FAQ : BA Flights Operated by Finnair

Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to add to the thread, there is a rebook policy covering these AY operated flights (same as the one for Titan), so if you would prefer to be on a BA operated flight you can move on to a BA flight for the same route anytime -2/+2 days from the original travel date.
On the basis of what I am reading why would you want to switch flights? Now if it was Titan or some other charter-ish carrier, maybe I would think about it, although I book flights predominantly on the convenience of the timing for me. Anyhow it looks like with one less row on Finnair compared to BA's A320, it might be a bonus to be on Finnair. I have flown them long-haul out of Helsinki to the Far East (albeit in J class) and the hard product and crew were very good. I wont expect a Gold greeting though!!
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:13 pm

I've also just heard from BA that my September flights to/from Faro will be Finnair operated. Having already experienced this switch last year from BA to Finnair a couple of times and Finnair's service long haul, I am very happy with this move. At the moment BA still indicating that this will operate from T5 but waiting to see if this also changes. I am surprised that this long post covid BA are still having to wet lease aircraft from competitors. They must really be struggling with recruitment. At least they are being proactive to avoid service failures and last minute cancellations
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Also got a notice today my son's flight from DEN-LHR will be operated by Finnair this summer. I hope it still lands at T5 as we will meet up and continue on to Kalamata.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:28 pm

Theres seems to be a few posts trickling through here and other forums about people getting the Finnair change emails for long-haul destinations, such as SEA and DEN. Is this BA IT at its best (ie. Churning out BS) or has a widebody wet lease also been agreed that hasnt formally/officially been announced yet? 🤔

(Or could it also be people just misinterpreting? For example they have FCO-LHR-DEN itinerary and have received that email from BA about a Finnair change and have incorrectly assumed its the long-haul sector thats going to be AY operated)

Last edited by AirbusA350; Feb 22, 2023 at 8:45 pm
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:39 am

I think the latter. The Saturday Kalamata is op by Finnair but couldn't see anything for Denver
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA plat BA MC
The email for my flight to NAP in May states that it’s the LHR-NAP flight operated by Finnair, DEN-LHR is still BA metal. I’m fine with Finnair but really wanted to lounge-crawl in terminal 3.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:01 pm

What is odd is I am meeting my son in LHR flying from SFO and continuing onto Kalamata. I didn't get an email for my reservation. I can't tell from our bookings if LHR-KLX is Finnair metal or not, any insight appreciated on how to distinguish.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unless you received a notification there is no reason to think your LHR-KLX flight would be finnair operated.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec - BA GGL/CCR, UA Premier Platinum
It seems also that AY are covering a fair amount of TIA flights now EX T5, as per emails this week
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Unless you received a notification there is no reason to think your LHR-KLX flight would be finnair operated.
No email notice for us, but I now see our flight LHR-KLX is operated by Finnair. My son got an email regarding the change (originating DEN), but we did not (originating SFO), thus m confusion thinking the change was for his DEN-LHR flight.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
I flew last week on BA 412 from LHR to AGP, operated by Finnair. The aircraft was parked virtually in T3, on a remote stand away from Pier C, so it was an A10 gate and bus combo. But it worked OK and the Finnair crew were very welcoming. Safety announcement was standard Finnair, but other announcements were in English and Spanish. As noted elsewhere it is standard BA service on board. There is one less row on a Finnair A320 than on BA, so the seats felt (and I guess were) more spacious, particularly compared to the ones towards the rear on BA which are particularly horrible! Flight pushed back on time and arrived 20 minutes early. No complaints!!!
gcuk and sonomawine like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Blue
I'm flying to MUC on 25th June on a FinnAir operated flight in business class. Last night I looked at MMB and noticed that on the way out luggage allowance shows 2 x 23kg.
Flying back I will fly STR-LHR and on that flight it says 2x32kg.

Would the difference be due to the flight being operated by FinnAir? Just an "out of interest" question. I doubt I'd even get to the 2 x 23kg, never mind 32kg.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ankasi
I'm flying to MUC on 25th June on a FinnAir operated flight in business class. Last night I looked at MMB and noticed that on the way out luggage allowance shows 2 x 23kg.
Flying back I will fly STR-LHR and on that flight it says 2x32kg.

Would the difference be due to the flight being operated by FinnAir? Just an "out of interest" question. I doubt I'd even get to the 2 x 23kg, never mind 32kg.
Its a quirk of the system when dealing with other operating airlines. For the true geek answer technically speaking your allowance on BA is 2 x 23kg, but they waive their heavy bag fee for J/F pax. This effectively makes it 32kg in practice but the official allowance in Amadeus remains as 23kg. In MMB and on receipts, for BA operated services it shows what happens in practice, but its not smart enough to pick up a wetlease as opposed to codeshare, so if the operating airline disclosure doesnt show BA then you see the Amadeus one. On the day the standard BA rule will apply as FLY will treat it as a BA departure.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:13 am

AY to ARN was ok. Legroom in row 1 terrible. Plane actually had WiFi but it was broken. Staff efficient and hard working but extremely strict about things being out for takeoff in row 1. Never has a BA crew complained about an iPad being down that wasnt being used.

All things considered Id try to avoid but wouldnt go too far out of my way as short haul is usually a schedule decision.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Emirates blue
Not sure if this is the correct thread. Im off to CFU tomorrow and had a look on FR to see what plane well have. It doesnt say yet but I notice that todays LHR/CFU BA648 is Finnair as was last Sunday 3/9. Is it just a shortage of planes? Just curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.