Flight Departs Before Lounge Opens?

Old May 30, 22, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Flight Departs Before Lounge Opens?

I recently flew from JNB to MRU in Club. When I bought the ticket the flight was due to depart at 9am and it was updated to 7.30am (which seems to be the departure times for flights from May onwards). As it is a Comair flight, passengers have access to the SLOW lounge, but this doesn't open until 7.30am. A flight is therefore being sold which makes it impossible to access a lounge beforehand.

Lounge access is clearly a perk that is priced into premium cabin tickets and if I had known the flight time would change, that could have influenced the decision.

Given airlines continued to sell premium cabin tickets with the lounges closed during COVID, I'm sure they have some out on this, but given the lounge is operational, is there any recourse? Think I know the answer but thought worth confirming...
Old May 30, 22, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
No recourse. Not everywhere has a lounge, it is usually advertised as 'where available' you can ask at check in if there is anything they offer since the lounge is closed.

If you are lucky they might offer food and beverage voucher.
SxMan, KeaneJohn and imkevinmc like this.
Old May 30, 22, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
No recourse. Not everywhere has a lounge, it is usually advertised as 'where available' you can ask at check in if there is anything they offer since the lounge is closed.

If you are lucky they might offer food and beverage voucher.
I asked at check in if the lounges are open because en route to the airport I googled to see what time it opens and it said 7.30am. At check in they advised the lounge was open so didn't think to ask for a voucher! Maybe she was talking from a more general perspective (i.e. post covid) but still disappointing
Old May 30, 22, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by 12d121 View Post
I asked at check in if the lounges are open because en route to the airport I googled to see what time it opens and it said 7.30am. At check in they advised the lounge was open so didn't think to ask for a voucher! Maybe she was talking from a more general perspective (i.e. post covid) but still disappointing
there may have been a misunderstanding, i think many of the lounges in jnb have only recently reopened. I looked a few weeks ago and it looked like ba international was the only open lounge, but when I looked last week it seems everything is open. I am on jnb to cpt tomorrow afternoon
Old May 30, 22, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are plenty of flights from outstations that leave before lounges open or after they close. Thats rather common; and of course plenty of flights leaving from airports where either there is no lounge or ba just chooses not to pay for one.
Old May 30, 22, 7:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta PM
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
There are plenty of flights from outstations that leave before lounges open or after they close. Thats rather common; and of course plenty of flights leaving from airports where either there is no lounge or ba just chooses not to pay for one.
Including the outstations in the vast majority of AAs network.
Old May 31, 22, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
You could have asked them to open it... "if you don't ask you don't get"!
12d121 likes this.
Old May 31, 22, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire View Post
You could have asked them to open it... "if you don't ask you don't get"!
Very good - if only there had been someone to ask!
St Elmos Fire likes this.
Old May 31, 22, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
With a flight leaving at 7:30 am when you are flying in business, what features of a lounge are you looking for?
Old May 31, 22, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
With a flight leaving at 7:30 am when you are flying in business, what features of a lounge are you looking for?
When I booked the flight I was told the departure time was 9am (the flight was booked as part of multiple flights and transfers so I didn't actually book it myself). It seems the departure time moved for all flights in May to 7.30am.

So I wasn't expecting any lounge features for a 7.30am departure as thought it was departing at 9am. The flight time then moved and therefore couldn't access the lounge. For the original departure time, I thought could maybe get breakfast in the lounge as wasn't sure what would be on offer in the hotel.

People who frequently fly probably have a dim view of most the lounges BA offer (perhaps with the exception of CCR), but if you're an infrequent flyer, lounge access is quite exciting (for me anyway - maybe I'm just sad)

Last edited by 12d121; May 31, 22 at 9:10 am
Old May 31, 22, 9:33 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
It's a pity that ou missed out on the lounge as the SLOW lounges in general are very good and the international one at JNB is one of the best.. I just wish they would serve booze before 10:00am.

Search this Thread