so no they canít fire you as they please, and certainly not for participation in a legal strike. It would be deemed an automatically unfair dismissal.
NickB, Hoch, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I took this as meaning BA needs to keep its current employees as it is already short staffed.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
They can because it is breach of contract. However this dismissal will automatically be classed as an unfair dismissal but you will have to go through a tribunal for recompense. It would be highly unusual if BA would do this though.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 2:09 am

Deleted.
Old Jun 19, 22, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Or, put another way: never a better time to be sat at the negotiating table with a mandate for strike action! Let's hope that both sides are eager to settle this without an extremely damaging strike!
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread