Unticketed BA booking with AA sectors

Old May 22, 22, 1:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Posts: 3,103
Question Unticketed BA booking with AA sectors

What happens if BA fails* to ticket a booking made 5/6 months in advance with some legs on AA, and so AA cancel their flights due to the booking not being ticketed on time?
Can the booking be "reinstated" by BA exactly as it was, in any moment, or there would be problems with the AA flights/sectors?
Since the fault lies completely on BA, what are the customer's rights in this case?

*(payment not taken due to a "dropped" CCV, so no ticked issued)
Lefly is offline  
Old May 22, 22, 1:56 am
  #2  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,891
It's an awkward area, since BA has a record of trying to wriggle out of its responsibilities by saying that until ticketing is complete then the full legal protections won't apply. The CCV problem and missing 125 numbers are well known in this forum and we often remind people to check this via the flight panel on the App or the e-ticket email, however (a) for those not on FT this isn't an obvious thing to check, few other companies seem to have this problem and (b) in the case of AA it's doubly difficult since trying to find ticketing status on SABRE isn't easy. Policy wise I believe BA will try to fix the problem via the oneworld liaison desk and AA are usually helpful (other airlines are not so helpful). BA will also look at other alternative ways which may still be open. But at a certain point BA will admit defeat and just offer a refund. That outcome is particularly insidious since BA in normal circumstances would not offer a refund if unticketed but fixable, so it's a very unbalanced contractural position. If put in that position then obviously the customer should work with BA to come up with a sensible compromise if necessary.

If that fails then the one MCOL case that I'm aware of BA settled without admitting liability and with almost no explanation before they submitted a Defence. There was also a more recent case - which was a thread in FT - involving someone stranded down route where the legal team screwed up the Defence royally and BA then made a reasonable out of court settlement.
mnhusker likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old May 22, 22, 1:57 am
  #3  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,254
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
What happens if BA fails* to ticket a booking made 5/6 months in advance with some legs on AA, and so AA cancel their flights due to the booking not being ticketed on time?
Can the booking be "reinstated" by BA exactly as it was, in any moment, or there would be problems with the AA flights/sectors?
Since the fault lies completely on BA, what are the customer's rights in this case?

*(payment not taken due to a "dropped" CCV, so no ticked issued)
has this happened? How far out are you from traveling? How did you hear aa had cancelled your seats even tho the flight is still running?
KARFA is online now  
Old May 22, 22, 2:49 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
has this happened? How far out are you from traveling? How did you hear aa had cancelled your seats even tho the flight is still running?
Yes, but I don't know when the AA issue happened exactly. I had no communication from anyone, it has been by chance. Travel is in 5 months more or less. I'm not in a hurry, but I want to know what I can rightfully ask. By the way, the booking doesn't show anymore in MMB.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It's an awkward area, since BA has a record of trying to wriggle out of its responsibilities by saying that until ticketing is complete then the full legal protections won't apply. The CCV problem and missing 125 numbers are well known in this forum and we often remind people to check this via the flight panel on the App or the e-ticket email, however (a) for those not on FT this isn't an obvious thing to check, few other companies seem to have this problem and (b) in the case of AA it's doubly difficult since trying to find ticketing status on SABRE isn't easy. Policy wise I believe BA will try to fix the problem via the oneworld liaison desk and AA are usually helpful (other airlines are not so helpful). BA will also look at other alternative ways which may still be open. But at a certain point BA will admit defeat and just offer a refund. That outcome is particularly insidious since BA in normal circumstances would not offer a refund if unticketed but fixable, so it's a very unbalanced contractural position. If put in that position then obviously the customer should work with BA to come up with a sensible compromise if necessary.

If that fails then the one MCOL case that I'm aware of BA settled without admitting liability and with almost no explanation before they submitted a Defence. There was also a more recent case - which was a thread in FT - involving someone stranded down route where the legal team screwed up the Defence royally and BA then made a reasonable out of court settlement.
Out of curiosity, can I decide I do not longer want to travel and ask to drop the booking completely? And in that case, if it was an upgraded booking and GUF/avios where already taken from account, can I demand them back, right?
Lefly is offline  
Old May 22, 22, 3:05 am
  #5  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,891
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
Out of curiosity, can I decide I do not longer want to travel and ask to drop the booking completely? And in that case, if it was an upgraded booking and GUF/avios where already taken from account, can I demand them back, right?
Unless BA has a solution for you, normally they would be relieved to offer a retund and adding back the GUF + Avios. I think a supervisor needs to sign that off. If it's essentially a redemption booking (which makes a difference and wasn't mentioned in the first post) then there is a refund option anyway.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old May 22, 22, 3:11 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Unless BA has a solution for you, normally they would be relieved to offer a retund and adding back the GUF + Avios. I think a supervisor needs to sign that off. If it's essentially a redemption booking (which makes a difference and wasn't mentioned in the first post) then there is a refund option anyway.
It was a standard cash booking with an upgrade from WTP to CW, but since it was for more than 1 people, the upgrade was made with a GUF for one person and avios for the other.

Last edited by Lefly; May 22, 22 at 3:13 am Reason: correction due to wrong reading
Lefly is offline  
Old May 22, 22, 4:19 am
  #7  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,891
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
It was a standard cash booking with an upgrade from WTP to CW, but since it was for more than 1 people, the upgrade was made with a GUF for one person and avios for the other.
These specific details are a factor here. The UuA has to go into a specific redemption bucket which can cause problems if that bucket is no longer available whien the ticketing problem is discovered. A GUF too has a specific bucket requirements. In those cases, involving another airline, the ticket is supposed to be put into a priority queue but either the agent forgot that or it got lost in the system. The CVV issue should generate a phone call or email, and a follow up. I'm guessing it wasn't paid for in sterling either, which then causes other problems due to the use of external contactors. In unwinding a UuA or GUF there can be further problems if the taxes or fees have changed a lot - BA is supposed to swallow those but requires a supervisor to intervene and maybe back office too.
Lefly likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old May 22, 22, 5:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,732
Maybe 5-7 years ago my clients booked using BA miles on AA business class DFW-LHR.
They got to the airport and BA had not reissued the ticket due to a schedule change and AA had cancelled the seats.
All that was open was first.
There was a scene at the counter with stressful phone calls with BA (back when they would answer) and AA.
BA would not reticket in F as there was no award inventory.
AA would not rebook in F either and basically said it was up to AA.
The client had to book 2 full fare F tickets at over $10,000 at the counter in order to get on the flight.
BA ultimately paid them a check but it involved several letters into several layers of management.
chuck1 is offline  
Old May 22, 22, 8:01 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 104
When did you book? When did you discover the ticket was not issued?
RRROOO is offline  
Old May 22, 22, 4:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,732
In my clients case, and again, it was AA flights booked using BA miles, BA chose not to reissue the ticket at the time of the schedule change.
At that time, and as may happen now, it sat on a queue for weeks and weeks at BA ticketing with no one having worked it.
AA sent numerous "SAGE" messages to BA saying "ticket by xyz or auto cancel". Of course no one read it over at BA.
My clients just thought the itinerary that was emailed to them from BA was sufficient. They don't know about ticket numbers and furthermore they already had ticket numbers from the initial issuance.
chuck1 is offline  
Old May 23, 22, 2:32 am
  #11  
Company Representative, BA Refunds
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Manchester
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 105
I suspect that this one will be sorted via normal processes, ie the advisor or supervisor dealing with your call will let you know the outcome.

If however this has been going on for some time and you haven't received any update, please let me know and I will take a look.

If there was an error on BA's side, and space was cancelled as a result in a lower price bracket, we'll of course absorb the cost of a higher price bracket in order to get it ticketed. It gets slightly more tricky though if the problem stemmed from your end, such as the credit card didn't have enough funds on it, or you gave us an invalid billing address meaning we couldn't debit the card.

It's the sort of query which comes via my back office team fairly infrequently, but in fairness normally gets fixed quite quickly when it does.

Please let me know if you don't get it resolved.
BA refund helper is online now  
Old May 23, 22, 3:12 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by BA refund helper View Post
I suspect that this one will be sorted via normal processes, ie the advisor or supervisor dealing with your call will let you know the outcome.

If however this has been going on for some time and you haven't received any update, please let me know and I will take a look.

If there was an error on BA's side, and space was cancelled as a result in a lower price bracket, we'll of course absorb the cost of a higher price bracket in order to get it ticketed. It gets slightly more tricky though if the problem stemmed from your end, such as the credit card didn't have enough funds on it, or you gave us an invalid billing address meaning we couldn't debit the card.

It's the sort of query which comes via my back office team fairly infrequently, but in fairness normally gets fixed quite quickly when it does.

Please let me know if you don't get it resolved.
Thank you for your reply, .
The fault, I'm sorry to have to say it, is entirely and definitely on BA.

I made the booking via GGL email channel, in order to use a Joker for the mix of avios and GUF upgrades from WTP to CW on the BA sectors, and then called the GGL line to pay.
The call was picked up in India, and after a bit of back and forth regarding the upgrade part, my vouchers and Avios where deducted from my account and I gave all the CC details to pay, CCV included.
Lady on the phone told me the booking was to be routed through the ticketing team and I would receive an email once done.

One or two day after, I received an email asking me to call back regarding this booking. The agent this time was from UK, told me the CCV was missing and to please give it to him again. I did it, and the agent told me everything was now fine and all was set. Trusting him, and due to a lot of things going on in my life, I "forgot" about the booking, thinking I would be called/emailed if they needed the CCV again.

Fast Forward some weeks, and while on "CheckMyTrip" for another reason I decided to review the details for this particular booking. Surprise surprise, AA flights were nowhere to be seen and the BA flights were marked as cancelled. At that point I went in MMB and the booking was no longer there.

The CC was never charged, by the way, and I never got any further communication from BA.

Now, since for me is easier to have a discussion in writing, I'm emailng the GGL team regarding this problem, and I will see what they say. If there are troubles, I'll surely accept your offer, BA refund helper.

PS
Also, the starting issue is happening again. I called Saturday to pay for a new booking, simple one passenger multicity with no upgrade involved, reached India Call Center, gave all the CC info, got the same "it will go to the ticketing team"... and day after I received the email asking to call BA. Guess what was missing?
Lefly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread