Gold upgrade voucher on transcontinental

Old Aug 7, 22, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post
do we know / think that this can be applied additionally on a booking where a GUF has already been applied?

I booked a ticket that includes LHR MIA LAX a few months ago - and used a GUF to upgrade the LHR MIA (and return sectors). on the outbound MIA LAX, it's a 77W so has F.

Any thoughts on me calling and asking for the GUF to be 'extended' to also cover this sector?

yes.

thats how i learned this info as i have an itinerary i booked in J (ATH-LHR-JFK-SFO // LAX-BOS-LHR-EDI) and when i booked months ago i used a GUF to move to F on the BA longhauls and this morning used the same already-used GUF for at least one of my two AA transcons from J to F.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:42 am

Reading this thread, I'm unclear as to what availability we need to check for
  1. A class on the BA codeshare
  2. A class on the BA codes and AA prime
  3. A class on the BA codeshare and Z class on the AA prime
There is very limited availability on 3 compared to 1 and 2, and while an upgrade to First is nice, if it means compromising on the itinerary, I'd rather fly my preferred dates/times in J on the transcon, which is perfectly acceptable

But right now, I'm just not sure.
Old Aug 7, 22, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It rebooks into A on the AA Prime.
Old Aug 7, 22, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Thanks. So if I look on ExpertFlyer and see A class on the AA Prime, that's good (as long as it's on the BA codeshare also).

I don't need there to also be Z class availability on the same flight?
Old Aug 7, 22, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
Thanks. So if I look on ExpertFlyer and see A class on the AA Prime, that's good (as long as it's on the BA codeshare also).

I don't need there to also be Z class availability on the same flight?
No need for Z class to be available, just A class under the AA prime. AA tend to only release the A class seats a few days before departure, so keep an eye on things right up the 24hrs before the trip.

Pilot37
VSLover and zen100 like this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
sorry, also confused by this.

My itinerary has the MIA - LAX on BA code (and it's a 125 ticket with GUF already applied to the TATL sectors). will this AA availability allow me to ask them to move me to F?

AA 15360MIA
LAX
77W
Daily
NA / NA
F7 A4 C7 J7 R7 D7 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O0
Old Aug 7, 22, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post
sorry, also confused by this.

My itinerary has the MIA - LAX on BA code (and it's a 125 ticket with GUF already applied to the TATL sectors). will this AA availability allow me to ask them to move me to F?

AA 15360MIA
LAX
77W
Daily
NA / NA
F7 A4 C7 J7 R7 D7 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O0
Yea it should. Just ring the GGL line and ask for your current GUF to be applied agst the above flight. Most of the agents are still learning the ropes (like us all!) so just work through it, but they should be able to confirm the upgrade post a check with Fares Dept to see if any additional taxes are due.

Pilot37
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
No need for Z class to be available, just A class under the AA prime. AA tend to only release the A class seats a few days before departure, so keep an eye on things right up the 24hrs before the trip.
Okay, well I am seeing some A class on the dates I want - not the perfect time of day, but I could make it work.

So either go with the A class ones now, and have the First upgrade locked in - Or pick my perfect flights, but take a chance whether AA will release the A-class availability closer to the time (or not)
Old Aug 7, 22, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Pilot37 View Post
Yea it should. Just ring the GGL line and ask for your current GUF to be applied agst the above flight. Most of the agents are still learning the ropes (like us all!) so just work through it, but they should be able to confirm the upgrade post a check with Fares Dept to see if any additional taxes are due.

Pilot37
Thank you!

Just called and the agent seems to think it's possible (he got confused initially thinking I was looking to apply a new GUF but he then said it should be possible to have the existing one applied). He's holding me in A right now and sending it to the fares department to calculate the difference in taxes so fingers crossed that'll all be reissued tomorrow with the existing GUF extended to the additional sector.

Thank you again for your help.
Old Aug 7, 22, 11:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Is it possible to apply an existing GUF, if A availability is realised a few days ahead of my return legs, after I,ve flown the outbound legs? Ie GUF applied to transatlantic segments, and jfk-lax, but no A avail on lax-jfk. If it frees up say 72hrs before return, will GGL line be able to apply GUF? Thks
Old Aug 7, 22, 11:37 am

A tale of two tickets

I had two similar TP run tickets involving transatlantic BA Jsectors upgraded to F using a GUF and transcontinental J AA sectors on AA flight numbers, one in July and one coming up in November, and both booked before new agreement with AA was announced.

When the new policy was announced I immediately called BA regarding upgrading the two bookings. At the time, there was no AA availability on the July flights, but there was on the two November AA transcontinental bookings. I was charged an additional 30 in additional taxes for this.

Shortly before my July flights, I noticed A class become available and immediately rang BA for the upgrade. They said this could be done but would cost an additional 170 in taxes. I was a little surprised and asked them to confirm the difference. This they did, but said was correct. I declined the upgrade.

I then looked at the difference in fares on AA.com and discovered that this was around 25. I queried this with YouFirst who confirmed that the original 170 quotation was correct as they had to recalulate the fares from the point of origin.

Given the similarity in the routings and fare types, I must confess I am a little confused. I'm about to book yet another similar itinerary for next May and am curious as to what I will be charged for the J to F upgrade on 2 x BA transatlantic and 2 x AA transcontinental sectors.

P.S. And so in answer to the question above. A GUF in a pre-existing booking can be applied to further AA transcontinental sectors at a later stage if A redemption class appears . .on the same booking. Must confess I don't understand the exact difference between A commercial and A redemption class is or how one finds out if it is available.
wanderingjock likes this.

Last edited by Uranus06; Aug 7, 22 at 12:54 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
No, I dont think this is entirely correct. It books into A on the BA codeshare if you originally booked this but you do need A inventory on the AA prime for the upgrade. This is a problem sometimes because AA marry A inventory on the transcons (also I-class btw) to AA-operated TATLs . If you have ExpertFlyer, displaying A and I classes for LAX-LHR with connection point JFK and comparing to LAX-JFK is an eye-opener.
Old Aug 7, 22, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
I booked into A class on AA JFK-SFO using a GUF this week. The Gold line agent did need to send me to the GGL team to have it done since she herself was unsure but it was not that difficult. The trick is though that the sector must be on a BA ticket and that A class must be available on both the BA codeshare as well as the AA prime flight. That can be difficult because each airline sometimes has different availability on the same flight.

But I am thrilled with this change as I often use ex-CAI tickets with stopovers in LHR and JFK to the west coast and this allows me TATL in BA First and Transcontinental in AA first for a 1.800 I-class ticket.
I just booked LAX-JFK with BA flight number. Are you saying that if Both AA has A class and BA has A class it would work?
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
No, I dont think this is entirely correct. It books into A on the BA codeshare if you originally booked this but you do need A inventory on the AA prime for the upgrade. .
not in my experience. The initial bookings in business were all Ba flight numbers (codeshare) and each time the agents confirmed the gufed rebooking had to switch to aa prime and did.
abligh likes this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Just had another agent confirm that there has to be space in the upgrade sub-set of A class to get the upgrade cleared. Below is an example where A is available for revenue but not for Upgrades and I was denied an upgrade.

Search this Thread