Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

31 May 2022 : British Airways operated by Comair (South Africa) flights suspended

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

31 May 2022 : British Airways operated by Comair (South Africa) flights suspended

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Second suspension this year… this time looks like for financial reasons: https://www.news24.com/fin24/compani...ights-20220531
Old May 31, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Thomathy
Second suspension this year… this time looks like for financial reasons: https://www.news24.com/fin24/compani...ights-20220531
Wow, how lucky a I that I flew today
Thomathy likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ouch. I wonder if they have a way back from this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:12 pm

Will / could IAG as a group invest in Comair?
Old May 31, 2022, 5:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this. Not looking great for comair is it! I had flights booked later this year and wondering what BA will do with them now they are off sale. South African Airlines allow you to hold flights for a few days so have locked In my dates just in case. Which is probably looking like the more likely outcome now!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:16 am

Just to note if anyone is affected and has a bunch of virgin miles, 30k virgin miles for return flights from JNB to CPT in Business and about £110 in taxes. Need to call virgin to get them to check and book availability but it was a pretty simple call for me this morning.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
I literally just went to book some JNB-CPT flights with Comair for December and thought it was strange that nothing was showing up, then read the news. Anyone got a crystal ball and thinks they'll be back up and running, or is it better to just book with someone else?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I literally just went to book some JNB-CPT flights with Comair for December and thought it was strange that nothing was showing up, then read the news. Anyone got a crystal ball and thinks they'll be back up and running, or is it better to just book with someone else?
They seem to believe they can get financing again and get up and running. Given their size I would guess thats possible but this isnt the first rescue and with what happened with their safety grounding a little while back I am starting to wonder how long they will last. Surely BA has some weight in this but who knows. Its not looking great for them thats for sure!
BAW845_Matt, cosmo74 and Mark Abdy like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For December I would sit on my hands right now and see what happens in the next few weeks. There are plenty of other options on that route.
B747-437B, cosmo74 and Mark Abdy like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Rebooking guidelines issued today Wednesday 1 June 2022, update 2.

This applies to BA issued tickets starting 125, longhaul travel, bought up to and including 31 May 2022, with travel in June or July.

- allow refund, even if the flight is not shown as cancelled.
- alternatively allow rebooking on BA direct services (so typically LHR-CPT-JNB becomes LHR-JNB)
- alternative rebook into Airlink, preserving Business / Economy cabin, however downgrade from Business to Economy is allowed (e.g. on Economy only routes).
Select carefully, you are only allowed one change.

Shorthaul / internal BA ZA bookings: Buy With Confidence still applies, so refunds for cancellations, rebooking to a later date, FTV for voluntary changes. Their contact centre can be emailed on
[email protected].
oxfordjames and pmramsay like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 1, 2022 at 4:45 am
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I'm a fan of Comair. The old style Club Europe cabins with the extra legroom and the SLOW lounges are great. Much better than mainstream BA, but maybe that's part of the problem. I have just returned from RSA and during my stay there I did 4 sectors with Comair, I hope they aren't going to turn out to be my last.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
I think this will be an issue for BA if it goes on for too long. There is a limited service to JNB at the moment with only 1-flight/day on an A350/B787 instead of the 1xA380 & 1xB747, which were always full.

Flew back from CPT last week and the 777 was completely full
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
This might explain why the LHR-JNB-CPT flight I was tracking in Google went from £4k to £11k today!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Travelling JNB - PLZ today. Checked in last night with no sign of a problem. Boarding passes on phone. During the night, i had 5 messages from TripCase advising flight cancelled then reinstated. Last cancellation according to TripCase was at 8:50 this morning advising cancellation again. Flight due to depart at 16:25. Although booked on BA.com, we have still had no notification from BA about anything. No answer from BA Gold line on 2 x 45 minute calls and absolutely zero presence from BA or Comair at the airport. Manage my booking offers no options available on any day for they next week. There isn’t even a notice on the shutters at the Comair counter. Left to our own devices, we have rebooked with Airlink ourselves, in economy, at a not insignificant sum of £800 for two returning next week. This is more than the business class Comair flights cost.

So for anyone travelling, expect no help at the airport. Don’t even expect BA to contact you. You are on your own. In this day and age, an unsurprisingly poor effort from the BA brand. Mr and Mrs Harry now drinking the Bidvest lounge dry through sheer frustration at the non existent customer service from BA. Just how much longer can they carry on being so inept at their customers expense?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
I happen to have PLZ-JNB to SEA in a few weeks. All in club.
Airlink only economy on the PLZ route. So I need to arrange the rebook but will end up being downgraded in the process. Will you get the difference between economy and business refunded? The issue that HH68 points out is that at late notice the economy flights are expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.