Gold upgrade voucher on transcontinental

Old Aug 8, 22, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by wanderingjock View Post
Is it possible to apply an existing GUF, if A availability is realised a few days ahead of my return legs, after I,ve flown the outbound legs? Ie GUF applied to transatlantic segments, and jfk-lax, but no A avail on lax-jfk. If it frees up say 72hrs before return, will GGL line be able to apply GUF? Thks
Yes it is, I did this over the weekend. Flew out in F on the JFK - LAX sector (which ended up being JFK - SFO due to the weather related cancelations) and saw on Saturday that 'A' class had opened on the return so rang the GGL line and they were able to apply the existing GUF to the return sector which was flown yesterday back from LAX - JFK in F.

Pilot37
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 5:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
Yes it is, I did this over the weekend. Flew out in F on the JFK - LAX sector (which ended up being JFK - SFO due to the weather related cancelations) and saw on Saturday that 'A' class had opened on the return so rang the GGL line and they were able to apply the existing GUF to the return sector which was flown yesterday back from LAX - JFK in F.

Pilot37
The GGL Team told me that they needed 24 hours notice to do an upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 22, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
The GGL Team told me that they needed 24 hours notice to do an upgrade.
Sorry for not being fully clear, I was just over the 24hr window, so that message is probably true.

Pilot37
Old Aug 8, 22, 11:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
not in my experience. The initial bookings in business were all Ba flight numbers (codeshare) and each time the agents confirmed the gufed rebooking had to switch to aa prime and did.
My ex-CAI ticket does not allow AA prime for US-domestic sectors, only "Any BA flight" in the fare rules. My now upgraded Transcon shows in MMB as BA.....
Old Aug 8, 22, 11:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
I just booked LAX-JFK with BA flight number. Are you saying that if Both AA has A class and BA has A class it would work?
This was my understanding, but after Markie's contribution I'm not so sure. I am not finding AA upgrade inventory for the sector I upgraded. Before I upgraded, it was showing A3 and now A1 on both AA and BA codes, so revenue inventory has been reduced, but that's not unexpected either.
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
No, I dont think this is entirely correct. It books into A on the BA codeshare if you originally booked this but you do need A inventory on the AA prime for the upgrade. This is a problem sometimes because AA marry A inventory on the transcons (also I-class btw) to AA-operated TATLs . If you have ExpertFlyer, displaying A and I classes for LAX-LHR with connection point JFK and comparing to LAX-JFK is an eye-opener.
I did one a few weeks ago and it definitely needed to be rebooked onto the AA prime (and off the codeshare).
orbitmic and wanderingjock like this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:08 pm

This may be a silly question, but how do you get the above data from EF (i.e. upgrade availability).
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by abligh View Post
This may be a silly question, but how do you get the above data from EF (i.e. upgrade availability).
Yes, that is its source
Old Aug 9, 22, 1:23 am

Yes, that is its source
Thanks. My actual question was "how do you get them from EF?". I now see EF has an awards availability link from a normal search. I have never noticed that before. I learnt something today!
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:35 am

Thanks VSLover for redirecting me to this great thread, learnt a lot, in particular:
- possibility to call GGL, even after a GUF was applied previously if more upgrades become available later on other legs (but 24 hrs before departure latest which may be a challenge as AA releases A sometimes less than 24hrs before)
- the requirement on AA flights to get A (upgrade reward avail) and not only the standard A-sales bucket class (if BA codeshare, to also have A availability in the BA marketed flight)

There a mention of AA marrying TCON and TATL flights when the TATL is AA operated: do I understand correctly that it only matters for booking revenue I class tickets as I inventory may not be the same for let's say a LAX-JFK in isolation (or connecting to a BA JFK LHR) and and a LAX_JFK connecting to an AA JFK to LHR? But once booked, as far as GUF and A availability is concerned, legs can be upgraded independently as long as there is A (upgrade reward) availability for each? So married legs do not impact upgradeability with GUFs in any shape or form?

Thank you
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by FrenchInLondon View Post
There a mention of AA marrying TCON and TATL flights when the TATL is AA operated: do I understand correctly that it only matters for booking revenue I class tickets as I inventory may not be the same for let's say a LAX-JFK in isolation (or connecting to a BA JFK LHR) and and a LAX_JFK connecting to an AA JFK to LHR? But once booked, as far as GUF and A availability is concerned, legs can be upgraded independently as long as there is A (upgrade reward) availability for each? So married legs do not impact upgradeability with GUFs in any shape or form?

Thank you
I don't think we are sure.

I was booking into I-class and upgrading into A-class at the same time. I needed I-class availability on both the TATL and the Transcon to secure the fare and A-class on both to secure the upgrade. I had checked segment for segment and found no BA I or A class on the Transcon sector I wanted even though the agent was offering me availability. Later I checked and saw that if I checked LHR-JFK-SFO in EF I would indeed see the I and A availability. Separately the JFK-SFO sector had A but not I. I also noticed that availability of A and I classes on the JFK-SFO sector was different depending on if the TATL was AA operated (not coded) or not.
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
I don't think we are sure.

I was booking into I-class and upgrading into A-class at the same time. I needed I-class availability on both the TATL and the Transcon to secure the fare and A-class on both to secure the upgrade. I had checked segment for segment and found no BA I or A class on the Transcon sector I wanted even though the agent was offering me availability. Later I checked and saw that if I checked LHR-JFK-SFO in EF I would indeed see the I and A availability. Separately the JFK-SFO sector had A but not I. I also noticed that availability of A and I classes on the JFK-SFO sector was different depending on if the TATL was AA operated (not coded) or not.
Yes the more I look into this, the more it gets interesting / confusing.
the LAX-JFK (AA operated and BA marketed ) and JFK-LHR (AA operated and BA marketed) have A availability for the BA coded flights, and there is actually A-upgrade availability when searching in EF for both flights together (and not individually).
The agent said there was no availability to upgrade these, maybe he was wrong?

(just for context I have a multi sector booking with AA TCONs and was disappointed when the agent told me many were not upgradeable, the is when I understood we were not talking about the same 'A' inventory and got disappointed)
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 29, 22, 6:39 am

Programs: BA, A3, HH, Bonvoy
As a further data point, I spotted A (redemption) availability on my forthcoming JFK-LAX sector. My trip is SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX. Transatlantic flights are BA; other sectors are AA prime. I have already applied a GUF to the booking and so sought to use it for the westbound transcon, too.

GGL agent has confirmed that there is A (redemption) availability but said that I cannot use it because of a married sector (not identifying it). The agent said that it is necessary for BA to email Oneworld to request that the sectors be unmarried but (a) there is no guarantee that this request will be granted; (b) in the meantime, BA cannot take or even put a hold on the A class seat; and (c) it is possible that the reply won't come back from Oneworld for 48 hours, which would then put me inside the 24-hour window pre-flight and therefore unable to implement the upgrade.

I'll report back. But if anyone has any smart ways around this bureaucracy, I'd welcome your ideas!
Old Aug 29, 22, 8:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Generally booking under BA codes doesn't marry segments - booking under AA codes does.
If you book LHR JFK LAX all under BA you can generally take our the BA I class JFK-LAX and replace by BA A class JFK-LAX.
however if this is AA coded, and you have more then 1 flight, eg JFK-LAX-SFO you CANNOT just take out the JFK-LAX. you need to cancel the JFK-LAX and LAX-SFO. IF LAX-SFO still has I class then it's fine as you can then pull JFK-LAX A and LAX-SFO I. more often then not though, LAX-SFO will be sold out or not available in the I class ...
Old Aug 29, 22, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i had a JFK-SFO segment that came available in A upgrade-class and i managed to grab it. however i was booked in a BA codeshare so they had to re-book under the AA prime and i was told i'd get a call back the next day as it could mean a possible additional amount due etc etc.

they actually called the next day...and i got a REFUND of 286euro (trip begins in ATH). while i missed the orignal call, when i rang back the new agent even said "wait that seems unusual, let me put you on hold so i can double and triple check" lol. so, best J to F upgrade value for once!
abligh likes this.

Search this Thread