Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

T5 overcrowding: when will QR and AA leave?

Old May 29, 22, 6:32 am

…just wait until schools stop… #zoo #avoid
Old May 29, 22, 6:32 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by SW7London View Post
Not sure about this - at the J QR checkin counter a few weeks ago (May 1) I could hear staff talking to F passengers at the next counter about how they could access the CCR.

Prehaps they were already GGL holders or QR is giving CCR access to VVIPs?

(they did look Qatari so may well be "connected"!)
I was ticketed by BA in QR F and was denied access to CCR (sent to GF) so i’d imagine you’re probably right!
Old May 29, 22, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
…just wait until schools stop… #zoo #avoid
Even pre-pandemic we stopped visits back to the UK anytime once school breaks for summer holidays. It's been a nightmare regardless of the pandemic for the first week or so after school release
Old May 29, 22, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, BonVoy Gold
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Don’t ORD flights normally arrive/depart T3?
It's my first time flying ORD to LHR so I am not sure. My original flight on BA was changed, and that was T5. I was expecting to land in T5, but I am unsure?
Old May 30, 22, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Slightly OT but unfortunately you could see quite an increase of AA OWE’s in GF and using Zone J due to the new AAdvantage earning scheme where there are now huge threads about how easy it is to game the system. AA is now literally giving away status so I hope BA keeps its rules in place for the CCR so y’all have a chance of finding somewhere to sit. Chairs will be hard to find in GF soon enough…
Old May 30, 22, 4:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, AC 75K. Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by matinicus rock View Post
Chairs will be hard to find in GF soon enough…
Can only imagine what this does to the bathroom line. GF is the only lounge where you pretty consistently have to wait for a bathroom

And Exec Plats don't get CCR access on J tickets. I got in today on a J ticket, but I was on a (BA) F ticket and got downgraded due to a cancellation. They made a note at check in to let me in.
matinicus rock likes this.
Old May 30, 22, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Slightly OT but unfortunately you could see quite an increase of AA OWE’s in GF and using Zone J due to the new AAdvantage earning scheme where there are now huge threads about how easy it is to game the system. AA is now literally giving away status so I hope BA keeps its rules in place for the CCR so y’all have a chance of finding somewhere to sit. Chairs will be hard to find in GF soon enough…
soon enough? Every time I walk through that lounge on the way to the CCR I thank the travel gods for my GGL status. It is an absolute zoo.
matinicus rock likes this.
Old May 30, 22, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
Thanks. Didn’t realise it was DFW and MIA as well - so almost all of their flagship first destinations from London. That explains the CCR situation in the middle of the day.

I understood that AA were refurbing their own lounge in T3 and possibly upgrading it from
Admirals to Flagship. Maybe when that project is complete these flights will move back?
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
Interesting. I didn’t know that. It begs the question why AA are now building a Flagship
Lounge at T3, if that is indeed the plan…..

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...e-at-heathrow/
Pre-covid they had an AC and the last Flagship First lounge in the AA system at T3. The plan was to convert the Flagship First (access only to AA F or OWE) to the new standard Flagship lounge (access to F/J and OWS and above). Not sure if the AC will be brought back..
Old May 30, 22, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA is now literally giving away status so I hope BA keeps its rules in place for the CCR so y’all have a chance of finding somewhere to sit. Chairs will be hard to find in GF soon enough…
BA doesn't sell status, nor charge anything for earning points, so it also literally gives it away. It just has different criteria for giving it away
Old May 31, 22, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not sure about QR and AA but, I know there's too many 12 y/o's making gold from premium leisure flying!
Old May 31, 22, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz View Post
I am flying ORD-LHR on 23 June (AA) and was surprised to see my flight info says arrive is in T3. Of course this is subject to change, but that's what it says currently.
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Don’t ORD flights normally arrive/depart T3?
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz View Post
It's my first time flying ORD to LHR so I am not sure. My original flight on BA was changed, and that was T5. I was expecting to land in T5, but I am unsure?
AA operated flights to / from ORD will be T3, yes. BA operated flights to / from ORD will be T5.
Old May 31, 22, 7:12 pm

coach passengers in lounges should be eliminated. as well as J passengers in F lounges. the ground experience should align with the cabin experience.
Old May 31, 22, 7:30 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL FO, NH *G
What is the endgame for AA/BA? We know that AA wants to move its entire operation to T5, but without T5D, there isn't enough space in T5 for even just the BA flights and BA uses T3 as an overflow. Does AA move everything to T5 and some of BA's non-North America flights move to T3?

The major benefit of a co-located operation is IROPS rebooking -- if the BA flight to Boston gets cancelled, they can hand you a boarding pass for the AA flight and you don't have to figure out how to get from T5 to T3. There's also the potential for some staff and facility sharing (although I believe that AA is still handled by Menzies at LHR, as well as some permanent AA employees).
Old May 31, 22, 7:38 pm

extend the T5 tram beyond T5C to T3
dcmike, trolleymusic and VFR like this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
coach passengers in lounges should be eliminated. as well as J passengers in F lounges. the ground experience should align with the cabin experience.
Given that the entire point of frequent flyer schemes is elevating your experience above that of your ticketed cabin, this isn’t going to happen. BA even operates an entire lounge at LHR (Galleries F) that doesn’t align with a cabin class, it’s simply for frequent flyers.
Dorowilson likes this.

Search this Thread