Buying Superglue T5 Airside?

Old May 19, 2022, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Buying Superglue T5 Airside?

Is the collective wisdom of FT aware of anywhere I can buy superglue airside in T5?
Old May 19, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Try WHSmiths?
Old May 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
WHSmith would be the only possible store to stock this, although their stationery selection (which glue would fall in to) is tiny in travel stores compared to high street stores.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
WH Smith airside in T5, does not sell any sort of glue. They do sell Parker Quink ink catridges so there is hope for us all yet. This is the branch by Crown Rivers, the smaller one by Paul Smith always seems to be closed when I'm in T5. The T5B branch is bigger than either, but that was a research project too far. However I have an easy FT answer, namely a B2B to NCL where super-glue (3), and a strangely comprehensive selection of laptop screen cleaners are readily available along with 80 TPs.

I must admit I thought it would be a banned substance airside, but I've checked the paperwork and it's not.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
That parcel tape could come in handy once you've arrived at T5 if there there is an exodus of Chads walking around GF with their phones on loudspeaker.
GadgetGal likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

May I ask what you want Superglue for?
Old May 22, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
For the inevitable seat repair?
ajamieson likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dougzz
For the inevitable seat repair?
That had crossed my mind. As had for an emergency denture repair.
Old May 22, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Perhaps a Starbucks protest for vegan milk upcharges?
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 1:42 pm

to glue a travel companions spikes back onto his hot dog warmer?
HIDDY, jeroen100, Kgmm77 and 3 others like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
That parcel tape could come in handy once you've arrived at T5 if there there is an exodus of Chads walking around GF with their phones on loudspeaker.
I'm surprised it's there TBH. I once had come from running a gig and hadn't slept so accidentally had left a pair of big scissors, cable ties and gaffer in my bag. All were confiscated with much blushing and apologising on my part but that led me to believe that something you could use to restrain people wouldn't be allowed.

Perhaps it was the context of the other items that meant my gaffer was seen in a different light!
Old May 22, 2022, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
WH Smith airside in T5, does not sell any sort of glue. They do sell Parker Quink ink catridges so there is hope for us all yet. This is the branch by Crown Rivers, the smaller one by Paul Smith always seems to be closed when I'm in T5. The T5B branch is bigger than either, but that was a research project too far. However I have an easy FT answer, namely a B2B to NCL where super-glue (3), and a strangely comprehensive selection of laptop screen cleaners are readily available along with 80 TPs.

I must admit I thought it would be a banned substance airside, but I've checked the paperwork and it's not.
Alas my connection time precluded a quick B2B to NCL

An emergency shoe repair. I was forced to change into an un-broken-in pair of Gucci loafers. Im a trooper though, so pulled through 😁

Cheeky bugger, this 30-something has his own full set of well maintained nashers
Whiterose and HIDDY like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Firstly apologies I had meant to look in WH Smith today as I agree that was going to be the most likely place, but I forgot and also it seems someone had already done some investigation

They do sell Parker Quink ink cartridges so there is hope for us all yet.
Sorry for going off topic, but I definitely stay away from parker inks and their ink cartridges. In fact I am not a fan at all of many of their modern fountain pens which I find completely hopeless - I do have an old Parker 51 though which I bought 12 years ago and was my first proper fountain pen. These days I have a few others, and I tend to lean very heavily towards Pilot, with the occasional Lamy 2000 and Faber-Castell Loom thrown in. I thoroughly recommend using converters rather than cartridges partly as it gives you access to a much bigger range of inks you can use, and there are some very good inks such as from diamine with their very large range of colours. I usually have 2/3 pens with me when travelling. Fountain pens are notorious in not enjoying pressure changes, but as long as you top them up before going they are usually ok due to minimising air in the converter. The only place ever to pull my bag was INV once as they weren't sure what the 3 pens in a pen case were from the image - they did think insulin needles - but they were happy to swab them and send me on my way.

Paper wise get some decent paper as well, and not the cheap stuff. I am currently using up a few pads of Smythson paper, and there is a Smythson shop just at the bottom of the escalators leading to the south lounges. The shop does sell paper. Tbh I prefer the Rhodia pads though as they are perfectly good and a bit more easy on the wallet.

I often wish there was a decent fountain pen shop in T5, it might actually be a shop I would go to!

[/off-topic]
Old May 23, 2022, 4:52 am

I have a Parker 51, it's the same age as me!

I have only taken it on a flight once and it did leak although harmlessly. It is a conventional squeeze fill, not your modern cartridge or screw filling thing!
KARFA and Fatdickie like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:28 am

I have been carrying around a really small tube of superglue with me when i travel for the same reason (Nikes are not glued that well and it comes apart if you have had them for a certain amount of time) and never even thought that it might be prohibited.

For others, i find going to get the 10 pack from poundland which has tiny little tubes are great for travel emergencies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.