FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold upgrade voucher on transcontinental (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2080029-gold-upgrade-voucher-transcontinental.html)

cdtdevelopments May 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Gold upgrade voucher on transcontinental

Hi,
would anyone know if you used a guf on a ba ticket from the uk to lax via jfk, would the transcontinental part with American be in flagship first now due to the new allowed use of gufs with aa ?

Rich74 May 20, 2022 12:45 pm

Well it worked for us when we called this evening. All they had to do was check availability, send to the back office in case of any tax changes, and call us back tomorrow to confirm any additional fees/ otherwise.

In the meantime we have been able to select our seats in AA First.

cdtdevelopments May 20, 2022 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Shackyshackleton (Post 34266637)
Well it worked for us when we called this evening. All they had to do was check availability, send to the back office in case of any tax changes, and call us back tomorrow to confirm any additional fees/ otherwise.

thanks for info.

VSLover May 20, 2022 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by cdtdevelopments (Post 34266726)
thanks for info.

where was it announced the GUFs work with AA? i missed this! great news indeed.

Will100 May 20, 2022 1:50 pm

Why would you want to fly AA First over BA?

VSLover May 20, 2022 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Will100 (Post 34266791)
Why would you want to fly AA First over BA?

maybe the op meant on the transcon portion.

tatl, agreed :)

MrMutton May 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Do you know what availability they were looking at? I assumed it would be A-class, but was told it was Avios (e.g. Z-Class) for 'Reward Availability' as per point 12 in the T&Cs. Got LAX-JFK into F, but hoping to move JFK-LAX forward too (both were showing F7A3 on EF so no idea what the lady was on about...)

cdtdevelopments May 20, 2022 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by VSLover (Post 34266787)
where was it announced the GUFs work with AA? i missed this! great news indeed.

got an email today from ba announcing it.

VSLover May 20, 2022 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by cdtdevelopments (Post 34266953)
got an email today from ba announcing it.

all i get are cancellation notices or denial of claims 😂😂😂

VSLover Aug 7, 2022 2:26 am

anyone else done this recently?

i just rang up to extend a LHR-JFK-SFO then LAX-BOS-LHR GUF to cover the transcons from J to F and while it was available on the LAX-BOS segment, it was not available for now on the JFK-SFO (AA seem to release A class a week out). but to that point, the agent said A class must be available for the transcon...and yes after my call the LAX-BOS went from A2 to A1 on expertflyer.

what a great benefit since i often like to include a stop at JFK...though imagine im probably not the normal customer.

Markie Aug 7, 2022 2:42 am

When I spoke to BA last week they told me that there had to be upgrade space available in A, just not revenue A class.
AA often release A 24 hours before travel for SFO/LAX <-> JFK which is too late for BA;

VSLover Aug 7, 2022 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 34492947)
When I spoke to BA last week they told me that there had to be upgrade space available in A, just not revenue A class.
AA often release A 24 hours before travel for SFO/LAX <-> JFK which is too late for BA;

i am not an expert in fare buckets but how is there a difference in a certain fare bucket--i thought thats what buckets are for?

yes, id imagine LAX is tricky given AA sell them in advance for a few hundred extra if not already snapped up. for SFO it seems they release A about a week ahead at least.

now if its the PROPER "A" ... who knows!

Tafflyer Aug 7, 2022 3:07 am

I booked into A class on AA JFK-SFO using a GUF this week. The Gold line agent did need to send me to the GGL team to have it done since she herself was unsure but it was not that difficult. The trick is though that the sector must be on a BA ticket and that A class must be available on both the BA codeshare as well as the AA prime flight. That can be difficult because each airline sometimes has different availability on the same flight.

But I am thrilled with this change as I often use ex-CAI tickets with stopovers in LHR and JFK to the west coast and this allows me TATL in BA First and Transcontinental in AA first for a €1.800 I-class ticket.

chris1979 Aug 7, 2022 3:07 am

do we know / think that this can be applied additionally on a booking where a GUF has already been applied?

I booked a ticket that includes LHR MIA LAX a few months ago - and used a GUF to upgrade the LHR MIA (and return sectors). on the outbound MIA LAX, it's a 77W so has F.

Any thoughts on me calling and asking for the GUF to be 'extended' to also cover this sector?

BONDY Aug 7, 2022 3:17 am

Originally Posted by chris1979 (Post 34492970)
do we know / think that this can be applied additionally on a booking where a GUF has already been applied?

I booked a ticket that includes LHR MIA LAX a few months ago - and used a GUF to upgrade the LHR MIA (and return sectors). on the outbound MIA LAX, it's a 77W so has F.

Any thoughts on me calling and asking for the GUF to be 'extended' to also cover this sector?

Hi Chris

I definitely did this a couple of months ago. I had a booking where I used a GUF to upgrade Heathrow to JFK to First in both directions at the time of booking in March and when I asked in June whether I could apply it to Boston to LAX in both directions (I also have JFK - BOS in the booking) this was possible. There was a tiny amount of extra tax. So, as I had already used the GUF this was pretty much a "free" upgrade for the transcon

Hope this helps

BONDY