Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you upgrade one person on the booking?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Can you upgrade one person on the booking?

As per the title, is it possible to upgrade one person on a booking on just one leg? When I book, I'd like to phone up (within 24hrs) and pay the fare difference to upgrade one person from WT to WT+.

I need all 3 people on the same booking so that the other 2 get the baggage benefits from my status.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No it isn't possible. Everyone on the same booking must be in the same cabin. The only way you could do this is split the booking and then upgrade the one you want - but it sounds like this won't work for you.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unfortunately you would have to split the booking to do this, so the WTP person was on their own. POUGs then typically won't work due to the splitting process. So probably best to think about an AUP at the airport after you have got the other seats sorted. When you do the AUP ask them to show the seat screen and the AUP is set to that seat.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Just adding my experience of this as I wondered this also. Had a BA holidays booking, I wanted to upgrade but my companion wasn’t bothered. They split the booking and processed the upgrade for me without issue. Companion got a new PNR locator for their own flight. Hotel was still linked to mine.
BA or bust likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
Just adding my experience of this as I wondered this also. Had a BA holidays booking, I wanted to upgrade but my companion wasn’t bothered. They split the booking and processed the upgrade for me without issue. Companion got a new PNR locator for their own flight. Hotel was still linked to mine.
Absolutely, splitting an itinerary to do that is very straightforward and usual (be it to upgrade one, to change the itinerary of one, etc). The reason KARFA and cws say that this won't work here is only because the op precisely does not want to split the booking as they want the other passengers to benefit from the extra luggage allowance related to their own status. If the booking is split, that will be lost. It's a bit of a "eat your cake and have it" situation.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: United Liftetime Gold/ BA Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Absolutely, splitting an itinerary to do that is very straightforward and usual (be it to upgrade one, to change the itinerary of one, etc). The reason KARFA and cws say that this won't work here is only because the op precisely does not want to split the booking as they want the other passengers to benefit from the extra luggage allowance related to their own status. If the booking is split, that will be lost. It's a bit of a "eat your cake and have it" situation.
Travelling on Silver with 3 other Blue family members. If I book in Economy, get seats for all for free, and then upgrade myself splitting record, will they retain their seat assignments?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mblajolla
Travelling on Silver with 3 other Blue family members. If I book in Economy, get seats for all for free, and then upgrade myself splitting record, will they retain their seat assignments?
The unfortunate answer to this is 'maybe'. If nothing changes, no aircraft swaps etc then there is a chance the assignments might hold. The longer between you splitting the booking and the flight the bigger the risk is
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mblajolla
Formally you are at risk of them losing their seat assignments, but they may well stick, particularly if you don't experience any equipment changes, and I would guess even more so if you upgraded with the final 72 hours, the point at which seat selection moves over to the FLY modules. Obviously if they did lose their seat assignments you don't have much scope to challenge that, you would at this point be on a separate booking.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
I want to add my recent experience but I have not 100% certainty that it would have worked as I have not gone ahead and done it:

on my last Online Upgrade offer, I had the option to select who I wanted to upgrade out of a 4 people in the same booking and I could have selected to accept the adult offer and not the kids option (intention was to then let my 15yo fly in CE in my upgraded seat whilst me and the younger kids remained in ET) . I considered this as I was evaluating to confirm my status before expiration but as I needed even more TP, I decided to go for a status milestone early in my new TP year.

Is the agreed consensus that I would not have been able to complete my partial upgrade if I had gone ahead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.