FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How much Amps can I draw from the new clubworld seat? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2079432-how-much-amps-can-i-draw-new-clubworld-seat.html)

plunet May 17, 2022 12:28 am

The act of trying to pool power from multiple seat sockets is just dangerous and against electrical codes and liable to end up dispensing an electrical shock. I posted a link to a flippant way of cooking a frankfurter yesterday but your reply makes me suspect you are actually seriously thinking about this.

Let's have a think about it... You would effectively need to have a 4 headed cable.... 4 male plugs all joined together at some point leading to a female plug or directly to the appliance.

The problem here is that when you plug in the cable into seat 1, the protruding prongs on the plugs on cables 2, 3 and 4 are now live/hot. Add a bit of unexpected turbulence or someone misjudges things and that's someone who is now in need of medical attention. You could probably do something to mitigate this with inline switches but they would need to be double pole (both live/hot and neutral) and ideally switching all 4 cables at the same time. These kind of switches do exist but typically only for commercial/industrial applications.

Another issue is that you or I don't know the detail of the aircraft electrical supply. Most importantly is whether the supply to these different seats are all in phase with each other. If they are not in-phase then you would likely end up with some kind of kaboom when connecting sockets together that have different phase supplies. Whilst I am sure there are RCD/GFIs deployed on these circuits, you just don't know how it's all going to react. Joining together AC circuits from different phases always has a bad end result. Any other devices on the same circuit will also see an electrical surge and over-voltage situation and you might now blown other passenger devices and depending on the electrical blast radius, maybe also impact other stuff.

A different issue is that although the inferred supply is 125W per seat, you can also assume that there is some circuit and power protection for multiple seats, and it's highly likely that should all these sockets you are targeting be on the same protection device, the device would be rated lower than the maximum theoretical rating of (say) 500W. Exactly what the margins are here it's impossible for me to say. Assuming there was any sense in this idea (which there isn't) you would not be trying to target the full rated power draw through any one circuit so this would suggest that adding a 5th seat supply would be sensible. Which of course it wouldn't be for other reasons.

This is so dangerous from an electrical point of view, I wouldn't be surprised if this was discovered and there was any smell of anything having gone wrong (let alone a whiff of a hotdog) I wouldn't be surprised if you were not slapped with a lifetime ban, and that just assumes it didn't cause a problem where the aircraft didn't have to divert due to a medical emergency arising from electrocution, or being met at the aircraft door by Her Majesty's Constabulary (or other equally fine local law enforcement) due to high-flying stupidity and probably something along the lines of endangering an aircraft.

Just stop. Stop now. Pranks are all very well but safety is not something to risk at 30000 ft.

Jon Baker May 17, 2022 1:30 am

Originally Posted by powershell (Post 34255376)
I'm sorry for the delay in responding, there seems to be a limit of some sort, and as Corporate-Wage-Slave pointed out, it's for anti-spam.

Not going until June but really need to get a plan in place to ensure there are not surprises of any sort. Had issues with security already!

I was certainly not proposing to get four club world seats or four first-class seats for power alone. I am not wanting to disturb anyone this unit it totally sealed. Ideally, all I want to do, without making a big deal if it, is to inconspicuously connect a few seats either going back across the window areas at the side of the aircraft or going across the cabin using one of these either from seat to seat or the heavy duty power available near the gallies.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_SX450_.jpg

Way back before covid it was no issue getting the crew in club or first to heat up anything but it seems this is no longer possible, I don’t think it ever was officially allowed but due to status or class of travel they often helped out, I don’t travel the same these days, I am GFL but I suspect that is due to dtry requirements

A big battery pack is an option but they don’t like high rate LIHOn.

Before taking through security as BN is classed as a liquid it was taken and not allowed. (totally fair enough!) So this left us with the product only and no glass either! So as you imagined it has to get binned.

Regarding the spikes: there is no spikes, the one is unscrewed and a cylinder bar is in place, I am not trying to take illegal spikes or liquids on board

So all I was asking if its ok to either connect having 1 master seat and the rest a cable up the side

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...97c4b47aaa.png

I hope this make sense.

These are very safe units, with safety power cut off and 99% silent so not trying to disturb anything

I'm amazed that in (about) 14 posts no one has noticed that the dastardly OP's cunning plan to enjoy their inflight hotdogs in F seems to involve stealing the power from rows of J seats! :cool:

I mean sure he's probably going to be on his honeymoon and proposed to the Mrs at a hotdog stand and needs to fully complete the experience. Understandable :D

Or his father/brother/favorite uncle was the world's greatest hotdog seller who recently passed away and is being transported in the bowels of the aircraft and needs a truely fitting send off? Tragic :(

But surely limit the disruption to F and leave the poor impoverished J class travellers the use of their own power sockets :D:D

blurt91 May 17, 2022 1:34 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 34256375)
If they are not in-phase then you would likely end up with some kind of kaboom when connecting sockets together that have different phase supplies.

Some kind of kaboom really is the most likely outcome! This thread really has been a fantastic laugh because surely OP isn't serious! Mind you how many outlets would you need to run a washing machine, dryer and iron? You could get back from a trip with all your clothes clean and ironed!

AJA_ May 17, 2022 2:35 am

powershell I think the short answer to your query is NO.

The long answer is this is a non-starter for all of the reasons given in the replies to this thread whether flippant or seriously given.

But thanks for the entertainment you have provided. I have not laughed out loud quite so much on any other thread on FT.

I know you're serious (either that or it's the best double bluff I've ever seen) but your idea is really not going to work. So either accept the food offering on board or buy a picnic pack from Plane Food or M&S in the airport and enjoy that as you fly.

Welcome to FT by the way. I hope you continue to contribute with other wacky ideas or some less bizarre.

Cw novice May 17, 2022 2:40 am

If the thread doesn't end with a photo of Hot Dogs and a glass of LPGS we've all been had.

Why wouldn't it be feasible to ask the CC to cook them for you in one of the ovens. Seems fairly logical. Am sure YouFirst have had more peculiar requests.

Or maybe setup in the CCR terrace preflight and cater to the masses.

golfmad May 17, 2022 2:48 am

Originally Posted by powershell (Post 34255376)

Not going until June…

Please let us know which date in June. I’d like to apply a personal exclusion zone in both space and time.

fransknorge May 17, 2022 2:59 am

Originally Posted by blurt91 (Post 34256487)
Some kind of kaboom really is the most likely outcome! This thread really has been a fantastic laugh because surely OP isn't serious! Mind you how many outlets would you need to run a washing machine, dryer and iron? You could get back from a trip with all your clothes clean and ironed!

I would not be so sure he is not serious. We know that doing really stupid and dangerous things for your own little comfort prime above any consideration of safety.

Jumbodriver May 17, 2022 3:25 am

The Air Navigation Order

Endangering safety of an aircraft

240. A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.
This is what you’d inevitably be arrested for on arrival if you tried anything this stupid on an aircraft.

VSLover May 17, 2022 3:30 am

im still baffled why one would think it ok to use power from additional seats occupied and purchased by other passengers? ignoring the goal, it is the gall to just presume "not wanting to disturb anyone this unit it totally sealed" so you'd only disturb others if this absurd idea were to work?

cook the hot dogs at home, keep in warm thermos, dump water before security, have thermos refilled in lounge.

DYKWIA May 17, 2022 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice (Post 34256566)
If the thread doesn't end with a photo of Hot Dogs and a glass of LPGS we've all been had.

The follow up to these sort of threads is generally something like : "Thanks for the advice, it worked fine!". :)

Cw novice May 17, 2022 4:26 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 34256685)
The follow up to these sort of threads is generally something like : "Thanks for the advice, it worked fine!". :)

Followed by a separate thread similar to the poor chap who happened to bring a McDonald's into F

RG1X May 17, 2022 4:31 am

Thread of the year for me so far. :D

flying_geek May 17, 2022 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice (Post 34256690)
Followed by a separate thread similar to the poor chap who happened to bring a McDonald's into F

I guess I missed that thread. But in 2020 I was a VS MIA-LHR flight - no F of course, but only three people in J - was in the middle of Covid and we got Gift cards at check in which could only be redeemed at McDonalds (It was technically for all concessions - but McD was the only place open). This was in the days of card board boxes in F on BA.

Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues May 17, 2022 5:59 am

I’m just totally puzzled. Either OP is serious in which case IMO they have more than one screw loose and need to be prevented from attempting anything so reckless.
Or it’s all a joke but it is just weird not funny. Still they have made us all look which is probably the point.
🤷‍♀️

SteveF May 17, 2022 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues (Post 34256845)
I’m just totally puzzled. Either OP is serious in which case IMO they have more than one screw loose and need to be prevented from attempting anything so reckless.
Or it’s all a joke but it is just weird not funny. Still they have made us all look which is probably the point.
🤷‍♀️

Maybe they are a frankfurter short of a hotdog would be more appropriate in this instance.