Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 10:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Pray tell, what you suggested and your "alternative" explanation of the fact there was no water on board?
I’ll gladly provide an answer to your question (although a cursory glance through page 3 should suffice) but before I do perhaps you would be kind enough to provide an answer to my original question:

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What evidence is there that any corners were cut? Or that something wasn't checked that should have been?
Old May 7, 2022, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Having no tap water is no big deal to me...leaving without tonic water would be a different story.
But it isn't 'no tap water' is it ? It's no tap water, no water to wash your hands, no water so the toilets can flush properly every time someone uses them and so it goes on. You may be happy to live like that. I am not - and I suspect few others are.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:26 am

I’ll gladly provide an answer to your question (although a cursory glance through page 3 should suffice) but before I do perhaps you would be kind enough to provide an answer to my original question:
Yes.
Or that something wasn't checked that should have been?

Checking to ensure the tanks have been filled is a mandatory check. There was no water in the tanks.

(I guess I will not await your speculative theory)
JD1905 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by GrannyWeatherwax
But it isn't 'no tap water' is it ? It's no tap water, no water to wash your hands, no water so the toilets can flush properly every time someone uses them and so it goes on. You may be happy to live like that. I am not - and I suspect few others are.
They work perfectly fine and use just the smallest spray of water. They are vacuum toilets, the small spray of water is merely used to ‘lubricate’ residue on the sides, nothing more. A bottle of water as a back up over does the job required by that spray.

In the world of Covid, anti-bac wipes/sprays/gels etc etc of which we are literally swimming in onboard these days I’m sure can handle the job. Yes warm water and soap would be preferable I agree, but it’s lack of presence will not cause the fall of Rome on one flight.

Everything on the 787 goes to a waste tank via a vacuum system. There are no drain masts. We rely on deferential pressure for toilets to work. Two full waste tanks would however be cause for concern as the toilets would shut down.

Why would the indicator indicate zero and still the relevant checks have happened? RDC failures. They occur. They are not a diversion or turn back generating event. The 787 is just a giant flying server with a lot of demand for cooling, the zeros and ones doesn’t always get along. Yes there IS a chance that no body could be bothered to do their checks…… I also COULD have won the euromillions……perhaps one is more likely than the other. Most of us that flew the pilot only extended FTL cargo flights sans cabin crew during the various restriction of the past two years have become adept at doing things/checks etc not technicallly in our normal area or remit, but as learnt behaviours to compensate for lack of crew onboard and the established procedures to mitigate. As such we by and large so have a look at items such as water and waste tank levels when we board as we tend to be there prior to the crew, not always, but sometimes. So again the fact that at least two, and likely three different roles didn’t look….I’m finding it rather unlikely.

If the hosted cabin function fails (potable water outlets are a program function hosted by a server), and a spare RDC doesn’t pick up the slack…you’ll see zero or full on that panel. It s just a computer.

As for ‘legality’…you can legally fly without any potable water system for 10 days. This complies with FAA/EASA/CAA requirements.

Again, very annoying and very sub-optimal indeed. I’d be mightily annoyed at the lack of suitable caffeine too if operating that sector.
Near death or life threatening danger? No.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
On another airline I got told off for sitting in row 9 instead of row 8, for "weight and balance" reasons. Clearly this wasn't going to crash the plane, there's no way airlines operate so close to the limits. But air travel is so safe because of this laser-focus on small things.
It depends on the aircraft. Smaller types are far more sensitive. If this was for e some an Airbus 320 or 737 then one row won’t make a difference in the price of fish, but to keep it simple for those that are the eyes and ears, some operators will be rather strict and on some flights it can be more vital than on others. Given ‘normal’ loads on larger aircraft it generally isn’t an issue unless nearly empty.
KARFA and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; May 7, 2022 at 11:13 am
Old May 7, 2022, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Sigwx
They work perfectly fine and use just the smallest spray of water. They are vacuum toilets, the small spray of water is merely used to ‘lubricate’ residue on the sides, nothing more. A bottle of water as a back up over does the job required by that spray.

In the world of Covid, anti-bac wipes/sprays/gels etc etc of which we are literally swimming in onboard these days I’m sure can handle the job. Yes warm water and soap would be preferable I agree, but it’s lack of presence will not cause the fall of Rome on one flight.

Everything on the 787 goes to a waste tank via a vacuum system. There are no drain masts. We relay on deferential pressure for toilets to work. Two full waste tanks would however be cause for concern as the toilets would shut down.

Why would the indicator indicate zero and still the relevant checks have happened? RDC failures. They occur. They are not a diversion or turn back generating event. The 787 is just a giant flying server with a lot of demand for cooling, the zeros and ones doesn’t always get along. Yes there IS a chance that no body could be bothered to do their checks…… I also COULD have won the euromillions……perhaps one is more likely than the other. Most of us that flew the pilot only extended FTL cargo flights sans cabin crew during the various restriction of the past two years have become adept at doing things/checks etc not technicallly in our normal area or remit, but as learnt behaviours to compensate for lack of crew onboard and the established procedures to mitigate. As such we by and large so have a look at items such as water and waste tank levels when we board as we tend to be there prior to the crew, not always, but sometimes. So again the fact that at least two, and likely three different roles didn’t look….I’m finding it rather unlikely.

If the hosted cabin function fails (potable water outlets are a program function hosted by a server), and a spare RDC doesn’t pick up the slack…you’ll see zero or full on that panel. It s just a computer.

As for ‘legality’…you can legally fly without any potable water system for 10 days. This complies with FAA/EASA/CAA requirements.

Again, very annoying and very sub-optimal indeed. I’d be mightily annoyed at the lack of suitable caffeine too if operating that sector.
A load of strawman arguments. Nobody said it was 'near death' or 'life threatening'. Nobody except YOU that is.

I don't really care about the explanations either. It's disgusting and that's the end of the matter.
JD1905 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t see this specific incident as a flight safety issue but what other small items are being missed? Small things can lead to big things.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've learned a lot on this thread! Firstly, flying for 12 hours without water is shonky. End of.

Secondly, that "Crew Duvets" are a thing... Does anyone know if these are specified by the CAA? Or how they differ from other blankets etc?

Thirdly (and the biggest learning)... I'm astounded by how little water is needed on an A380 for a 12 hour flight... It must make sense (clearly it works) but I'm currently in a part of the world where we have only just (as in last week) been connected to mains water having relied on tankers and then well water for 15 years so I know what 500kg / litres of water looks like... and it's not a lot! It also would not take a lot of time to actually move that from one place to another with a pump... Certainly less that the time it took to wait for the duvets assuming somebody had a "tap" nearby.

And then finally, just for interest / a data point my flight to LCA last Saturday the bags were apparently loaded in the "wrong hold" which meant our "trim was out" according to the captain and so the cabin crew had to spend about 30 minutes wandering around and grabbing people and moving them forwards (some of them to occupy the middle seat in the club cabin, the horror). It took them a while but I think they only moved about 8 people (there are not infinite free seats towards the front of the plane) and so 500kg does seem like a significant amount... admittedly this was an A321 which is a completely different ballpark to an A380 especially as (I believe) they have an issue with trim anyway but perhaps relevant.

Last edited by Prospero; May 7, 2022 at 12:09 pm Reason: Remove an incendiary remark. Let’s keep the discussion civil
Old May 7, 2022, 11:48 am

It’s very sad, and very much against the spirit of FlyerTalk, to see an increasing number of rude or snide personal digs appearing in this topic. Debating the issues is healthy, insulting isn’t.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
As has been mentioned by IAN-UK there are a lot of fudge factors in load and balance calculations.

We know the empty weight of the aircraft and they are weighed on a regular basis, we also know the weight on the catering and all of its equipment. We know the weight of the cargo and the Mail and all of the baggage. The human beings are total guess work but organisations such as the CAA and the likes of IATA (iirc) do regular sample audits of human traffic weights.
As such we use different assumption for the mass of humanity based on regions of the world in longhaul. USA is more mass or weight per head than the Far East. But is is all still a guess and a fudge.

…...

Given the state of resourcing with various service partners airport wide, I would be sceptical of stories that the water was simply forgotten. The attendant panel is accessed a good few times pre departure by the IFM/L and various inputs are needed, such as the passenger head count figure. Given there is a TRM/C who needs to update load control with actual figures I have a feeling this was probably more to do with no staff available to service the tanks without incurring a significant and sizeable delay….or that there was a problem with the potable water system once under way.
Thanks for the expert view!

From your analysis it appears that "empty tanks" was unlikely to have been a revelation after take-off. So no drama.

It was likely a calculated decision while on the ground to leave without water. Whether tanks were unfilled because a fill up had been forgotten, or there was some fault in the system, Lord knows: but a potential time penalty involved in rectifying the situation was probably the crucial contributor to abandon water.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:31 pm

It isn't just preferable in terms of people liking it but there is a cleanliness issue. Soap is needed to get rid of the bacteria in feces. Hand-sanitizer doesn't do that.

If you start with a presumption that everybody is doing their job properly, then your conclusion makes sense. But why that presumption? It is just speculation. Like the 737max issue-must be something to do with these third-world pilots who don't know how to fly planes.

The whole waiting for duvet issue may have distracted the crew, and that is the whole point of checklists. They aren't supposed to require your attention, and supposed to catch when something is missed because of inattention (fatigue, what have you).

I daresay nothing on the BA forum that has been discussed recently has to do with life or death.

I guess Ryanair can say: "we give you the option of paying for running water in the toilet (unlike BA which doesn't provide it at all costs)".
Old May 7, 2022, 12:34 pm

There’s no evidence of that, just speculation. A BA pilot has suggested an alternative version of possible (probable?) events.

I’m not sure there is a point to the thread, other than just an observation that there was an issue with water.
It’s very sad, and very much against the spirit of FlyerTalk, to see an increasing number of rude or snide personal digs appearing in this topic. Debating the issues is healthy, insulting isn’t.
I agree. Denigrating the fact someone's 12 hour flight had no water doesn't seem to be very nice.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:43 pm

I agree. Denigrating the fact someone's 12 hour flight had no water doesn't seem to be very nice.
Why are you making this personal? You are being purposely argumentative and attempting to twist my comments to suit your agenda.
krispy84 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:00 pm

What evidence is there that any corners were cut? Or that something wasn't checked that should have been?
The water. Nobody checked to see the water was filled? Isn't that the point of the thread?
There’s no evidence of that, just speculation. A BA pilot has suggested an alternative version of possible (probable?) events.

I’m not sure there is a point to the thread, other than just an observation that there was an issue with water.
So, the fact is there was no water on the plane for passengers to use.
What is the "alternative version"? I read through the thread, but may have missed it. There was a mention about another flight from SIN to LHR where the water was loaded but the pump didn't work, but that isn't this flight which is LHR to SIN.
Originally Posted by GrannyWeatherwax
Of course there is. It's in the very first post: Arrived in SIN earlier tonight from a flight which had no water on board.

I see the people for whom BA can do no wrong are out in force. A 12 hour flight with no water is shocking, no matter how you cut it.
GrannyWeatherwax welcome to FlyerTalk and to the BA branch in particular. Your comments suggest you have been around for quite some time so congratulations on breaking your posting duck.

There was obviously an issue with the water, no doubt about that. My comments were in relation to the assertion that BA had cut corners, or had otherwise failed to carry out safety checks that should have been.
Originally Posted by Exsilver
I wasn’t speculating that I couldn’t get a cup of tea, or that the crew member showed my wife the water level indicator at zero, or that the IFM made a long and rambling apology on arrival, that there had been no water on board.
Why are you making this personal? You are being purposely argumentative and attempting to twist my comments to suit your agenda.
I'm not clear what your agenda is. You provided a response that the OP felt a need to respond to, so I stand by my statement of being denigrating to OP.
You were the one saying FT members have a certain spirit. I'm only trying to hold you to your own standard.

I'm not sure you distinguish between "argumentative" and "purposely argumentative" (and may I add "purposefully argumentative") but I fail to see how you were debating issues. Your language could be sarcastic or polite, but it seems that my reference to your point about another rationale being proposed was another thread, another flight, years ago, and you completely ignored it.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
This flight was some way off "OMG we could have plunged into the Wraysbury Reservoir".
At least they could have filled the tanks whilst there.

Checking to ensure the tanks have been filled is a mandatory check. There was no water in the tanks.)
Is there any water in the tanks? No. OK, check done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.