Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staff Tattoo Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Have BA decided to allow tattoos? Did I miss that announcement …… noting this is the BA Board? Should this chat not be over in the VS Board?

aks120
simonsmith likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aks120
Have BA decided to allow tattoos? Did I miss that announcement …… noting this is the BA Board? Should this chat not be over in the VS Board?

aks120
Hypotheticals get discussed on here all the time, this is no different. It's topical.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:59 pm

It really doesn't matter whether we like or dislike tattoos on cabin crew, because one thing can be guaranteed - there will be some passengers who will be greatly offended.. as in offended and must express said 'offendedness' loudly and profanity-filled. Things may become entertaining.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd call it more an opinion that's years out of date than snobbery.
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Similarly, you might not be surprised to find a flight attendant festooned with tattoos on a LS 757 to Alicante, but are they really appropriate in BA F to JFK?
I beg to differ... it's just snobbery.

As LS have a no tattoo policy anyway. But I guess cameramaker would never bee seen dead on a LCC, so wouldn't know just how good LS are as an airline.
HIDDY, m0hamed, the810 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:17 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I beg to differ... it's just snobbery.
+1.
the810 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Read this thread with interest, it's a bit disheartening tbh as I'd not really considered just how strongly some feel about seeing tattoos in 2022, and I find it utterly bizarre to suggest tattoos are 'woke' or a product of a woke society.

I've a couple of sleeves, they cost more than an F return to JFK and they've made no difference to my career, the businesses I've run, or my public service. When I need them covered up I cover them up, but most often nowadays they're not because attitudes have changed immensely, particularly in the last few years.

I judge someone by what they do and the actions that they take, not how they look, so if BA, LH, AF, or any other flag carrier permitted them to be visible in *clutches pearls* J or F, it wouldn't even cross my mind that the service I might get could be impacted.
choosethedrew, the810 and hundreds like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Exactly. The only ones who appear to be offended are those who have them. Tattoos to me are like someone’s religion. I couldn’t care less, just do not impose the, on me.
Not offended, more bemused that in 2022 there are people who still think we should all dress like it’s 1952.

What’s wonderful about a suit? Put an idiot in a suit and you’ve still got an idiot, just one wearing clothes you approve of.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by abraxias
Not offended, more bemused that in 2022 there are people who still think we should all dress like it’s 1952.

What’s wonderful about a suit? Put an idiot in a suit and you’ve still got an idiot, just one wearing clothes you approve of.
i do not see it as a suit, i see it as a uniform

i think there is a lot to be said about a uniform, it shows you have met a level of professionalism, it reminds you of the standards to behave by when you wear it, it reassures the people who see you wearing it that you have met acceptable training standards (and in an airline this is arguably the most important)....as an example i have no idea if the people in the front 2 seats are on day 1 or day 1000, but the fact they are wearing that uniform means it does not really matter
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:01 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by abraxias

Actually I was not around in 1952 surprising though it may seem. What bemuses me is that we live in an age so image conscious that people care less what they look like. It seems to me that people seem obsessed with how they look and what others think of them.

I suppose that I prefer my idiots to look neat, tidy, and smart. That’s my perception. Like it or not. I hope that BA never allows crew members to have tattoos that are visible to the public.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You were not around in 1952, why, were you in another country? 🤪
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:32 pm

In the distant past I have been rather snobby about tattoos
I wouldn't have one personally.

But in the bigger scheme of things I really don't care any more. There are much more important things to get het up about.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Shriek! You will be in trouble now ! You may have your Pucci removed ! Or is it tattooed on ? And if so where?
choosethedrew and Whiterose like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you

You have a death wish?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:48 pm

We all wear umforms of some sort or other, be they formal ones supplied by a company or self imposed uniforms. Bank managers look a certain way because it identifies them as serious and trustworthy, punks look like punks to be visibly part of a particular group, and we all do something similar. Fashion, is the biggest con ever as it pretends to allow one to show individuality, when it actually only allows one to show conformity, wearing fashionable clothes is really just wearing an urban uniform in an attempt to be seen to be part of the cool gang.

All this begs the question "why do we do this?" and the answer is fairly simple, we do it because we all make quick and dirty decisions about people every day. Every time we see someone we make small but important decisions based upon how the other person looks, this is a survival instinct and it has developed because it works. It may not be perfect but it works most of the time. It is why the fake policeman is so dangerous.

So, of course people with tattoos get judged for having them, just as people without them do, we judge by appearance, those judgments can be negative and positive. Some uniforms say that you are professional, some say manual labour, none tell you about the quality of the person in the uniform tattoos are merely the latest modern trend in social signaling.

Quite what that signal is changes depending on your age. But like all fashion, what looks great now can look rather embarrassing 30 years on, unlike clothes though a tattoo is a lot more difficult to throw away when it is no longer cool and trendy.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jun 13, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.