Rights when giving up seat for friend

Old Jun 5, 22, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
And sorry. I don't want to turn this into an argument. I'm just quite grumpy and tired. As ever the responses here are insightful.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie View Post
Will the crew be out of hours. That's data that should be available to them right now. They may need to say "if it lands by X then you're golden, if not then you're not".

Those crew rostered on at a point in time this morning / today. That is known data. Just because they haven't told someone in Manchester isn't really my problem. My customer support teams would either know or be able to find out.
Again see the advice. Ground staff at PSA wonít know this. The whole rotation would have been cancelled. If this is there first rotation of the day for this crew they wonít be anywhere near limits.

At this stage your worrying about this issue is not actually helping. You are completely over thinking this and actually stressing yourself much more than is necessary.
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Your EDT is now 22:49, your inbound aircraft is expected to land 21:37. Good luck 👍🏻
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:08 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
I understand that point of view but they could fix that by any kind of communication at all. There have been no announcements of any description. Here and App in the air are literally the only way we know anything about this. I don't think it's unreasonable to contact a customer service line to understand whether I should continue sitting on the floor in Pisa. If they can't help then they need to get better, not me contact them and be called out for "wasting their time".
Safe flight home....sorry to hear your trip ended like this....
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I'm just quite grumpy and tired.
You have hidden it well

Seriously tho, I know this is frustrating and we have all been there. The natural human reaction is to stress and worry, but you need to learn to chill. No amount of calls or worrying is going to change anything and it doesnít help, and as noted above on the advice given its unlikely there will be an issue with hours.
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Will the crew be out of hours. That's data that should be available to them right now. They may need to say "if it lands by X then you're golden, if not then you're not".

Those crew rostered on at a point in time this morning / today. That is known data. Just because they haven't told someone in Manchester isn't really my problem. My customer support teams would either know or be able to find out.
Being Finnair I would find it even more unlikely that they go out of hours in PSA, since I suspect their contract says "all nights will be in London". Contact centres are great for selling you a ticket or changing your ticket, but much less good at other stuff, including current operations. Happily FT is better in this space on the whole. Hopefully your A321 jet is now looming into view.
Old Jun 5, 22, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Will the crew be out of hours. That's data that should be available to them right now.
No call centre is going to know, not least because probably the only person who may (repeat may) know is the captain, and (s)he is probably a bit busy right now.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
No call centre is going to know, not least because probably the only person who may (repeat may) know is the captain, and (s)he is probably a bit busy right now.
OK... I'm now confused. Does the captain sign the staff on? Is that not done by a computer? If it is the captain then I'm educated and amazed... I ran a marquee company and even we had a computer... I could tell immediately how long everyone had been working for on any given day (very important for 17 year olds). I think (if memory served) it cost me about £10 a month for the software... volunteering we use GRS which, equally, knows when everyone reports "on" at the start of the day.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Does the captain sign the staff on?
The captain is in command. If there's any question of the crew going out of hours, the captain will consult with the rest of the crew; the cabin crew may discuss amongst themselves too. Then the captain will make a decision about whether to continue. Call centres, who probably have less information than we here can feed you with, are just not going to be able to second-guess the crew's decision.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
The captain is in command. If there's any question of the crew going out of hours, the captain will consult with the rest of the crew; the cabin crew may discuss amongst themselves too. Then the captain will make a decision about whether to continue. Call centres, who probably have less information than we here can feed you with, are just not going to be able to second-guess the crew's decision.
Thank you. I have learned something (which I love). I thought crew hours were binary. It's interesting to learn they are subjective. Sincerely, thank you (whatever I write is going to sound sarcastic and I promise it is not meant that way).
Globaliser and jmd like this.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Captainsís discretion is just that - it is their decision and ultimate accountability. That said, your flight would never have left LHR had it been relying on discretionary time.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:31 pm

The Commander will be able to ask or check what time the crew members all reported for duty. The outbound to Pisa was delayed whilst they awaited crew to arrive so Iíd imagine they have either positioned in from HEL to LHR to then operate, or have been nightstopping in LHR and couldnít report any earlier due to minimum rest requirements. Either way the most limiting case for FTLs is the crew reporting in HEL then positioning to LHR to operate LHR-PSA-LHR. I canít see any mega delays in any HEL - LHR sector today by Finnair so Iíd imagine they have nightstopped at LHR.

Either way, plenty in the tank so to speak for hours left on the clock, with commanders discretion as a possible backup.
Globaliser, wrp96, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Swanhunter;3430977 That said, your flight would never have left LHR had it been relying on discretionary time.[/QUOTE]

Great, maybe tell the call centre that.
Old Jun 5, 22, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Call centres really donít get involved in / the info for, operational matters. Best to rely on flight trackers / the FT hive mind.
Old Jun 5, 22, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

We got on a plane! Hooray! Now a further 35 minute delay because of something something.

Mood music from the captain is trying to blame weather...

Search this Thread