BA - great people, very dodgy IT

Old May 9, 22, 6:52 pm

There’s a saying in project management that applies to software development “You can have it fast, you can have it good, you can have it cheap: pick two” - you can guess which two BA have chosen!
PGberkshire likes this.
Old May 9, 22, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mguinness View Post
Theres a saying in project management that applies to software development You can have it fast, you can have it good, you can have it cheap: pick two - you can guess which two BA have chosen!
Cheap and slow?
PGberkshire likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mguinness View Post
Theres a saying in project management that applies to software development You can have it fast, you can have it good, you can have it cheap: pick two - you can guess which two BA have chosen!
Would have thought BA did not even get one of those. Its not fast, it probably wasn't cheap, and it is certainly not good.
Old May 10, 22, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The latest scam is for an experienced person to do the initial interview, and then for a "newbie" to actually turn up to do the work. That happened to a mate - the guy who logged on for his first day could barely speak English, and looked nothing like the guy he'd interviewed
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
I wouldn't call it a scam but large consultancy firms have been employing this technique for decades.
To bring these two quotes together with the overall thread ... I worked for a big six consultancy in the late 90s and as a new consultant was dropped into a very large gas company to do a job I had no experience or training in, but just cracked on and made it up as I went along / did the best I could and the job turned out well in the end. One of the things I needed was a dataset that had to be extracted from a mainframe system and I was told it could take months as their was a queue for new requests and they were in the midst of outsourcing parts of their IT and unfortunately the guys who knew how to access the data were about to be made redundant. On discussing this with the specific individuals involved I was a little apprehensive in case they were angry/upset etc about losing thier jobs. In actual fact they couldn't have been happier as they were leaving on Friday with generous golden handshakes and coming back as self-employed contractors on Monday on the day rate equivalent of 3-4x their previous annual salary. They were the only ones who knew how certain parts of the system worked (they probably coded lots of it) and they had the client over a barrel in some ways. The client needed to show "cost savings" and "headcount reductions" after privatisation, but higher costs in a different accounting bucket were ok They reckoned it could be several years before their gig might end. I think our day rates were still higher than theirs though . Ah, consultancy, the days of flying round the world at client expense and gaining my first Gold card in around 1999 before children came along and I got off the road. Now about to get my second Gold card just 23 years later thanks to the double TP promo and a rather cheap F trip to JFK tomorrow, booked during covid for about 1600 and rebooked twice since.
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old May 10, 22, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC
As a semi-retired Project Manager who used to also work as a developer and then systems programmer I can’t tell you how dismayed I am about the dumbing down of IT skills and systems quality in general. Agile is a real case of Emperor’s new clothes which non technical senior managers have been hoodwinked into thinking is the way forward. It should never be used for major developments or migrations and just becomes a way of kicking the can down the road at the end of a sprint as we all stand around the Kanban and are told once again that it was underestimated and it will all have to be done in the next sprint, then the one after that etc.
Agile just about works for ongoing maintenance management and that’s about it. Give me good old waterfall; it looks more cumbersome and that it’s going to take longer but it never does.

As for the bait and switch of staff, I’ve had that happen to me and could hardly believe it. The guy on the end of the phone seemed to know his stuff; get him on site and he had to be spoon fed, slowing everyone down. He really could not have been the same person we spoke to. But hey, these people are so much cheaper and we can swap then in and out at not cost. Not.
Old May 10, 22, 4:44 am

What really infuriates me on the whole issue is not the fault of BA but the IT service provider, the 'experts' to deliver the goods. For at least 15 years work companies like BA outsource them is being done on the cheap whilst keeping their sales margins high. Year on year cuts are constantly made with local resources cut and roles moved abroad to places in the south Asian region of the world to the likes of places like India.

The staff more often than not (but not always) have poor communication and technical skills and will never say no to taking on more work even if they can't do it or don't have the bandwidth. They will never know when to stop or say no, I know all because I work for a very large multinational one.

Over the last 2 years, the pooled or assigned resource to me has been so poor as well as having a high turnover in staff I have had big arguments with delivery managers. of the so called 'consultants', 'technical managers'& 'advisors' they assign me and have had some kicked out.
Old May 10, 22, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Well done flybymonkey for getting them kicked out. Your arguments must have been more persuasive than mine. I just ended up withdrawing from the fight. It’s too dispiriting to not deliver time and time again because your hands are tied and you have no real choice about resource or methodology.
AmaaiZeg and flybymonkey like this.
Old May 10, 22, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues View Post
Well done flybymonkey for getting them kicked out. Your arguments must have been more persuasive than mine. I just ended up withdrawing from the fight. Its too dispiriting to not deliver time and time again because your hands are tied and you have no real choice about resource or methodology.
Thank you for your kind words. I have account management as part of my responsibilities and with my portfolio of accounts, they can be very sensitive so ensure I get executive sponsorship where possible and make the delivery managers who supply the resources accountable for their actions and speak on the companies half when they eff-up and it works really well as the risks are minimized.
Old May 10, 22, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
In my experience many organisations that outsource tech regret it and try to bring things back in-house within a couple of years if they can.

Often senior staff are swayed by hearing buzz words and get excited about it. I had an issue a few years back where the CEO and COO were getting very excited about blockchain and were having a go at me because I hadn't brought it to their attention. I asked them "What problem is it that you're trying to solve by incorporating Blockchain ?" and was told that wasn't the point. I generally was quite mystified but packed them off to a seminar about it all and heard nothing further - I suspect they really just didn't understand any of it...

The problem is with tech a lot of the time is the decisions are made by people who barely understand any of it, don't like to admit this, won't listen to people who do understand it and end up making bad decisions.
Old May 10, 22, 11:36 am

I have to say that I think that I exprct to see the biggest changes ever in BAs IT in the next couple of years.

Essentially Covid-19 absolutely highlighted BAs over reliance on contact centres/lack of online capability

Sean Doyle has talked about it in internal comms and that he wants destination change for flight only to be possible online and BAH servicing online too.

I think improved capability for rebooking cancelled flights is also being looked at among other things.
JAXBA likes this.

Search this Thread