Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you wish BA was partnered with a different airline than IB?

Old May 20, 2022, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond

If so, why? I’m thinking more of in terms of route network, fleet rather than the economics/politics of an airline alliance.

personally, for the route network (and home airport), I’d pick KLM.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For me, transiting through AMS offers little appeal when I have LHR (relatively speaking) on my doorstep. IB is a good fit with BA strong across the North Atlantic and IB offering destinations in Latin America that BA would never be able to serve. In time, we may see further acquisitions and certainly an Eastern European partner would be beneficial.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jeedos
If so, why? I’m thinking more of in terms of route network, fleet rather than the economics/politics of an airline alliance.
Yes: QF. Ah, halcyon days. LHR-JNB-SYD is something that I really miss.
simonsmith, Fritz, Genius1 and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes: QF. Ah, halcyon days. LHR-JNB-SYD is something that I really miss.
KL would have been a good fit but for me I always regret BA not getting into bed with LX when they had the opportunity
choosethedrew and mrow like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:36 am

I have never really understood the benefit for BA and IB. I get Aer Lingus it's really close enough to relieve some pressure at Heathrow and Gatwick.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Yep Air Astana as its where most of my traffic goes…….& covers Central Asia which IAG doesn’t ….. & its already half owned by a British company (BAe). Trouble is Air Astana economy puts BA to shame
Old May 20, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I’m afraid that at the end of the night at the disco BA was very slow finding a dancing partner and only our Latin lover was without chaperone. Or equally, from
her account, she was left with only the rotund but rich English squire with huge mansion who was casting sheep’s eyes at her.

A crying shame as an Aussie beach babe or Dutch bombshell would’ve perhaps taught him to cook and arrange his living room better.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I’m afraid that at the end of the night at the disco BA was very slow finding a dancing partner and only our Latin lover was without chaperone. Or equally, from
her account, she was left with only the rotund but rich English squire with huge mansion who was casting sheep’s eyes at her.

A crying shame as an Aussie beach babe or Dutch bombshell would’ve perhaps taught him to cook and arrange his living room better.
Have you ever had the food on KLM? I think not....Iberia (even BA) food is way better than that
Mordac likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Have you ever had the food on KLM? I think not....Iberia (even BA) food is way better than that
I know having the starter, main, side salad, cheese and dessert served separately will come as a huge shock but the designer crockery and Amsterdam House filled with Jenever will hopefully see you right.
Fritz likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
KL would have been a good fit but for me I always regret BA not getting into bed with LX when they had the opportunity
LX is a quality airline but they’re not that big, are they? I am assuming BA needed to go with someone more hefty to stand a chance.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
LX is a quality airline but they’re not that big, are they? I am assuming BA needed to go with someone more hefty to stand a chance.
I believe Iberia's fleet size is smaller than Swiss (79 vs. 90) and they also serve fewer destinations...
Old May 20, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
You must be joking! Last time I flew with KLM I had a proper light meal in J while things like empanadas were snacks. In BA J class they were/are serving sausage rolls as a light meal!
Old May 20, 2022, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ermis177
. In BA J class they were/are serving sausage rolls as a light meal!
Brits love sausage rolls.

As for the OP's question. Given I'm not a status chase it doesn't matter a lot. No direct flights from EZE to Glesga anyway.

Last edited by HIDDY; May 20, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
You must be joking! Last time I flew with KLM I had a proper light meal in J while things like empanadas were snacks. In BA J class they were/are serving sausage rolls as a light meal!
Sausage rolls as a ‘light meal’ requires minimal thought / effort (not to mention cost) so very much in line with the current BA approach.

I flew MAD-BOG yesterday with IB, who offered pre-landing light meal options of either pasta mezzelune or a good selection of tapas. But far more noteworthy is the fact IB provide J class pax with a comprehensive lunch menu, presented in some style and course-by-course ; in marked contrast to their sister airline’s ongoing single-tray business but economy lookalike meals. Have generally been impressed with IB long-haul J catering, and yesterday’s experience was one of my best yet.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Trouble is Air Astana economy puts BA to shame
And their domestic/short haul J is wonderful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.