Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UuA on AA, flight now missing from AA's PNR

UuA on AA, flight now missing from AA's PNR

Old Jun 5, 22, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GCH
Question UuA on AA, flight now missing from AA's PNR

Hi all, hoping for some insight here.

Booked 2 pax on a single reservation: DUB-LHR-LAX and return, in business class, for September this year. Booked direct with BA. The LHR-LAX and LAX-LHR flights are operated by AA, under BA codes (BA1609 to LAX, BA1509 from LAX). Shortly after the booking the itinerary was visible and manageable in BA's MMB, and also in AA's system, using AA's own PNR. Ticket numbers were issued on 125- stock, as well.

MMB offered us an upgrade using Avios on BA1609 to LAX from Business to First, which I took. The system did not offer an upgrade on the return journey. I was mildly surprised to see the system allowed an I fare to upgrade, but I'm usually one for "system says yes."

The result is a bit mysterious. The flight was swapped on MMB with the AA-prime number (AA137) in the correct class. However, on AA: the flight is just gone. AA only sees the "return" portion of the original itinerary (LAX-LHR-DUB).

I have a few guesses here, e.g; AA is still processing the upgrade, there is a new hidden AA PNR with the First-class booking. I've had a few experiences with BA being slow at ticketing and various other cross-airline gremlins, so I'm wondering really how much I need to worry/push on this & what to ask BA (or AA) for if there's push to be done.

Fervently hoping this was clear and not a terrible ramble,
-erifax
Old Jun 5, 22, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by erifax View Post
The result is a bit mysterious. The flight was swapped on MMB with the AA-prime number (AA137) in the correct class. However, on AA: the flight is just gone. AA only sees the "return" portion of the original itinerary (LAX-LHR-DUB).

I have a few guesses here, e.g; AA is still processing the upgrade, there is a new hidden AA PNR with the First-class booking.
Personally, I'd put a little bit of money on the last of these. As the BA PNR is the prime booking record, what you could see on AA was only a mirror with the bits that AA needed to know. I suspect that what happened was that when you cancelled your booking for BA1609 in the prime record, it was also cancelled out of the AA mirror; and when you were rebooked on to AA137, a new mirror record was created in the AA system. The fact that the two flight numbers happen to be operated by the same aircraft doesn't change the fact that they're two different flights for many purposes.
Old Jun 6, 22, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Personally, I'd put a little bit of money on the last of these. As the BA PNR is the prime booking record, what you could see on AA was only a mirror with the bits that AA needed to know. I suspect that what happened was that when you cancelled your booking for BA1609 in the prime record, it was also cancelled out of the AA mirror; and when you were rebooked on to AA137, a new mirror record was created in the AA system. The fact that the two flight numbers happen to be operated by the same aircraft doesn't change the fact that they're two different flights for many purposes.
Do you suspect there's a way to tease this info out of BA's MMB? So far for that booking it treats the mirror record in AA the same for both AA-operated sectors (to/from LAX). Ideally would like to select seats on the upgraded sector.
Old Jun 6, 22, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you suspect there's a way to tease this info out of BA's MMB?
I don't have any personal experience of this, but ISTR it being said that you can try calling BA, or you can try calling AA, or you can try poking around in your booking when called up using other websites such as QF's.
Old Jun 6, 22, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I don't have any personal experience of this, but ISTR it being said that you can try calling BA, or you can try calling AA, or you can try poking around in your booking when called up using other websites such as QF's.
Tried AY's system a few days ago (no luck), forgot about QF's -- checked and sadly no luck :-(

Have a pending question into BA's Twitter team, hopefully they get back to me. In the back of my mind is a fear that BA's systems have somehow put this reservation into a bad state: "reserved" on the BA side but totally nothing on the AA side. That would make for an unfortunate day at the airport.
Old Jun 6, 22, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Tried AY's system a few days ago (no luck), forgot about QF's -- checked and sadly no luck :-(

Have a pending question into BA's Twitter team, hopefully they get back to me. In the back of my mind is a fear that BA's systems have somehow put this reservation into a bad state: "reserved" on the BA side but totally nothing on the AA side. That would make for an unfortunate day at the airport.
Chatted with AA; they found another PNR on their system that looks right. They also advised the this PNR does not have tickets attached.

Wonder if it's just in a queue for ticketing or if it's a genuine stuff up from BA.
Old Jun 6, 22, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder if it's just in a queue for ticketing or if it's a genuine stuff up from BA.
My guess is that the ticket has not yet been reissued by BA (and this will be for BA to do). Your travel is so far away that other cases will have much higher priority.
PETER01 likes this.

Search this Thread