LGW this morning [21 May]

Old May 21, 2022, 1:37 am
Original Poster

LGW this morning [21 May]

Is carnage. They are stopping people from even going upstairs. The queue for security is about 400m long.

club check in is 25 mins and getting worse.

Club / silver is an hour from entrance to lounge.

I haven’t even got to the lounge yet
Old May 21, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I hope the flight to MAN doesn’t get delayed too much to allow for passengers to get through security as I have a tight connection once I reach LHR.

In contrast and for once, T3 at MAN this morning at 8am was busy but fast moving. Helped no doubt by the pack of morning Ryanair flights having departed earlier as well as the two BA flights.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Having said that. The first lounge is an order order magnitude more civilised than GF was at LHR a few eeeks ago.

a lot of very stressed passengers in the main halls
Old May 21, 2022, 3:22 am

It sounds stressful but to be honest, the next few weeks and as we go into the summer peak, Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester are likely to be like this or even worse. There is pent up demand for overseas travel so anyone travelling just needs to go prepared for queues and queues. People have thousands of Avios and other frequent miles to burn too! The BA lounges recently have been horrendously busy and last weekend a group of children saw the lounge as a playground. Lounges are rarely an escape from the crowds at the moment but just go prepared!
abraxias likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Door5L
It sounds stressful but to be honest, the next few weeks and as we go into the summer peak, Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester are likely to be like this or even worse. There is pent up demand for overseas travel so anyone travelling just needs to go prepared for queues and queues. People have thousands of Avios and other frequent miles to burn too! The BA lounges recently have been horrendously busy and last weekend a group of children saw the lounge as a playground. Lounges are rarely an escape from the crowds at the moment but just go prepared!
MAN T2 was packed this morning, but security was fine. The main queues are for the bars and restaurants... there just aren't enough.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
MAN T2 was packed this morning, but security was fine. The main queues are for the bars and restaurants... there just aren't enough.
Aren’t enough generally or aren’t enough open? T3 queues are the same, but not all eateries appear open.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
And another damning article...

Is it time to give up on British Airways? An inside look at the carrier in chaos (msn.com)
Old May 21, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Door5L
It sounds stressful but to be honest, the next few weeks and as we go into the summer peak, Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester are likely to be like this or even worse. There is pent up demand for overseas travel [...]
Those of us with more time on Earth under our belts will remember well, long before Covid, the annual phenomenon of "Heathrow/Gatwick/Stansted/Manchester Chaos" stories in the media which would see temporary marquees set up in terminal forecourts and short-term parking zones to cater for the summer hordes flocking to Europe for their 2 weeks in the sun.

Plus ça change...
T8191 and argonath like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
How's LHR today?

In any case I am happy that I fly out on Tuesday and not next Saturday.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
thats a shame. ive done BA from LGW for three weekends recently both morning and afternoons. i was shocked on the bank hols friday to arrive to a ghost airport...there were a total of three people in the entire checkin area of BA in line and security was equally empty. the other two were also incredibly empty and it was all so civilized and wonderful.

but as noted above i can see how going into summer things will probably unravel at LGW like at LHR too.
Old May 21, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by i_concur
Is carnage. They are stopping people from even going upstairs. The queue for security is about 400m long.

club check in is 25 mins and getting worse.

Club / silver is an hour from entrance to lounge.

I haven’t even got to the lounge yet
thats not good to hear, I’ll be there next weekend. Is there a fast track security for Club\Gold do you know? Was aiming to get there 3 hours before but may even pull that to 4 if it’s bad
woobl likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying on BA2640 tomorrow from LGW to SKG. Flight departs at 1540, and was planning on getting there around 1320, but thinking we should be there earlier now...!
Old May 21, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
thats a shame. ive done BA from LGW for three weekends recently both morning and afternoons. i was shocked on the bank hols friday to arrive to a ghost airport...there were a total of three people in the entire checkin area of BA in line and security was equally empty. the other two were also incredibly empty and it was all so civilized and wonderful.
Yes, it is a bit odd it has gone from that to today’s report. I wonder if something else was going on today.

Originally Posted by danboy767
thats not good to hear, I’ll be there next weekend. Is there a fast track security for Club\Gold do you know? Was aiming to get there 3 hours before but may even pull that to 4 if it’s bad
Club/gold would normally get access to Premium Gatwick (which is their brand for Fast Track).
Old May 21, 2022, 1:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Edinburgh was as busy as I have ever seen it today - and they appear to have taken over from Manchester in terms of idiotic rules for security - everything out in lots of separate trays and loads going for secondary screening. It never used to be like that so something has changed!

aks120
Old May 21, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Im guessing it may be because of half term in the platinum week with two bankhols meaning if you wanted 2 weeks away with less leave days needed and didnt mind the kids being off school (most schools dont fine anyone for 5 days missed) and then today would be a good day to go.
We off to CUN on Tuesday with the older kids (not school age), im hoping it will have calmed down by then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.