Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 LHR -SIN 5th May left with empty water tanks

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ J S : had always assumed that pre-flight checks (across all areas of the aircraft) to be extremely rigorous ….. so yes, the oversight does seem strange to say the least. But perhaps there is some sort of credible explanation.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by J S
How is something like that not noticed when going through checklists? The plane carries a ton of water (an actual ton: ~2,241 pounds). Presumably that factors into weight and balance..
Indeed … the load and trim calculations for take-off and the rest of the trip. I’m amazed the Captain made the decision to proceed, unless other factors were in play. How long would it take to fill the water tanks?
Old May 6, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Indeed … the load and trim calculations for take-off and the rest of the trip. I’m amazed the Captain made the decision to proceed, unless other factors were in play. How long would it take to fill the water tanks?
About three days given the state of BA at LHR these days I would guess
Old May 6, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Sounds horrible! So many things have gone wrong at BA recently.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Funny how we used to grumble about poor service, uncompetitive seats and high prices.

Now it's the most basic aspects of operating an airline that BA is incapable of....
scoonee, binman, haroon145 and 1 others like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I remember this on a UA (I think) flight years ago from SFO-LAS. No water, so at the gate they announced a vote as to whether they would fly. It was about 1 hour flight, so it was 100% "go for it".
Me too. On MH KUL-SIN (or is it the other way round, can't remember) but then again still just a 50 minute flight. Crew put a bottle of mineral water in the toilet with a post-it sticker that said "for hand washing". There was no announcement, so only people who used the toilet during the short flight knew there was no water in the toilet.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I think some posters are getting a little too exercised over this.

I’ve no idea why the plane left LHR without full water tanks, but if it was an oversight then that is clearly v unsat - BA should find out the issue and rectify it.

Reference the MEL, the a/c would have returned to LHR or diverted, not continued to SIN if this was relevant.

What was the actual impact on board? (fully accepting I wasn’t on the flight). No tea and coffee, that’s poor but manageable. No water for the lavatories, more of an issue; however the toilets are primarily vacuum flushed. No water for hand washing in the lavatories: this is the most unpleasant aspect. There should be hand sanitising wipes and gels onboard which alleviate hygiene concerns, but I accept that it is v poor to be unable to wash hands.

Overall; this was a fail for BA, but not the disaster implied by some. ps this happens to other airlines.
HIDDY and navylad like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Thia is the latest 'enhancement' - save weight and fuel by eliminating water! Waiting for the next episode....
Old May 6, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Exsilver
Arrived in SIN earlier tonight from a flight which had no water on board. The tanks were not filled at LHR, so there was no tea, coffee or water in the toilets. Apparently the crew discussed returning to LHR but decided to continue. I’ll put a full trip report together when I get back.
Between money lost from possibly dumping fuel and possibly paying delay compensation HQ probably nixed any plan for them to return. Let the passengers deal with it.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by krispy84
Overall; this was a fail for BA, but not the disaster implied by some. ps this happens to other airlines.
I think not necessarily that lack of water per se, but if the water was overlooked, today, is it going to be fuel tomorrow? It shows a lack of attention to detail and procedure, and sooner or later that sloppiness won't end well.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I can see some part of the media picking this story up and sensationalising it.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I think not necessarily that lack of water per se, but if the water was overlooked, today, is it going to be fuel tomorrow? It shows a lack of attention to detail and procedure, and sooner or later that sloppiness won't end well.
I think you’re linking kumquats to apples there. We’d need to know what the procedure is for checking if water loaded or not.

Let’s be very clear, lack of water in the tanks is not a flight safety issue.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
Let’s be very clear, lack of water in the tanks is not a flight safety issue.
Yes, this is a key point about the decision taken to depart without water in preference to accepting a (further) significant delay.

FWIW that flight is logged as 42 mins late leaving the gate at LHR: perhaps there were other pressing issues front of mind for the operating crew which contributed to the oversight; or else the failure to load water itself created some or all of the delay, after the problem was identified (was it before or after take-off?), while a decision was made to proceed regardless. So easy to speculate (as I am doing here) without knowing all the facts.

As someone with future bookings on BA15/16 I await the fuller TR from OP with more than casual interest.
krispy84 and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by Pegasus42; May 7, 2022 at 1:06 am Reason: Added last sentence
Old May 7, 2022, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by Pegasus42
Yes, this is a key point about the decision taken to depart without water in preference to accepting a (further) significant delay.

FWIW that flight is logged as 42 mins late leaving the gate at LHR: perhaps there were other pressing issues front of mind for the operating crew which contributed to the oversight; or else the failure to load water itself created some or all of the delay, after the problem was identified (was it before or after take-off?), while a decision was made to proceed regardless. So easy to speculate (as I am doing here) without knowing all the facts.

The delay was caused by the discovery that there were no crew duvets in board. They had to be brought to the aircraft and sitting in 2A I could see and hear the applause from the flight deck when the duvets arrived.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Exsilver
Arrived in SIN earlier tonight from a flight which had no water on board. The tanks were not filled at LHR, so there was no tea, coffee or water in the toilets. Apparently the crew discussed returning to LHR but decided to continue. I’ll put a full trip report together when I get back.
If they knew that there was no water, why would they « go back »? If the former was the case, the delay might have put crew out, of hours. If they had left thinking that they had water, could the tank have leaked? Sorry, I’m just trying to understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.