Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help please stuck in JNB International for 7 Hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please stuck in JNB International for 7 Hours

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You poor thing 😛😁

Try BBC Sport for the (radio) commentary, that’s usually reliable. Can’t help for streaming, is it on free to air in the UK?
I'm not sure BBC radio streams work outside of the UK. The text commentary on the BBC would still work and not require too much bandwidth.
johnaalex and jokerjokerj like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
The Intercontinental hotel directly across the street may still offer a day room but it will not be cheap. Their restaurant was quite good the last time I was there but it was preCovid. You could keep your luggage secure in your hotel room while you shower and relax. They have an enclosed rooftop pool which gives some runway views and a day spa.
Do lock up any bags you intend to check and especially if you decide to store them anywhere that are not in your immediate possession.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I was looking to do this for a friend but the intercontinental was very expensive, as crew we stayed at the Protea hotel at the airport for a while and that would be a good place to while away a few hours.
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Left luggage is open and operating normally. Cash only however on my visit 2 weeks ago. NB 5 of the 6 elevators were also not working at that point…

I’m not a huge fan of Sandton - Basingstoke can be more exciting - Rosebank is a bit more interesting. If you were feeling adventurous rent a car and visit Sterkfontein Caves but could be quite tight for time.

Gautrain to Park and then an Uber to Maboneng might be pushing it. 😉
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
In my experience Comair are very happy to through check your baggage even though you are on a separate booking, just ask them to at DUR and provide them details of your onward flight booking to LHR
johnaalex and N1120A like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by johnaalex
On Saturday I am booked on the BA56 JNB to LHR scheduled to depart at 19:20. I did have an internal flight from DUR, the BA6216 which would have got me to JNB at 14:55 but that has been cancelled. I am now on the BA6222 which gets me to JNB at 12:40. As these flights are on separate bookings I know they won't check my bags through from DUR to LHR. I am also pretty sure that I won't be able to check for the international flight until round about 16:00 which is when the lounge used open. Is there a left luggage service at JNB? If so, I could use that and go on the Gautrain to Sandton or somewhere for a nice lunch. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also, while on the BA56 I will be desperate to get updates on the Champions League final (I'm a life long Liverpool fan). Hopefully the 789 I will be on will have Wi-Fi and as I am in First it will be free, Any tips on good sites to access would also be welcome. I think video streaming will be a bit of a push but radio commentary would be better than text updates.

TIA
Or voucher your DUR-JNB ticket, book a new ticket with someone else? Better than 7 hours in JNB.
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Left luggage is open and operating normally. Cash only however on my visit 2 weeks ago.
100% correct.

Others mentioned things to do, so I'll skip that.

The Intercontinental is trés expensive for the few hours you have.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Not sure if it was due to my cheery personality or the cancellation of my original flight but the lovely lady at check in kindly checked my bags through to LHR.

Any tips on the pay on entry lounges at JNB would be welcome.

TIA
Old May 28, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Not sure if it was due to my cheery personality or the cancellation of my original flight but the lovely lady at check in kindly checked my bags through to LHR.

Any tips on the pay on entry lounges at JNB would be welcome.

TIA
That’s useful as when the no through check rule came in Comair were apologetically unwilling.

Shongololo lounge is pay for access and pretty decent too.
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:22 am

Sometimes they through-check

I would ask them if they can through-check. I was on separate tickets DXB-LHR and then LHR-BOS. The check-in agent was super helpful and checked my bags through all they way. They don’t have to do it but they sometimes do.
Old May 28, 2022, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
It took a manager here in JNB to authorise it, but I've talked my way in to the SLOW Lounge (international) providing I leave at 16:00. Happy Days!
steveholt likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Such a charmer. 😂
johnaalex likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

A disappointing result, but on the plus side the WiFi was very stable and I heard the match commentary fro BBC 5 Live.
Live.

C'mon You Reds YNWA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.