Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping bag at T3 prior to DUB B2B

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Dropping bag at T3 prior to DUB B2B

I’ve done this without issue pre Covid at T5 but in July and August, I’m taking the 0655 to DUB and coming straight back.

On both occasions I’m on an ex EU ticket to the US. Firstly to MCO with BA and secondly To MIA with AA.

I’ve already figured I have time to drop bags by getting to T3 for 5am and then trotting over the T5. My only concern is the AA flight. Are they likely to object ?

And if they do, would my get out of jail card be left luggage at T3
Old May 22, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I’ve done this without issue pre Covid at T5 but in July and August, I’m taking the 0655 to DUB and coming straight back.

On both occasions I’m on an ex EU ticket to the US. Firstly to MCO with BA and secondly To MIA with AA.

I’ve already figured I have time to drop bags by getting to T3 for 5am and then trotting over the T5. My only concern is the AA flight. Are they likely to object ?

Hi,

Actually, I think the AA MIA flights are using T5 at the moment.

https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i...p?locale=en_GB

Regards

TBS
Old May 22, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Actually, I think the AA MIA flights are using T5 at the moment.

https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i...p?locale=en_GB

Regards

TBS
I really didn’t know that. So will save me legging it back to T5 after bag drop on that trip but essentially the same question as I’m guessing I will have to use the AA check in desk or can so use BA in the First wing
Old May 22, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
I really didn’t know that. So will save me legging it back to T5 after bag drop on that trip but essentially the same question as I’m guessing I will have to use the AA check in desk or can so use BA in the First wing
Hi,

AA has its own desks in the First Wing but unlike BA not sure if you could bag drop before the B2B ( I personally cannot see why not if it is all day check in)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 22, 2022 at 2:50 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 2:45 pm

Yes, they’ll check you in and accept bags for a flight later that day, even if you’re shuffling off somewhere first. A quick explanation will do the trick, should anyone question it (unlikely, but possible if the agent is awake).
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Yes, they’ll check you in and accept bags for a flight later that day, even if you’re shuffling off somewhere first. A quick explanation will do the trick, should anyone question it (unlikely, but possible if the agent is awake).
​​​​​​​I would tend to agree, though I wonder if the fact that OP appears to be heading off to Dublin in order to commence an ex-Dublin trip via LHR might complicate matters, in the sense that it would essentially amount to checking bags from the intermediate point (i.e. LHR) prior to having flown the first leg of the trip - as opposed to simply checking in/dropping bags early for the AA flight and then going on (and returning from) an unrelated trip to Dublin before departure.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
​​​​​​​... though I wonder if the fact that OP appears to be heading off to Dublin in order to commence an ex-Dublin trip via LHR might complicate matters, in the sense that it would essentially amount to checking bags from the intermediate point (i.e. LHR) prior to having flown the first leg of the trip - as opposed to simply checking in/dropping bags early for the AA flight and then going on (and returning from) an unrelated trip to Dublin before departure.
That's exactly the worry we normally see here when the question is about flying on an all-BA itinerary, but there haven't been any recent complaints about LHR refusing to take a bag for sector 2 before sector 1 has been flown. If Confus' post also includes AA at T5, then the situation seems to be the same as when the ticket is all on BA.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
DUB flight connections closed

I tried to do an LHR - DUB - LHR B2B last week and failed miserably because the DUB flight connections is closed and there is no alternative to going through customs to arrivals and then back again through departures. Fast Track was 50 minutes from joining the queue to getting my hand baggage back in hand. No chance of making the flight back, so had to change to the later one couple of hours later. I don't know how tight your timings are for the onward connection out of LHR but be careful!
Old May 23, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NRGsaver
I tried to do an LHR - DUB - LHR B2B last week and failed miserably because the DUB flight connections is closed and there is no alternative to going through customs to arrivals and then back again through departures. Fast Track was 50 minutes from joining the queue to getting my hand baggage back in hand. No chance of making the flight back, so had to change to the later one couple of hours later. I don't know how tight your timings are for the onward connection out of LHR but be careful!
I have heard that security is taken longer but you're the first that's reported a missed flight. Can I ask what time of day you went through and were BA accommodating with changing your flight?

Dublin airport are reporting an improvement and lots of new staff coming online....https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2022/...ublin-airport/

Last edited by kingcole974; May 23, 2022 at 7:33 am
Old May 23, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I have heard that security is taken longer but you're the first that's reported a missed flight. Can I ask what time of day you went through and were BA accommodating with changing your flight?
It's been in the news again over the weekend, people reporting queues of up to an hour in security, so I'd take care at the moment.

Also BA's Dublin schedule has been decimated, at times only two flights per day, so you'll want to check what other BA flights there are the day you're travelling.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:52 am

Dublin

Dublin airport are reporting an improvement and lots of new staff coming online....https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2022/...ublin-airport/
I was travelling mid afternoon on Thursday last week (19/4). BA was very accommodating about changing the flight, though it was a bit of a pain having to sit around for an extra three hours, more so because the lounge at DUB closes at 17:00 (not that is it much to write home about, anyway).
Old May 23, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NRGsaver
I was travelling mid afternoon on Thursday last week (19/4). BA was very accommodating about changing the flight, though it was a bit of a pain having to sit around for an extra three hours, more so because the lounge at DUB closes at 17:00 (not that is it much to write home about, anyway).
Thanks for reporting back.

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on the situation. We are much earlier in the morning and it does look like Dublin airport are addressing this issue for the summer.

If I loose my nerve then we will change the positioning flight to the evening before.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:25 am

Thanks for reporting back.

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on the situation. We are much earlier in the morning and it does look like Dublin airport are addressing this issue for the summer.

If I loose my nerve then we will change the positioning flight to the evening before.
I have a colleague who commutes once a week DUB - LHR - DUB, alway on the earliest available flight in the morning, and it's invariably a lengthy queue for Fast Track. He has very little confidence that this will improve in the foreseeable future. I think you are wise to consider taking the positioning flight the evening before. According to the article posted earlier, the DAA sppokesman said that security was taking 10 minutes, sometimes a little longer - that is contrary to experience. If flight connections reopens, that would change things, I guess.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I did fast track at DUB at 9.30 on Sunday 15th having positioned the day before. Took about 45 mins and was a painful setup desperately in need of a time and motion study. Two people helping direct unpacking into crates, but only one person dealing with secondaries. With a third or so going to secondary, this was continuously full preventing other bags from going through, leading to people waiting ages in full of their belongings awaiting to go through the scanner. Ironically my crate with laptop, iPad and compliantly packed liquids got sent for random secondary too.
Possibly the worst fast track security experience I’ve ever had.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Strewth. I wonder how long the regular line is taking.

I experienced this exact situation at LGW a few weeks ago. Wasn’t under any time pressure on this occasion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.