Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wear a sports jacket

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by N1120A

My basic uniform is now Lululemon or Mack Weldon travel pants
+1 on the Lululemon travel pants.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
I like to wear a sports jacket or similar when travelling. I like to single myself out from the ubiquitous T-shirt and jeans brigade - neither of which I’ve ever owned.
xarantine likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the comments. Here I am wearing my sports jacket:

I am in the T5 lounge reserved for those who wear ties rather than Sweaty Betty apparel!
HIDDY, vanmunchen, PETER01 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BOH
Yes, a sports jacket is much less casual than suit. Considerably less.
What am I missing? Honestly don't understand. A sports jacket is a lot more casual (not less casual) than a suit.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:28 am

This is 100% the kind of thread I spend so long lurking on here for
Kgmm77 and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
What am I missing? Honestly don't understand. A sports jacket is a lot more casual (not less casual) than a suit.
Quite so. There seemed to be some confusion upthread as to whether something was - in relative terms - less casual or more casual. I think we got there in the end. But your synopsis is quite right. A sports jacket is a lot more casual / less formal than a suit jacket
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
I just wear anything that covers my belly...

When I was younger in the 90's I used to travel in a sports jacket.. and I have a nice Daks one with the elbow pads.

It's in the wardrobe with several others awaiting the time when I loose 3 stone...

Now I cover the belly with whatever looks half decent and forgiving and blag the cabin crew for a second desert plus the cheese... please...

Chris
endoman and yellow_peril like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Can I please suggest that everyone contributing here head over to Simon Crompton’s excellent Permanent Style blog for some clothing guidance?
ExpatExp and xarantine like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: Some
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but seems as good place as any.

I once wore a blue suit in the CCR probably about 5 years ago, I was in my 20s and working in investment banking at the time (I had come straight from the office back in the pre-Zoom days, when people still would wear a suit in the office). I arrived at the lounge and dropped my bags, but needed the loo so was obviously walking with purpose. As I went past a lady sat in one of the armchairs put her hand up and shouted “excuse me!”. I turned around and looked confused, we stared at each other for a second then we both smiled and understood - she had assumed I was part of the CCR team . I have not worn a jacket in the CCR since…
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Quite so. There seemed to be some confusion upthread as to whether something was - in relative terms - less casual or more casual. I think we got there in the end. But your synopsis is quite right. A sports jacket is a lot more casual / less formal than a suit jacket
Thank you! I thought I was going mad...
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:10 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I spent the day out in the estancia yesterday....they're not called ranches here my dear. I can't say I was wearing my tweed jacket but I always carry my shooting stick as I do like to take a seat while smoking my pipe. That's totally ignoring me as usual.

Lovely dogs, more pictures please
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wear a sport coat for just this reason: I like having all the pockets. If I'm on a short flight and the FA offers to hang it for me I'll decline so I can have my pockets. Plus if you're a larger gentleman like me it helps conceal some of your girth.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you like the pockets why not just go for a fishing jacket / utility gilet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.