Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

Old Jun 1, 22, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
coach passengers in lounges should be eliminated..
Seems a tad extreme - but would leave the cabin with some extra empty seats to help make the onboard experience more pleasant
sigma421, ExpatExp, Mekko and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Seems a tad extreme - but would leave the cabin with some extra empty seats to help make the onboard experience more pleasant
😂
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I mean if theyre letting National Express and Megabus passengers into the lounge, no wonder its so busy.
IntVic, skipness1E, bibbju and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by sigma421 View Post
Given that the entire point of frequent flyer schemes is elevating your experience above that of your ticketed cabin, this isnt going to happen. BA even operates an entire lounge at LHR (Galleries F) that doesnt align with a cabin class, its simply for frequent flyers.
I agree, but I also suggest something different.

Long Haul lounge vs Short Haul lounges. They are two massively different products, and far more SH passengers there which fill the lounge. I guarantee the lounges are full of many more SH passengers than QR and AA frequent flyers. I know it's nice to be able to get a full meal and fill yourself with champers on a hop to Glasgow, but do other european carriers do this?

I'm not sure if I like this idea, however, it was clear to me that it existed when I shifted from flying in lovely T3 VS lounge to a T5 LH North flight. I was like "what is this hell?"
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
coach passengers in lounges should be eliminated
This used to be a speciality of some Argentinian airlines in the 70s....
docsxx likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:13 am

QR moving back to Terminal 4 on the 14th June.
Old Jun 1, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
I understood that AA were refurbing their own lounge in T3 and possibly upgrading it from Admirals to Flagship.
I thought that AA has maintained a Flagship Lounge at T3 for quite some time, and that it was renovated within the last ten years, if I remember correctly? I preferred it ages ago when it had wood panelling. Are they doing more work now?
Old Jun 1, 22, 11:48 am

Programs: Mucci! And BA Bronze – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 6, Bronze 2
Originally Posted by DelTroon View Post
QR moving back to Terminal 4 on the 14th June.
I heard from a member of the BA staff when I checked in yesterday that QR was moving next week, so that seems right.

We were at T5 yesterday at 05:20 and fast track was absolutely rammed. Must have taken at least 15 mins to get through.

What will BA do in a few weeks when the school hols travel starts?
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:02 pm

15 mins in these current times seems positively luxurious
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
15 mins in these current times seems positively luxurious
think I was waiting close to 15 minutes after putting my tray onto the conveyor for a procession of eejits to diligently go through the metal detector and then ostentatiously remove belts with massive buckles etc. The queue was more than 10 people at one stage!

serves me right for arriving at the north side of T5 and thinking there wasnt a very obvious queue so Id go for Fast Track rather than the First Wing, only to emerge the other side to find no fast track scanners operating and very long queues

(~20-25 mins overall was annoying, but I could have been experiencing DUB, MAN or AMS meltdowns recently so tried to be philosophical)
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle View Post

serves me right for arriving at the north side of T5 and thinking there wasnt a very obvious queue so Id go for Fast Track rather than the First Wing, only to emerge the other side to find no fast track scanners operating and very long queues

(~20-25 mins overall was annoying, but I could have been experiencing DUB, MAN or AMS meltdowns recently so tried to be philosophical)
I fell for that one the weekend before last.

It didnt help that security seemed to be sending ALL liquids for secondary, and that the rotation of staff seemed to leave a gap where the secondary searcher should be. Oh, and the lady in front of me who had multiple large aerosols scattered through her shrink wrapped hand luggage!

Is it just me or do the multi-loader belts at T5 just slow things down as everyone needs multiple trays and they all end up mixed up at the other end???
Old Jun 1, 22, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Smid View Post
I agree, but I also suggest something different.

Long Haul lounge vs Short Haul lounges. They are two massively different products, and far more SH passengers there which fill the lounge. I guarantee the lounges are full of many more SH passengers than QR and AA frequent flyers. I know it's nice to be able to get a full meal and fill yourself with champers on a hop to Glasgow, but do other european carriers do this?

I'm not sure if I like this idea, however, it was clear to me that it existed when I shifted from flying in lovely T3 VS lounge to a T5 LH North flight. I was like "what is this hell?"
Galleries North is absolutely heaving at the moment and, despite its attractive position overlooking the runway, rather resembles a crowded downmarket cafe/ bar. BA has been over generous in allowing former frequent flyers to retain their BAEC status while barely flying and certainly without coming near the already significantly reduced targets. It has also reduced tier point targets for those now flying and allowed business lounge access to sundry BA package holiday bookers even when spending a modest amount. ( The bigger spenders can access Galleries First.) I have come across plenty of those! On top of that are the double points being earned on qualifying BA holidays. All this leads to a massive number of people having silver and using the lounges. Also BA’s many domestic flights are feeder flights for its LHR hub so you are always going to have a lot of silver card holders using the lounge when in transit to and from the regions. Frankly it’s like an uncivilised scrum, more like a nasty pub/ cafe chain than a premium lounge - but that’s largely due to the crowds, a shortage of staff and the complete failure to keep the tables clean. Also it has to be said that there is an unfortunate preponderance of groups of people resembling lager/beer swiilling louts, dressed more like football fans than business people. All in all it’s one to avoid and an appalling advertisement for BA. No wonder the correspondent preferred VS. EK would be my choice- a world apart from this zoo!
Old Jun 2, 22, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
Chatting to one of the BA team yesterday in the CCR, it became clear that some (but by no means all) of the lounge overcrowding is due to QR and AA flights using T5. They are, I gather, very status heavy with significant sized premium cabins as well...
Status heavy, I don't know. But the significant sized premium cabins on AA are not bigger than BA's. Their 777-200 have 37 business class seats, -300 8 first and 52 business, 787-8 20 business and 787-9 30 business. BA's 777-200 does between 32 to 49 business class seats and 8-14 firs class, the -300 8-14 first and 56-76 business, the 787-8 35 business, -9 8 first + 42 business and -10 8 + 48. So overall I'd think based on cabin size the differences are small and over all BA is more premium heavy (at least for lounge access based on cabins).

QR's 777 have 24-42 business seat and 787-8/9 22-30. So again, smaller.

I don't think the size of the premium cabins is an issue.
Old Jun 2, 22, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF
Looks like IB has "fired BA" as their handling agent at LHR.

I wonder if they will seriously look at moving to T3

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...ht8zhqiKccbnWE
Old Jun 3, 22, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by jrfsp320 View Post
Looks like IB has "fired BA" as their handling agent at LHR.

I wonder if they will seriously look at moving to T3

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...ht8zhqiKccbnWE
Been coming for years, they were with Menzies in T3 and back then, BA was the only handling option in any move to T5. Now both Menzies (AA) and Cobalt (QR) handle in T5. BA have always been uncompetitive handling others in recent years, they lost American to Menzies very quickly.

Search this Thread