Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Prepaid Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Tried contactless today in Sainsbury and it failed. Chip & Pin again.

Have got, in my transactions:

Not Specified
Cash Adv Inter Fee -£0.50

No idea what this is for as used it in Sainsbury.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Anyone had the 1500 avios bonus turn up?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:44 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I received my card today. I'm just surprised to see that the expiry date is 12/22. Seems odd to issue a new card with just 4 months on it! Anyone else have this?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Anyone had the 1500 avios bonus turn up?
Nope, still waiting despite spending the required £500. I think it might be credited (plus, hopefully, the extra 1500 Avios by applying through the Head for Points link) after the 90-day period has lapsed since gaining the card - well I hope that is the case!! Fingers crossed
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I have been using my card for transactions that maybe could incur a fee, but have been carefully topping up and then spending 100% of the top up within a few minutes. Hopefully this will avoid the random fee debits discussed above, but I am wondering whether I should go further and de-register my debit card after each transaction. Has anyone had anything taken to cover fees direct from their registered debit card rather than from any balance ?

Also, in case anyone else wants to be too smart (as I tried to be) if you link the BA card to a Barclaycard through Curve, this will not incur Curve fees, but will incur a Barclaycard cash advance fee (min £2.99). I have now reversed the transactions through Curve Back in Time, but may have to haggle about the cash advance fees direct with Barclaycard, as they have not been reversed with the 'cash' transactions that have been.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by higham44
Nope, still waiting despite spending the required £500. I think it might be credited (plus, hopefully, the extra 1500 Avios by applying through the Head for Points link) after the 90-day period has lapsed since gaining the card - well I hope that is the case!! Fingers crossed
It’s after the 90 days is up. My bonus was credited three months and three days after the card was activated.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Just a random data point - My card hasn't been leaking money like others, but then i'm only using it to purchase goods and services. Bought some train tickets, went to the pub, filled up the car. Will wait for the bonus points and cancel, the app isn't exactly reliable or responsive and there's no real advantages to having this card over something like a Chase account of some description or even Curve.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by chrism20
It’s after the 90 days is up. My bonus was credited three months and three days after the card was activated.
Ok, thanks. Mine was 22/7/22, so will keep an eye out for bonus at end of October.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:41 pm

Watch out for your money being held for an indeterminate time

My refund of £1,800 from a merchant took 11 days after receipt by BA Prepaid MC to be cleared by them and made.availabe to me. No explanation no compensation. Apparently, any refunded amount over £800 has to be sent to the "hold release team" for "verification". That team acts with complete arbitrariness. Steer well clear of this card If you value your hard earned £ and want to reduce stress in your life. This card really is a case of you get what you pay for. I agree with others on this thread that it is essentially a scam.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:15 am
gms

Originally Posted by Tim Little
My refund of £1,800 from a merchant took 11 days after receipt by BA Prepaid MC to be cleared by them and made.availabe to me. No explanation no compensation. Apparently, any refunded amount over £800 has to be sent to the "hold release team" for "verification". That team acts with complete arbitrariness. Steer well clear of this card If you value your hard earned £ and want to reduce stress in your life. This card really is a case of you get what you pay for. I agree with others on this thread that it is essentially a scam.
I've just had a similar issue, albeit a much smaller amount. £105 refund issued on 3 September. Contacted them last week to ask why the refund wasn't reflected in my balance and they said it would take 7 days for funds to clear. Still not reflected in my card balance today, so contacted them and they said it should have been automatically released by now, but would request that the balance would be manually released. That might take 72 hours.

So as soon as I get my bonus Avios I'm closing this card. Not going to use a card when I will be concerned that I have to check and tally every transaction!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
anyone know a CS contact for this card online/by email? I've been on hold 30+ minutes on the phone and about to give up

just trying to cancel the card, mainly due to issues mentioned on this forum
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:23 am
gms

You can use the Chat function in the App. They do respond quite quickly (within a couple of minutes in my experience). From the main App menu select "Chat with us".

I've just been chatting with them again. 9 days ago they promised to correct the issue I had with a refund not showing in the balance. They told me this would be updated with 72 hours. But still no joy. So starting that process again. I've got zero confidence in this card and the company running it. It really doesn't reflect well on the BA brand (or the team at Head for Points who ran a promotion for this cr@p).
bisonrav and groenroos like this.

Last edited by gms; Sep 22, 2022 at 4:33 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I opened the card 3 months ago, and am already being charged the £2.99 monthly interest charge.

Difficult to see on the app how to contact them to stop these payments.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by gms
You can use the Chat function in the App. They do respond quite quickly (within a couple of minutes in my experience). From the main App menu select "Chat with us".

I've just been chatting with them again. 9 days ago they promised to correct the issue I had with a refund not showing in the balance. They told me this would be updated with 72 hours. But still no joy. So starting that process again. I've got zero confidence in this card and the company running it. It really doesn't reflect well on the BA brand (or the team at Head for Points who ran a promotion for this cr@p).
I've accessed the "Chat with us" functionality through the FAQ section. However, it doesnt seem to accept any text entry when I key in letters from my Android phone. Very frustrating!

I may just ask my bank to reverse the charge and let BA Mastercard sort it out

Last edited by nollag; Sep 22, 2022 at 10:24 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:02 am

For those that are struggling, the complaints email address is: [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.