LGW this morning [21 May]

Old May 22, 22, 2:19 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I posted on here recently, I flew from LGW about 5-6 weeks ago in the middle of the many flight cancellations and airport staff shortage headlines. I got speaking to one of the baggage screening operatives as I waited and he said very early mornings are considerably worse and by around 10:00 things are normal.

He said when security opens (about 03:30 IIRC) there are usually "a few thousand" passengers already waiting to go through and the queue tends to start from around midnight. I got there about 10:30 and it was all OK, not sure if things are any better now.
Old May 22, 22, 3:14 am

My sister’s flight from BOS to GLA had a 3-hr connection between LHR and LGW. Here’s her account of LGW this morning: “Made it to LGW. Chaos. Security line wrapped around the lobby, then went upstairs, then into the actual security area.”
Old May 22, 22, 3:47 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LittleYaris View Post
My sister’s flight from BOS to GLA had a 3-hr connection between LHR and LGW. Here’s her account of LGW this morning: “Made it to LGW. Chaos. Security line wrapped around the lobby, then went upstairs, then into the actual security area.”
At what time this morning was she there?

A 3 hour connection between LHR and LGW is very, very dodgy, even if things are running smoothly!
Old May 22, 22, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH View Post

A 3 hour connection between LHR and LGW is very, very dodgy, even if things are running smoothly!
I was going to say! All you need is a traffic jam on the M25 and you're screwed.
Old May 22, 22, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by xarantine View Post
I was going to say! All you need is a traffic jam on the M25 and you're screwed.
Had that and missed my flight in 2020 however also did a journey from my room in the Gatwick Hilton to the First Lounge at Heathrow via a National Express bus in 58 minutes last week.......
Old May 22, 22, 4:01 am

Yeah, it can be really variable. And you just know that the times you think you'll be delayed and leave lots of time will go smoothly (see - me waiting for security to open at 0400 in LHR T2 this week!), and the times you think will be easy are the ones where you have hell on earth.
Old May 22, 22, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Yesterday there were 3 people checking in all of club / silver / gold.

the line also had WTP / Bronze but split once inside the little check in area.

fast track still worked for security via a secret lift to upstairs.

it seemed security was fully open so I am not sure where the delay was.
Old May 22, 22, 4:22 am

I sometimes find that these queues specifically at check-in are like traffic waves caused by a handful of people clogging up the line and perhaps tying up multiple check-in agents, which then causes a backlog. Obviously airport-wide queues won't be caused by things like that.
Old May 22, 22, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
At what time this morning was she there?

Her flight was scheduled for 9:50am, but was luckily delayed until 10:25am. Her original connection was supposed to be in LHR, but BA cancelled it last minute, and had her connecting through LGW. I had told her to be prepared to miss her flight, but she got lucky.
BOH and xarantine like this.

Last edited by LittleYaris; May 22, 22 at 4:42 am
Old May 22, 22, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I’m right now in LGW. Fast track security was one person in front of me, checkin area looked nothing crazy and the First lounge rather empty. So I guess a lot of flight departing in the morning. I also seen that people waiting in the security line let say at 5am for a 9-10am flight too. I think a lot of people goes to the airport early because they read it on DM that a week ago it was chaos. I’m not blaming them but they are just adding unnecessary wait time for everyone then the airport super busy with restaurants etc. I fly multiple times per week now from LHR, LGW, MAN and many other EU airports and I never had any issue missing flights because of wait time for security. And I had tight connections too like 1 hour at MAN going through security at 7am in the morning. I still managed to get to the gate way too early.
Old May 27, 22, 2:47 am

Lots of angry people at Gatwick this morning on twitter, serious questions already ahead of the start of half term.

Best arrive early it seems is the reccomendation of many as checking in is the initial pinch point.
Old May 27, 22, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Lots of angry people at Gatwick this morning on twitter, serious questions already ahead of the start of half term.

Best arrive early it seems is the reccomendation of many as checking in is the initial pinch point.
Does anyone know whether Twilight check-in is working at the moment? And also do the long queues also affect Premium Gatwick (fast track).

I have a few Gatwick departures coming up, but it is the Sunday 6.05am one in a month's time I am most worried about. Staying at the Hilton but travelling with a baby, doesn't sound like it will be fun.
Old May 27, 22, 4:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
Does anyone know whether Twilight check-in is working at the moment? And also do the long queues also affect Premium Gatwick (fast track).

I have a few Gatwick departures coming up, but it is the Sunday 6.05am one in a month's time I am most worried about. Staying at the Hilton but travelling with a baby, doesn't sound like it will be fun.
Am also curious as to the current state of play at LGW today if anyone has any first-hand experience.
We've an evening IB flight to MAD, on-route to BOG tomorrow. Originally planned on arriving 1hr 45 ahead of departure, now planning 2hrs 45. Should be sufficient with fast-track and OW Emerald check-in right??
Old May 27, 22, 5:23 am

The end of the check in line this morning according to some.
Old May 27, 22, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post

The Gatwick website still suggests that it is not available, however there was a recent post from someone elsewhere who said they were able to check-in luggage the evening before a BA departure. As ever it would be good to have more data points, it's ones of those questions which seems to be asked 10 times more than the number of times that information comes back about it.
lcylocal likes this.

Search this Thread