FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No Bourbon/Whiskey but plenty of Gin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2078946-no-bourbon-whiskey-but-plenty-gin.html)

AleTrail May 11, 2022 7:35 am

No Bourbon/Whiskey but plenty of Gin

Seriously?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5a543375a.jpeg

SKT-DK May 11, 2022 7:47 am

What am I missing? - I see two whisky, three gin, one rum and one vodka? How is that no whisky?

Unless it’s the spelling (origin) of course..

HIDDY May 11, 2022 7:48 am

Must admit I've never ever tried Bourbon or Whiskey so going without on a flight wouldn't be a problem. The Singleton would do me just fine. :tu:

Wing It One World May 11, 2022 8:18 am

I totally agree, they have removed cognac from all flights and business and first lounges, no explanation and a loose apology and they will pass comments on to catering team.

I might understand if they could be bothered to explain why. It clearly not a space issue. Everyone clearly love Gin more. NOT.

krispy84 May 11, 2022 8:37 am

As a non whisk(e)y drinker, having a single malt and a blended would seem to tick the box in terms of offering. Lack of Cognac (or any brandy) is more significant IMHO.

gingerlucy May 11, 2022 8:56 am

Whilst it looks like there are three gin choices, in practice it seems to be that there's lots of Aviation on offer and very little of the others. There was a discussion on this in the CE catering thread where several of us had experienced only Aviation being available (this does not meet my approval as it tastes quite strongly of vanilla). Since then on my last flight outbound I asked if there was any Tanqueray and the crew member gave me the only two miniatures of it she had on the plane. On the way back I overheard both the couple in front and the couple behind us ask for anything but Aviation and there was nothing available. So don't be disheartened, there aren't really three types of gin!

endoman May 11, 2022 9:07 am

Bourbon is a totally different animal to Scotch. It's something I drink fairly often on long haul with coke. Of course Jack Daniels isn't Bourbon by definition, but Whiskey. Hope it's there next month! 3 gins is over the top IMHO. Not a huge fan of Aviation.

Wing It One World May 11, 2022 9:33 am

Easy Fix:

They could reduce the amount of gin to 1, add bourbon and cognac , surely this would hit many more customers and would make the flights ,if you can get one more bearable.

Sadly BA seems to be doing all it can currently to upset as many customers as possible.

I know of crew who have complained via their reporting system. BA seems to be ignoring them as well and forcing everyone to drink aviation Gin. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

London Dude May 11, 2022 10:34 am

This is one of the several reasons I prefer AA to BA across the pond. When I flew BA in J to ORD in late December the only whiskey options on the drinks menu were JW Black and Bulleit bourbon, which I actually like and drink regularly. AA offers Woodford Reserve, which is superior to both in my book, as well as 12-year-old Glenlivet and JD. Anyway, I asked for a Bullleit, only to have the CSD come back and apologetically inform me that the Bulleit hadn't been loaded and only the JW Black was available. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/imag...s/rolleyes.gif

Mr Silver K May 11, 2022 12:42 pm

I’m a fan of bourbon and have always been disappointed by the lack of offering. BA started to offer a ‘cocktail’ with bourbon which was basically bourdon and coke.

Either way, I think the point is the lack of choice. Limiting passengers to less spirit selections which include multiple of the same spirit just comes across that passengers are being funnelled in to the drinks BA want people to drink. Give people choice so the people of all spirits can have a selection. Equality is all we are after here

OnceARunner May 11, 2022 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 34240596)
What am I missing? - I see two whisky, three gin, one rum and one vodka? How is that no whisky?

Unless it’s the spelling (origin) of course..

Scotch-style whisky is nothing like bourbon whiskey. Almost two different spirits imo.

Prospero May 11, 2022 1:47 pm

I’m just wondering if the withdrawal of American whiskey is a consequence of crazy import tariffs

London Dude May 11, 2022 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 34241661)
I’m just wondering if the withdrawal of American whiskey is a consequence of crazy import tariffs

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the booze served by airlines on intl routes is subject to duties. Isn't that why the drinks carts must stay sealed until take-off and in most cases alcohol cannot be served on board until after take-off? The F and J cabins are the exception, but the duties payable on those pre-take-off drinks can be easily justified by the premium fares paid by those passengers.

camdentown May 11, 2022 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by London Dude (Post 34241794)
I may be wrong, but I don't think that the booze served by airlines on intl routes is subject to duties. Wasn't that why in most cases alcohol cannot be served on board until after take-off? The F and J cabin are the exception, but the duties payable on those pre-take off drinks can be easily justified by the premium fares paid by those passengers.

Correct I believe.

Prospero May 11, 2022 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by London Dude (Post 34241794)
I may be wrong, but I don't think that the booze served by airlines on intl routes is subject to duties. Isn't that why the drinks carts must stay sealed until take-off and in most cases alcohol cannot be served on board until after take-off? The F and J cabins are the exception, but the duties payable on those pre-take-off drinks can be easily justified by the premium fares paid by those passengers.

UK excise exempt as you say but a UK importer would still subject to import tariffs on booze produced in the US