Cannot update passport details in BA API

Old May 25, 22, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Cannot update passport details in BA API

Iíve recently got a new passport and Iím trying to update my API in my BA profile. I have been getting the same error for the last three months -

ďYou are already logged in with a different account. You will need to log out and log in again to access a different schemeĒ.

I donít have multiple accounts or schemes (whatever that is).

Can anyone help please?
Old May 25, 22, 10:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to the BA forum on Flyertalk.

I've seen a number of reports of this, and I suspect it is caused by some cookies interfering with the process. Among the solutions are
- use the App rather than your PC / tablet, or vice versa
- use a different browser
- Try incognito / InPrivate or other special access mode of your browser

If it's for a particular booking, you best log out of BAEC, then use name and PNR to change the API data in the Manage My Booking area of the booking in question.

Don't worry too much, it happens fairly frequently so you can do all of check-in at the airport if necessary, just add a little extra time for this.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks

I deleted the cookies and I tried Firefox. Same problem. As suggested, Iíve updated the API in the flight booking. At least that worked.

Itís a curious problem, only affecting passport details. I can change other stuff like contact details.

It also only affects this specific account. Successfully changed passport details on another BA account.

I guess this is low down in BAís huge list of IT problems. 🥱
Old May 25, 22, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks CWS

I have been struggling with this for months.

Updating your passport information In Incognito/InPrivate gives the same error.

Updating your passport information within a booking and asking to update your profile also gives the same error.

Updating your passport information on the mobile site also gives the same error.

Updating your passport information In Incognito/InPrivate on the mobile site with just essential cookies also gives the same error.

I don't think it is possible to update this information on the app.

I also wrote to BA and asked them to update the information and they did not bother to respond.

How can I update my passport information in my profile ?

BA really is the pits.
Old May 25, 22, 12:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I will add my welcome as well to you tasso.asteriades

Just to add that if and when you manage to update it on your profile, be aware this will not auto update the API held in existing bookings you have. You will have to go through each existing booking and update them individually with the new passport details I am afraid.
Old May 25, 22, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I will add my welcome as well to you tasso.asteriades

Just to add that if and when you manage to update it on your profile, be aware this will not auto update the API held in existing bookings you have. You will have to go through each existing booking and update them individually with the new passport details I am afraid.
I also seem to have this problem. I have managed to update on API, not sure if it has stuck.

Trying to check in online for a flight tomorrow, I can check in but can't print boarding pass as it tells me my passport isn't valid. It's not valid because it is not updating with my new passport details! I've tried updating on ba.com and on the app, it appears to accept the update but still won't let be print a boarding pass as the passport isn't valid. I am going round in circles!
Old May 25, 22, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

As per earlier entries, log into the booking itself and you should be able to amend our passport details there. I’m guessing you can then check in since I would assume the check in process looks at the booking details.

The details stored in your profile are copied down when you link a booking, but if you modify in the booking they won’t copy back into your profile.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by tasso.asteriades View Post
As per earlier entries, log into the booking itself and you should be able to amend our passport details there. I’m guessing you can then check in since I would assume the check in process looks at the booking details.

The details stored in your profile are copied down when you link a booking, but if you modify in the booking they won’t copy back into your profile.
Tried this. I can see the MMB for this flight he now save the correct passport details. it still won’t let me get my boarding pass. Tells me passport isn’t valid. I’ve checked in and completed VeriFLY, it is just the boarding pass that won’t download.
Old May 25, 22, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to hear that - useful to know for when we fly 😊.

At least you’re checked in!
Old May 25, 22, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; IHG Platinum Ambassador
Yup, same problem here for over 6M. Tried three browsers, inPrivate, different machines etc, all to no avail. In the end, asked an agent on the phone when I was changing a CV booking and she updated it no problem.
Old May 26, 22, 12:11 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I had a similar issue in December with OLCI asking for passport data and then not allowing me to OLCI. BA leg was JFK to LHR and back. Talked to the Gold Line and was told that the system couldn't handle a US Passport without a US accommodation address (not required for US citizens (per a now retired friend in CBP upper management they aren't even allowed to ask that for US citizens)). The agent played around with something on their end and I was able to OLCI when I logged out and logged back into the app. No issues on the return leg. Agent at JFK said this has been an ongoing issue for them as well, it wasn't related to Verifly, just the passport.
Old May 26, 22, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68 View Post
Tried this. I can see the MMB for this flight he now save the correct passport details. it still wonít let me get my boarding pass. Tells me passport isnít valid. Iíve checked in and completed VeriFLY, it is just the boarding pass that wonít download.
Originally Posted by tasso.asteriades View Post
Sorry to hear that - useful to know for when we fly 😊.

At least youíre checked in!
checked in at the desk with no problem. The check in assistant said she could see it was a passport issue, after she had scanned my passport I was able to download my boarding pass.
Old May 30, 22, 6:15 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I have the same problem, new passport but unable to update my details online in my account. So now have to go to a check-in desk every time - yet the whole benefit of OLCI is to AVOID having to go to a check-in desk!

What a shocking apology for an airline BA has become.

Edited to add, just spent 30 minutes on hold to BA to get it changed by an agent and listened to multiple recorded messages extolling the virtues of OLCI, how it is quick and easy and enables you to get your Boarding Pass on your phone . Even the agent told me I could have changed my PP details online and there was no need to be phoning BA to do it . I told her it couldn't be done and also told her about Flyertalk whereby this is an issue that others are also having.

Last edited by BOH; May 30, 22 at 6:47 am Reason: Update after calling BA

Search this Thread