Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

31 May 2022 : British Airways operated by Comair (South Africa) flights suspended

31 May 2022 : British Airways operated by Comair (South Africa) flights suspended

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 22, 7:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 9, 22, 9:20 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Given the new guideliness, I don't think you will have any problems getting BAH to rebook you, either to LVI or some other way to VFA. Just give them a call, once you know clearly your preferences.
Thanks c-w-s, just got off the phone from BAH and they have rebooked us onto the Airlink flights. Ended up going for the 11.50am flight to BBK as didn't fancy the tighter connection time of the 11.00am LVI flight given BA changed us from the earlier BA55 to BA57 a while ago with scheduled arrival of 09.15. Return VFA to CPT direct which is actually better than our original Comair flight which was connecting through JNB.

A relief to have it all sorted but feel very sad for all the Comair / Kulala staff. I hope they get decent settlements at least.
Old Jun 9, 22, 10:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Gold
A shame - I flew Comair once and thought they were excellent.

And who can forget Kulula's genius "The Unofficial Airline of the You-Know-What" during the World Cup in South Africa.
citiflyerUK likes this.
Old Jun 9, 22, 1:14 pm

Just had email cancellations for my December flights with Comair (JNB - CPT and CPT - JNB) Not part of a long haul booking, one booked with cash the other with miles. No options to move to another flight when you select find another flight but a quick and easy cancel and refund button showing (without offering a voucher for once) Was looking forward to the Slow lounge at JNB but sadly its not to be and I just hope SAA manage to survive now for my new flights booked with virgin miles!
Old Jun 9, 22, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by GinSling76 View Post
According to news reports today, even if Comair gets funding to secure its future, flights are unlikely to be resumed until 1 September due to the time needed to conclude all legal processes and prepare operationally. If that is the case, how soon will BA extend its rebooking policy and is there any hope that this will cover alternative nearby airports rather than direct point to point replacement flights?

The only suitable alternative for my 30 July JNB-VFA booking is Airlink flights to LVI or BBK which BA are currently refusing to rebook. If I have to accept a refund and book these alternatives myself I am looking at significant extra cost that I guess I will then have to try to recover through travel insurance claim? Not even sure if it would be covered?
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
if you just got the mail about the flight on the 13th then I expect in 10 days you will get the mail about the 23rd. currently it is still scheduled but, in my opinion, it is unlikely that it will fly
they have not cancelled everything in one go, they are "creeping" the cancellations. this minimises the traffic contacting the call centres for rebooking, and keeps it to those with the flights nearest, which I can understand. I would not be happy if I could not get through to change a flight that was scheduled for next week because the call centre was clogged up with people who had bookings in october and november
Got the email around noon today (UTC-6) that our CPT - JNB flight has been cancelled. Same song and dance, had to call a couple of times just to be put on hold. Finally got through and I was told there is no current agreement in place to be booked on other airlines for the date of my flight (6/23). The agent thought there would be an agreement in the next couple of days. meanwhile, I'm to just keep calling back...
woodiee likes this.
Old Jun 9, 22, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA blue, Emirates blue
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
Got the email around noon today (UTC-6) that our CPT - JNB flight has been cancelled. Same song and dance, had to call a couple of times just to be put on hold. Finally got through and I was told there is no current agreement in place to be booked on other airlines for the date of my flight (6/23). The agent thought there would be an agreement in the next couple of days. meanwhile, I'm to just keep calling back...
Same for me today with my JNB/DUR/JNB sectors in January as part of my LHR/DUR/LHR flights. I am going away tomorrow for three weeks and wonít be in a position to phone BA until I return and I have had no luck trying to find alternative flights as their email invites me to.
I suppose the above applies to me regarding BA getting agreements with other carriers. Shame as I liked Comair.
Old Jun 9, 22, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BBC reports that Comair's lawyers have requested the airline go into liquidation:
Lawyers for South African airline, Comair, have requested for it to be liquidated after failing to get funding to keep the firm going.
Company bosses said it had been affected by the coronavirus-related travel restrictions and the recent increase in fuel prices due to the Ukraine-Russian war.
"We did our utmost to secure the funding, but when we were unable to do so had no option [but] to lodge the application," said company lawyer Richard Ferguson.
"It is an extremely sad day for the company, its employees, its customers and South African aviation," he continued.
All employees, and customers who held bookings or were due a refund, would become creditors of the company, a statement on the airline's website quoted Mr Ferguson as saying.
Bloomberg has Comair operating about 40% of South African passenger aviation, so that's going to be quite the problem for people in ZA as well as BA losing their South African regional feed (and the handy connection between their two ZA destinations to even out loads).
Old Jun 9, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: none
We are returning from Victoria falls on July 31
The Victoria falls to Johannesburg portion is with Comair
The remainder is with BA, but we actually booked it through American Airlines on the following legs
Johannesburg to LHR
LHR to Phoenix
Phoenix to Ontario

AA is now telling us that we canít keep any of this itinerary and weíll have to book new flight which will cost us around $2000pp. Weíre ok with just booking Victoria falls to Johannesburg on our own, but they said we canít.

They havenít cancelled our flights yet. What do you think we should do?
Old Jun 9, 22, 11:46 pm

My thoughts are with the Comair staff affected by this sad news.

I also have a question about what I should expect from BA in this circumstance for the following booking.

We have a booking on a BA ticket to go PLZ-JNB-LHR on 21/11 with the JNB leg in J on Comair and LHR leg in BA F. It is a reward booking also using an Amex 241 voucher. The outbound flight is unaffected as it is just BA LHR-JNB.

Looking at options there is one Airlink flight from PLZ-JNB but it only has Y cabin and the connection times are less good.

If I accept rebooking on this Airlink in Y, will I receive a partial refund and how will this be calculated?

When I added the PLZ leg to the original JNB-LHR flight we paid an additional 15,000 Avios but received a refund of £90 because of lower taxes for the PLZ origin and JNB transit.

There is a much better connection time available with SafAir.

Would this option be open to us? Or would this require cancellation of the PLZ-JNB leg and purchase of a separate ticket? If so, what would be the potential downsides of this?

Can I assume that we would be unable to
check baggage through from PLZ-LHR if we are rebooked on to Airlink or SafAir for the first leg?

Finally, since there would be a long connection in JNB, what are the chances of getting BA to switch us to the earlier LHR flight (there was no reward availability in F at time of booking)?
(This would actually work for both Airlink and SafAir options.)

Thanks for any advice. This is a more complex situation than Iím used to dealing with! In case itís pertinent, I have a gold card.

Last edited by sdmr; Jun 10, 22 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally posted by hajialic
AA is now telling us that we canít keep any of this itinerary and weíll have to book new flight which will cost us around $2000pp. Weíre ok with just booking Victoria falls to Johannesburg on our own, but they said we canít.
:Unquote

I don't for a moment think that BA would unilaterally cancel a complete long-haul itinerary on its own bookings/services where there was a Comair connection in or outbound, indeed the posts above suggest BA is already looking at re-routing the required connections onto other South African domestic carriers.

I appreciate you have booked through AA but I certainly would insist that they don't cancel the whole itinerary and pressure them to follow a policy similar to BA by booking you on an alternative carrier VFA/JNB.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Bullswood; Jun 10, 22 at 12:49 am
Old Jun 10, 22, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by hajialic View Post
We are returning from Victoria falls on July 31
The Victoria falls to Johannesburg portion is with Comair
The remainder is with BA, but we actually booked it through American Airlines on the following legs
Johannesburg to LHR
LHR to Phoenix
Phoenix to Ontario

I would just sit on it for a few days .. it's probable that AAs systems/policies may take a little while to catch up with the situation and given you've got time I think that it's probably best to do that and wait until the VFA-JNB sector is officially cancelled ( I guess it's not which is why they are saying you can't drop it ) .. when it is cancelled then surely they'll be happy with you just leaving it out or may even offer you a rebook onto an alternative VFA-JNB flight
Old Jun 10, 22, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Comair flight cancelled as party of BA Holiday

Had my JNB to CPT flight cancelled for December. Itís part of a flight + car booking. Are there any alternative options I can request from BA or am I on my own to make alternate arrangements? It was a particularly cheap J fare so not keen to rebook at own cost if I can avoid it.
Old Jun 10, 22, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post
Had my JNB to CPT flight cancelled for December. Itís part of a flight + car booking. Are there any alternative options I can request from BA or am I on my own to make alternate arrangements? It was a particularly cheap J fare so not keen to rebook at own cost if I can avoid it.
Details in this thread (just read forward from the last page c-w-s posted and discussed rebooking arrangements):
Old Jun 10, 22, 1:55 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Have a look in this thread about Comair - 31 May 2022 : British Airways operated by Comair (South Africa) flights suspended - and post #72 and responses to that.
Old Jun 10, 22, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
@hajialic I too wonder if it's just that the cancellations haven't worked through the systems yet and you'll be able to drop the leg in a few days' time. Unfortunately prices for those flights have rocketed, understandably. The only alternative from VFA is with FastJet who you won't be able to rebook with, so if you 'need' to fly from Zimbabwe then you might want to book those separately yourselves now. Otherwise BA will usually work with Airlink (or SAA, but they aren't doing regional routes atm), which gives you options from Livingstone Zambia (LVI) or Kasane Botswana (BKK), but you'll have to take into account transfer costs, times and possible visa costs in determining if those options work for you.
Old Jun 10, 22, 4:01 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have experience of crossing the Zambia-Zim border? We were due to fly JNB-VFA on Comair. There are no other flights on our travel days, so BA changed me to LIV. But a local contact has told me that crossing the border can be tricky and we may have to hire a 'fixer'. Any advice appreciated.

Search this Thread