Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - AUP'd, now booking is split

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is the baggage allowance shown on the ticket now for each booking? If it shows that there is a charge for bags 1 and 2 , then expect to pay the AA domestic bag fee for the domestic AA flight and then the international charge when checking in for the international flight ( assuming AA allows you yo check bags just to Phoenix ). If the bags are checked through to London, then just the international fee

If you check the booking in BA;s manage booking, what does it say there?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Question, why do you need to visit the customs office exiting the US? That’s not normally required.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
I guess I'm confused and sorry for the novice question, but unless the other person traveling is also OWE, why you did you think you could check 6 bags without a fee? If you are traveling on one PNR does the companion also get the same baggage allowance? So 6 total (3+3)?
This is specific to AA. All travellers ok the same PNR inherit the allowance of the one with the highest status.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by wrp96
Question, why do you need to visit the customs office exiting the US? That’s not normally required.
It's professional equipment that has been imported tax/duty free with a carnet. Customs must inspect all items on the way out to make sure we're taking every item back out of the country (otherwise we're liable for tax/duty on the items left in the USA)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is the baggage allowance shown on the ticket now for each booking? If it shows that there is a charge for bags 1 and 2 , then expect to pay the AA domestic bag fee for the domestic AA flight and then the international charge when checking in for the international flight ( assuming AA allows you yo check bags just to Phoenix ). If the bags are checked through to London, then just the international fee

If you check the booking in BA;s manage booking, what does it say there?
Can't see anywhere on any AA documentation that says either person can take bags. My FF number is definitely in the AA booking.

Both bookings on the BA website show "No checked-in baggage" under the AA segment.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At the bottom of the AA ticket receipt, it will normally state the cost for 1st and 2nd bags

The BA site showing no checked bags would seem to be key. Assuming you can check it to Phoenix, you can expect to be charged for all 6 bags by BA (USD750) since you have selected a booking type that allows for no checked baggage. For the flight to Phoenix, expect to be charged for 3 bags ($220) - that would seem to be the only part where there may be a slim chance that it may waive the fee

The change that you made to upgrade will have made no difference to the $750
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:06 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by c1223
Two people on the booking. One person (myself) AUP'd on the way out there.
You don't state the relationship between the two of you... but I'm curious. Two people on one booking suggests you are travelling together - so it strikes me as a bit DYKWIA upgrading yourself leaving your oppo behind.

I assume not your significant other, as if so, you'll be in need of a good divorce lawyer!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
You don't state the relationship between the two of you... but I'm curious. Two people on one booking suggests you are travelling together - so it strikes me as a bit DYKWIA upgrading yourself leaving your oppo behind.

I assume not your significant other, as if so, you'll be in need of a good divorce lawyer!
who cares frankly? The op asked about a ticket issue not about personal life advice and I don’t think FTers should have to tell the forum any more than they spontaneously wish to on their lives in order to have questions about airlines answered.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is perfectly normal and unavoidable

If you had both upgraded on the outbound flight, then the passengers would have stayed together, but with the reissue such that the bookings are not identical, that had to happem

Nothing that you can do to undo it now

It is indeed 2 separate bookings now

AA only provides max 23kg per bag for economy class, so only 3 x 23kg
isn't it 32kg?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 5, 2022 at 4:09 am Reason: remove snark
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cyberhacker

Don't worry - I see the funny side.

I'm travelling with a work colleague, so no upcoming divorce (that I know of).
wrp96, etiene and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:37 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Don't worry - I see the funny side.

I'm travelling with a work colleague, so no upcoming divorce (that I know of).
:-)
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It’s an interesting thread. I’ve just got back from Chicago where, on the outbound trip from LAS, we checked six bags as my step-daughter is moving there to do her graduate degree.

To confirm some of the statements above, everyone on the booking (there were three of us) inherits my OWE status baggage allowance - so three bags per person at a maximum of 70 lbs.

That said, the agent did try to charge us $40 each for the 2nd bag as we were in MCE but quickly realised her mistake and so there was no charge. Had my step-daughter (with no status) been travelling on her own and checked all six bags then we calculated it would have been $820 in total baggage fees! Another win for having status

AA does have quite a flexible baggage policy in that you always get - when it comes to status - the higher of the allowance based on your status at the time of ticketing or when travelling. It *may* be possible to show your original receipt to the checkin agent and have them accept / price all your bags based on the original ticket.

If not, then as this is clearly a business trip it seems as if you could just write off / claim a deduction for what would be a legitimate business expense?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
how did this pan out?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Currently in the Centurion lounge at PHX. I managed to negotiate with CBP at PHX that they wouldn't need to inspect the items, so we didn't need to short check. AA have no problem waiving baggage fees in a situation like this where the PNR has been split. In fact, their system has exactly that listed as a reason for waiving fees. It did require a supervisor, but there wasn't any question of the OWE benefits extending over to the other booking. They could see that the booking had been split, and furthermore the supervisor even recognised it had been split because of the upgrade.

So long and short of it is that all 6 bags are on their way direct from SMF to LHR and we haven't had to pay any excess fees.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Shame BA seem to have misplaced 3 of the bags. Terminal 3 was a zoo, and having the customs documents with lost bags takes a while.

Weirdly, they have misplaced three bags that were all on one passenger's ticket. I imagine there is something else that has happened there...
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Shame BA seem to have misplaced 3 of the bags.
How do you know it is BA and not AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.