No Bourbon/Whiskey but plenty of Gin

Old May 11, 22, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wing It One World View Post
BA seems to be ignoring them as well and forcing everyone to drink aviation Gin.
It’s not BA doing it. It’s fairly obvious that the brand agents behind Aviation gin have done a deal to push it down everyone’s throats (and gain brand awareness in the process), hence all the publicity and it flooding every flight and lounge simultaneously.
camdentown likes this.
Old May 11, 22, 3:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
UK excise exempt as you say but a UK importer would still subject to import tariffs on booze produced in the US
on further reading, I understand the retaliative import tariffs will end on 1 June 2022
Old May 11, 22, 4:23 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
No dark rum and no Armagnac. In the scheme of major BA fails, this probably ranks in the low thousands, but still...
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 11, 22, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
No dark rum and no Armagnac. In the scheme of major BA fails, this probably ranks in the low thousands, but still...
I'm partial to a dark rum so would agree.
Old May 11, 22, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I'd be quite happy to see BA take up what IB offers and have Cardinal Mendoza on the list as the brandy instead of having Cognac.
Old May 12, 22, 12:18 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
On my last two CW flights to/from TLV there has been no Singleton, only Jonny Walker. Nobody could explain why ...
Old May 12, 22, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Wing It One World View Post
Easy Fix:

They could reduce the amount of gin to 1, add bourbon and cognac , surely this would hit many more customers and would make the flights ,if you can get one more bearable.
You simply don't have enough data to say this: if gin sells out on every flight and bourbon/cognac are rarely used then stocking even more gin would be the logical choice. BA do have the data, though they may not be using it...!
Old May 12, 22, 1:30 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
I've missed the JD in CE and the other, nice bourbon they used to have in F. They had another called Bulleit I think for a while but that seems to have shuffled off too. It's possibly a good thing as I now substitute just with water. I don't mind gin, but I have been through my gin phase in life really - and I won't drink it just because it's there.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 12, 22, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
I've missed the JD in CE and the other, nice bourbon they used to have in F. They had another called Bulleit I think for a while but that seems to have shuffled off too. It's possibly a good thing as I now substitute just with water. I don't mind gin, but I have been through my gin phase in life really - and I won't drink it just because it's there.
Same here, I allways have JD when flying BA in CE. A few weeks ago on the flight from LHR-LAX and vice versa no JD anymore... Kind of ridiculous to not have any JD or bourbon the plane...
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old May 12, 22, 5:07 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Aviation gin isn't nice, would be nice to have a Kentucky bourbon and dark rum as choices too
Old May 12, 22, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP
Couple of bits....

1. They used to serve Jack Daniels in CE until February 2020, however they only used to load 3 per bar. { 6 in total. } They replaced it with Bullet Bourbon, still 3 per bar. Since Dec 2021 they have only had it loaded on 1 of the 6 sectors we've taken.

2. There are other spirits loaded on the bar that don't feature in the menu for some reason. { Smirnoff being the one I can remember. }
ThatT1Feeling and Mr Silver K like this.
Old May 12, 22, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
It’s not BA doing it. It’s fairly obvious that the brand agents behind Aviation gin have done a deal to push it down everyone’s throats (and gain brand awareness in the process), hence all the publicity and it flooding every flight and lounge simultaneously.
It does seem to be being pushed very seriously. Diageo bought the brand in mid-2020 so I assume that is why. I think everything on the CE spirits list is Diageo, except Bacardi which is still privately-held.

What annoys me about the Aviation thing is that it is very much an American-style gin which are much lower on the juniper content than British gins. I like it well enough in the kind of cocktail where the vanilla notes bring something to the party, but it makes a G&T which does not taste like a G&T should! Call me a traditionalist, but I do think that BA should have available (by which I mean load, not just list on paper...) an actual British-style gin.

I'd be very happy to see a dark rum or a JD back on the menu too.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old May 12, 22, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
You simply don't have enough data to say this: if gin sells out on every flight and bourbon/cognac are rarely used then stocking even more gin would be the logical choice. BA do have the data, though they may not be using it...!
they certainly won’t be ‘selling out’ of cognac if they don’t stock it…
Old May 12, 22, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by bafan View Post
they certainly won’t be ‘selling out’ of cognac if they don’t stock it…
Likewise they'd never know if they should stock something else without an element of rotation to the lineup. Of course the primary driver is always going to be whose distributor is willing to give the best deal.
Old May 12, 22, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by London Dude View Post
This is one of the several reasons I prefer AA to BA across the pond. When I flew BA in J to ORD in late December the only whiskey options on the drinks menu were JW Black and Bulleit bourbon, which I actually like and drink regularly. AA offers Woodford Reserve, which is superior to both in my book, as well as 12-year-old Glenlivet and JD. Anyway, I asked for a Bullleit, only to have the CSD come back and apologetically inform me that the Bulleit hadn't been loaded and only the JW Black was available.
BTW, on my flight to ORD back in december they didn't have any mini bottles in J. The JW Black came out of a regular-size bottle. Probably another "enhancement" for our benefit..

Last edited by London Dude; May 12, 22 at 7:48 am

Search this Thread