Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staff Tattoo Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think the problem for me with displaying tattoos is that I see tattoos as a way of showing your individuality where as wearing a uniform requires uniformity, to me they should not be mixed.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think the problem for me with displaying tattoos is that I see tattoos as a way of showing your individuality where as wearing a uniform requires uniformity, to me they should not be mixed.
A uniform to me is something that makes somebody recognisable as working for a particular organisation, someone I can immediately identify if I need assistance.

Even the definition of 'smart' dress has very much evolved with the times. Suit & tie in many organisations is nowadays seen as outdated and overly formal.

As long as someone's made an effort to launder and iron their clothes, have a wash, bit of grooming and a spray of something pleasant smelling... crack on as far as I'm concerned. Informality in the approach to customer service is becoming more and more widespread.

I appreciate that much of this is down to generational differences. My Dad will introduce himself in a more formal setting as 'Mr Surname'. I use my first name and feel more comfortable being addressed by such.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:00 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Exactly. The only ones who appear to be offended are those who have them. Tattoos to me are like someone’s religion. I couldn’t care less, just do not impose the, on me.

This thread is about crew at British what passengers do or have are a matter of utmost indifference to me. I’m sharing an aeroplane with them, not inviting them into my house for a cup of tea.
Disabilities/Ugly people/Redhead/letf-handed/women are like someone's religion. I couldn’t care less, just do not impose them, on me.
Do you think any of the above listed should not be cabin crew ? Do you think service would suffer if someone different than you serves you ?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Nor would they dare. For impose read justify.
Look, nobody is imposing anything on you. Daring to doesn’t come into it. And not sure what you mean by “justify”. Nobody has to justify their tattoos to you.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:19 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
....but the key thing is Churchill didn't address parliament with his on display as I recall! Neither does Trudeau I believe!
Quite the difference between addressing parliament and serving someone on an aircraft though.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a bizarre argument. Under that principle, would you demand that every employee dies their hair the same colour and sport exactly same haircut for the sake of "uniformity"?

Wearing a uniform does not require every employee's body to look the same.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
....but the key thing is Churchill didn't address parliament with his on display as I recall! Neither does Trudeau I believe!
Do you believe it would impact on how well they do/did their job if they had? Would it have (had) an adverse affect on their ability to lead their countries?

I have no view one way or the other on the issue of tattoos, but I do find the whole debate around it rather intriguing.
NickB, PETER01 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
This is a bizarre argument. Under that principle, would you demand that every employee dies their hair the same colour and sport exactly same haircut for the sake of "uniformity"?

Wearing a uniform does not require every employee's body to look the same.
It has to stop somewhere and “body art” in my opinion is unnecessary and unacceptable.
PUCCI GALORE and vanmunchen like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:06 am

It has to stop somewhere and “body art” in my opinion is unnecessary and unacceptable.
Hair styles, nail polish, make-up, jewelry... All "body art".
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have a point but tattoos in my opinion are a step too far.
13901 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Tattoos are the new Brexit.

Spike
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Do you believe it would impact on how well they do/did their job if they had? Would it have (had) an adverse affect on their ability to lead their countries?

I have no view one way or the other on the issue of tattoos, but I do find the whole debate around it rather intriguing.
As i already noted.... no it does not make any difference to how somebody does their job.

It is however a subject that clearly from the debate here brings sharply differing opinions. If an airline wishes to take on those sharply differing views then that's its choice. If it were my airline I would not be having tattoos on display from customer facing staff.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
As i already noted.... no it does not make any difference to how somebody does their job.
quite a few people have said that, but whenever pressed they do seem to have some rules about what shouldn’t be allowed around presentation of cabin crew to the passenger. I don’t think anyone has truly advocated a completely rule free environment where crew can look however they feel.

The place the line is being drawn may be changing, but despite some comments on here there clearly still is a line in everyone’s mind, albeit our opinions on where it is differs. It is quite simply not correct for anyone to suggest how someone presents themselves as cabin crew has no effect on how the passenger may view them, and there is clearly some merit to the suggestion that those who take care and pride over their own appearance may be more likely to take some care and pride over the service they deliver.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's a policy change which will likely only affect a minority of Virgin staff, but you only have to look to some of the American carriers to see what happens when grooming standards are relaxed too far - and it was obvious even prior to Alaska Airlines' "gender neutral" push, which has plumbed new depths.

The contrast between AA and BA isn't always noticeable at Heathrow because the former largely operates from T3, but I'm always struck in Paris by the stark contrast in appearance between DL and AF crews.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by KARFA
quite a few people have said that, but whenever pressed they do seem to have some rules about what shouldn’t be allowed around presentation of cabin crew to the passenger. I don’t think anyone has truly advocated a completely rule free environment where crew can look however they feel.

The place the line is being drawn may be changing, but despite some comments on here there clearly still is a line in everyone’s mind, albeit our opinions on where it is differs. It is quite simply not correct for anyone to suggest how someone presents themselves as cabin crew has no effect on how the passenger may view them, and there is clearly some merit to the suggestion that those who take care and pride over their own appearance may be more likely to take some care and pride over the service they deliver.
Personally, I don’t equate tattoos with not taking care and pride in appearance. In fact my own view is that it shows a greater degree of it. Just not an appearance that might be synonymous with the BA image of old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.