Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Check-in and Security Times at Dublin Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver

Just wondering if Dublin Airport continues to be extremely busy? I have a 7:30 am flight on this coming Saturday morning (DUB - LHR), and am wondering: 1. Is there business class check-in at DUB, and 2. Will my Silver status allow me to use the fast-track security lane. Don't really want to allocate a full three hours for landside to airside, but fearing I will need to based on what I've been reading in other posts...
Old May 11, 2022, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Yes on both counts to your questions ( Fast Track was closed in T2 last Sunday but I think it's still open in T1 and is open normally in T2 as well )

it's improved at DUB but it's still not great , especially early morning ( as all the Aer Lingus and Ryanair aircraft based there are departing at the same time so it's a big rush ) .. They publish the current wait times on the top of their departures page -https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures and they are reasonably accurate .. assuming Fast Track is open ( it should be ) then you can use it and it should be fairly fast ( much faster than the wait times quoted )
Old May 11, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Betty Johnson
Just wondering if Dublin Airport continues to be extremely busy? I have a 7:30 am flight on this coming Saturday morning (DUB - LHR), and am wondering: 1. Is there business class check-in at DUB, and 2. Will my Silver status allow me to use the fast-track security lane. Don't really want to allocate a full three hours for landside to airside, but fearing I will need to based on what I've been reading in other posts...
I had a 7:30am BA departure last month and I got there at 5:15am.

Check-in did not start processing the queue until 5:30am, I was seen about 5:40am in the Club Europe / Priority queue and was through Fast-Track security in T1 in about three minutes.

I don't think there's any need to get there any earlier than 5:30am for the 7:30am departure but I also wouldn't get there any later - just in case.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Pyrite
I took the 7:50am flight last Friday.
Arrived at 6:10am. One person in the CE queue at the counters who finished just as I turned up. No queue at Fast Track security.
What did delay me was the high proportion of bags being selected for secondary screening. Unlike many other airports DUB requires eReaders to be taken out of any bag, same as laptops and tablets. They also seem very suspicious of cables, even if separately bagged.

As it's the first flight boarding can start at ~30 minutes before departure so don't hang around in the lounge if you want to be on early for overhead space
Old May 11, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
BA is fortunate to fly out of T1. The situation in T2 is very different. Last week my son flew DUB-JFK and the line spilled down the access road. Fortunately he knew that he could get to T2 airside from T1 and walked over there, where the wait was minimal.
oceanscape likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Silver
This was great information, thank you. We arrived at the Dublin Airport about 2 hours before our flight and were done with priority check-in and fast track security in about 30 minutes. The only real delay was at security, with a number of passengers who required secondary personal screening after setting off the metal detectors, including me...
FlightDetective likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
My sister and I have both flown from DUB in the last couple of weeks and normal security has been fluid. Fast track has been taken off sale, but you can still get it with a sufficiently shiny card.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:51 am

First post for me! Long time follower, never posted before.

I have an economy ticket from DUB to LHR on BA in a few weeks. However I'm OneWorld emerald. I believe the emerald level means I can use the priority/first class BA check-in counter for our bags and the fast track security. Is that right? Panicked about the possible wait times although we don't fly until late morning so it sounds like the early morning rush may be done by that time.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by JJSUmpire
First post for me! Long time follower, never posted before.

I have an economy ticket from DUB to LHR on BA in a few weeks. However I'm OneWorld emerald. I believe the emerald level means I can use the priority/first class BA check-in counter for our bags and the fast track security. Is that right? Panicked about the possible wait times although we don't fly until late morning so it sounds like the early morning rush may be done by that time.
Yes .. One World emerald should get you fast track security in Dublin and the priority line at checkin

In general after their security melt down a few weeks ago things seem much better in Dublin recently .. so I wouldn't worry too much .. You can see ( reasonably accurate ) current queue times posted on https://www.dublinairport.com/flight...ive-departures
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yes .. One World emerald should get you fast track security in Dublin and the priority line at checkin

In general after their security melt down a few weeks ago things seem much better in Dublin recently .. so I wouldn't worry too much .. You can see ( reasonably accurate ) current queue times posted on https://www.dublinairport.com/flight...ive-departures

Just a word of warning Im flying in and out weekly and the times posted on the daa website are often misleading . Last week it said 30 mins and it took 60 . Head to the dedicated thread on Aer Lingus forum for regular updates .
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Data point, unable to check in online for today's 07:50 BA0831. ( we have connection to PHX later). I did try in the F lounge yesterday at LHR and they could see Verifly was correct etc so probably just a passport check. Arrived at airport at 06:35, one person ahead of us in premium check in, got boarding passes then about 6 people in front for fast track security. " random" swabs for both os us, but still made it into the lounge in 20 minutes from drop off. Taxi driver reported bigger queues earlier in the morning, and without the priority and fast-track it did look pretty busy.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:41 am

I flew out last Saturday mid morning and the place was a zoo .. At 0930 queue time at T1 main security was 45 minutes pretty much exactly as advised on the monitors when I joined it ( they were just holding people outside the terminal in their tents and all the tensa barrier stuff inside was full when I joined ) .. I had plenty time and no fast track access .. but fast track didn't look any quicker, if anything the opposite ( much shorter line, but hardly moving at all whereas the main security line was massive but moved very quickly )

I don't know why it's degraded so much from where it used to be .. is it really any busier than it was ? .. All the security lanes appeared to be open when I went through .. so it didn't seem to be staff shortages causing a problem directly last weekend anyway .. Airside was really busy ( probably because they are encouraging people to turn up so early ) .. with the most obvious staff shortage being a lack of cleaners, the place was filthy

Also any idea when they're going to open the new runway ? - It appears to be completely built ( since the start of the year?) , but still remains unused .. Probably not going to help too much given the main problem is the inability to get the passengers through the terminal in a timely manner at peak times .. but when that's eventually sorted it would help keeping things moving too reducing ATC delays
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Also any idea when they're going to open the new runway ? - It appears to be completely built ( since the start of the year?) , but still remains unused .. Probably not going to help too much given the main problem is the inability to get the passengers through the terminal in a timely manner at peak times .. but when that's eventually sorted it would help keeping things moving too reducing ATC delays
The new runway is scheduled to open in August, so not long to go now.

Thanks for the data points, I'm flying through in a bit over a week on the 10:45am BA flight, so hopefully all will be well.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Does anyone know what the procedure is from using Fast Track benefits if you show up and there is a long queue outside the terminal? I have a Monday 0710 BA departure coming up which I suspect will be a busy time. It's great to have fast track in the terminal to the extent it offers any benefit, but what use if you still have to queue for an hour or more to get to a position inside the terminal to use it? Can you speak to one of the outdoor marshalls to jump that queue too?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by 27Liam
Does anyone know what the procedure is from using Fast Track benefits if you show up and there is a long queue outside the terminal? I have a Monday 0710 BA departure coming up which I suspect will be a busy time. It's great to have fast track in the terminal to the extent it offers any benefit, but what use if you still have to queue for an hour or more to get to a position inside the terminal to use it? Can you speak to one of the outdoor marshalls to jump that queue too?
Good question. I'm flying soon but will be taking the coach down from Belfast. As they are only every 2 hours it will make quite a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.