FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA mgmt overhaul (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2078811-ba-mgmt-overhaul.html)

aristoph May 10, 2022 6:23 am

BA mgmt overhaul

From the FT.

New Chief Digital and Transformation Officer (aka Poison Chalice) Dirk John. Old guy out.

COO role split in two. New hire to take charge of day to day operations not named yet. Probably scared!

Link for FT subscribers only.

https://on.ft.com/3kYU4HE

ThatT1Feeling May 10, 2022 6:36 am

Good to know. Big transformation and therefore risky to change 2 such senior roles at once - but I think much needed.

nomadabroad May 10, 2022 6:38 am

The head of catering should be fired too…

aristoph May 10, 2022 6:47 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 34237149)

New Chief Digital and Transformation Officer (aka Poison Chalice) Dirk John. Old guy out.

"John, who is joining as chief digital and transformation officer, will be given the task of fixing BA’s ailing and highly complex IT systems." :D

aristoph May 10, 2022 6:48 am

Oh and I missed maybe the most important one. Tom Stevens out as Chief Customer Officer. Replaced by Calum Laming formerly Customer Experience at Etihad (and Vueling...)

MaxFlyer May 10, 2022 6:52 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 34237179)
"John, who is joining as chief digital and transformation officer, will be given the task of fixing BA’s ailing and highly complex IT systems." :D

Hopefully, he’ll be given the right budget to fix the issues too as otherwise there’s no point.

Anonba May 10, 2022 6:56 am

Originally Posted by nomadabroad (Post 34237169)

I mean its interpretation I suppose but two people chose to leave and were therefore replaced, dont think they were fired.

corporate-wage-slave May 10, 2022 6:56 am

Here is an extract from the longer article.

Anthony Allcock, the airline’s chief information and digital officer, is leaving the company and will be replaced by Dirk John, an external hire, formerly of McKinsey, Latam Airlines and Lufthansa. John, who is joining as chief digital and transformation officer, will be given the task of fixing BA’s ailing and highly complex IT systems. Despite significant investment from Anglo-Spanish parent company IAG, the airline’s IT systems are prone to failures that can seriously disrupt flying schedules. Doyle, who has pledged to restore the airline’s reputation among customers, has also appointed Calum Laming as chief customer officer, replacing Tom Stevens who is leaving the airline. In addition, the role of chief operating officer has been split in two, with incumbent Jason Mahoney moving to the position of chief technical officer and a new external hire who is yet to be named taking responsibility for day-to-day operations.
If you Google the following words you should get to the whole article.
Financial Times BA chief overhauls management

T8191 May 10, 2022 6:57 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 34237179)

Good luck, John, you will need it. We, the paying victims of BA’s IT, wish you well in your endeavours. I just hope the Board and the Beancounters don’t strangle your efforts at birth.

AirbusA350 May 10, 2022 7:03 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 34237182)
Replaced by Calum Laming formerly Customer Experience at Etihad (and Vueling...)

If his internal video to staff is anything to go by, this guy is by far the best communicator BA has had for years and he really does seem to have the proper substance and experience to make a difference. Of course, this is provided the BA/IAG board allow him to do so and actually cough out investment in order to enable this. If they, by chance, do, then these management changes are potentially just what BA needs! I think a lot of BA's problems are the middle management, who are just "managers" but not true "leaders".

Whilst I know it's difficult to continue being patient with BA with over a decade of constant degradation to their product, this time round, it actually looks like the BA management are actually hearing and seeing that they've become a massive pile of crap across the organisation. There does seem to be actual changes that are being actively looked into which will take a year or so to start showing. The staff crunch for example should even itself out towards the end of this year once prospective staff receive their necessary security approvals which is where the current bottleneck is.

Pilot37 May 10, 2022 7:47 am

I like the fact a few external hires have been made, as previous Mgt shake-up's have tended to be internal managers changing roles, which could be viewed as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
I also have had a chance to speak with quite a few CC on my flights this year about their impressions of Sean, and while BA has taken a battering in the press, all of them have felt he is sincere in his desire to turn things around and listen to staff, so at least if the front line staff feel higher Mgt is trying their best, it will filter through the ranks over time.

Pilot37

13901 May 10, 2022 7:56 am

If Dirk John's not at IAG GBS he won't be making much of an impact - BA's digital estate effectively is limited to the app and website. Not minor, sure, but as I understand it the stuff that fails is under IAG GBS' umbrella, not BA.

HIDDY May 10, 2022 8:30 am

Originally Posted by nomadabroad (Post 34237169)

Customer complaints regarding food have always existed. I wouldn't say it's a priority.

flybymonkey May 10, 2022 8:45 am

I wonder how much longer Doyle has left before he is kicked out? Doug Parker the former AA boss could be a suitable replacement.

FlightDetective May 10, 2022 8:54 am

Originally Posted by flybymonkey (Post 34237509)
I wonder how much longer Doyle has left before he is kicked out? Doug Parker the former AA boss could be a suitable replacement.

I hope you're trolling with that comment :)