Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick to Islamabad Suspended

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Gatwick to Islamabad Suspended

BA have suspended flights on the Gatwick Islamabad route with nothing available to book from 16 June to 21 November. Anybody hazard a guess as to the reason why? Seems odd dates too
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
I have a feeling this will impact the once daily MAN-LGW which is connection heavy onto the ISB flight.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:04 am

I heard (anecdotally) that the route's load factor went off a cliff when it moved from LHR to LGW. It's a mystery to me why they did that.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 13901
I heard (anecdotally) that the route's load factor went off a cliff when it moved from LHR to LGW. It's a mystery to me why they did that.
It certainly helped to improve the punctuality of the LHR-MAN evening departures when it did!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
The route was only recently (I think Feb) increased to once daily after they withdrew from Lahore.

If they had low load factors don’t know why they scrapped the route entirely rather than reducing to the previous 3x a week. Especially with summer around the corner when the route is always busy.

Passengers with existing reservations are being rebooked onto QR as I understand
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Load factor and profitability are two different things I guess
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Load factor and profitability are two different things I guess
Sure but when you’re going out half full (as I’m being told they are doing these days) it’s not long before somebody think whether that bird shouldn’t be flying elsewhere. And it seems they already are, which is a shame in my opinion. That route should’ve stayed at LHR, perhaps with a 787. Utter and complete mystery as to why they thought that a high density 777 with basically only direct traffic and no longhaul to longhaul connections was going to work…
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:35 pm

Sure but when you’re going out half full (as I’m being told they are doing these days) it’s not long before somebody think whether that bird shouldn’t be flying elsewhere. And it seems they already are, which is a shame in my opinion. That route should’ve stayed at LHR, perhaps with a 787. Utter and complete mystery as to why they thought that a high density 777 with basically only direct traffic and no longhaul to longhaul connections was going to work…
Agreed

let me rephrase, maybe, despite full loads from LHR, the cost structure wasn't profitable, hence the move to LGW, thoughts being, even if they loose a few passengers, they will have lower costs and the P/L will improve.

As you say, this plane will be flying to the US shortly on a more profitable route
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Deleted! Wrong route!

Last edited by TedToToe; Jun 5, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: Executive Club
On my route (a completely different route also from Gatwick), BA has also pulled its direct service also until November. A friend who works for government had a meeting with BA to discuss why, and was told that during the pandemic BA had decommissioned quite a lot of aircraft and now that all restrictions have been lifted, new routes have been introduced and they are genuinely short of aircraft. This is why they have had to cut certain routes until November. I'm guessing that the Islamabad route is normally also flown by Gatwick 777's, so I'm guessing the same reason would apply.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
There was speculation on Twitter that the reason behind this is that politcal issues have meant there is no guarantee of getting fuel for the return journey.
However, having seen that a similar move has been taken to suspend Doha, the load-factor/profitability/availability of crew/fleet answers sound more likely. Could be a combination of these of course.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
There was speculation on Twitter that the reason behind this is that politcal issues have meant there is no guarantee of getting fuel for the return journey.
However, having seen that a similar move has been taken to suspend Doha, the load-factor/profitability/availability of crew/fleet answers sound more likely. Could be a combination of these of course.
Im due to fly Doha from LGW in Jan, lets hope its still CANX, I can get rerouted with Qatar
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Im due to fly Doha from LGW in Jan, lets hope its still CANX, I can get rerouted with Qatar
easy for you to say. i am booked in July but in WTP. would you like to guess which cabin that will be rebooked on QR?
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
easy for you to say. i am booked in July but in WTP. would you like to guess which cabin that will be rebooked on QR?
Erm, do a Craig and they will give you J
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have made a similar comment on the LGW to Doha. One reason is the shortage of long haul cabin crew until later in the year.
New entrants have been recruited but do not start training until late August/early September. This is because priority at the moment
is being given to Heathrow training courses. This is why LGW to Islamabad will resume in late October.
I also have heard that Gatwick to Manchester has also been providing good connecting traffic to the other Gatwick long hauls as well as to Islamabad so it may or may not survive.
FamilyOf6, TedToToe and 13901 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.