Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oneworld marketing email: error or sneaky enhancement?

Oneworld marketing email: error or sneaky enhancement?

Old May 5, 22, 4:52 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What is the full text?
Taking a few words, out context, can have a different interpretation to some.
It's just one of a number of bullet points listing the OWS benefits, and the OP quoted it in full.

Or as some wise person once said, "never ascribe to context that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
abraxias and etiene like this.
Old May 5, 22, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
Just got an email from BAEC listing some of the oneworld benefits that come with my Silver/Sapphire membership - somewhat alarmed to see the following:

The asterisk being subject to availability.

So is this deliberately excluding lounge access on economy bookings...?
That language doesn't seem inconsistent with what has been practice for most -- if not all -- of the history of the Oneworld alliance. Lounge access for departing first/business and Sapphire/Emerald travelers has been subject to availability of a Oneworld (or airline-contracted) lounge at the airport terminal/airport since as long as I've been a Sapphire/Emerald.
Old May 5, 22, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
That language doesn't seem inconsistent with what has been practice for most -- if not all -- of the history of the Oneworld alliance. Lounge access for departing first/business and Sapphire/Emerald travelers has been subject to availability of a Oneworld (or airline-contracted) lounge at the airport terminal/airport since as long as I've been a Sapphire/Emerald.
I figured I should explain the asterisk, but it's clearly done more harm than good: the query is nothing to do with the asterisk regarding "where available" and everything to do with the plain meaning of the sentence which has Sapphires [and aparently Emeralds] only get access when flying First or Business.
AJA_ likes this.
Old May 5, 22, 6:47 am

I figured I should explain the asterisk, but it's clearly done more harm than good: the query is nothing to do with the asterisk regarding "where available" and everything to do with the plain meaning of the sentence which has Sapphires [and aparently Emeralds] only get access when flying First or Business.
I understand the potential concern, as I'm often in economy class counting on FFP status to get me into the lounges, but I would just assign this situation to "sloppy" wording/interpretation then. Practice this month is still what it has long been with Oneworld, and I've seen no indication that policy has changed on this during this year. Maybe one day it will change and become cabin/fare-restricted, but for now it seems to continue as it has for going on two decades now.
Old May 5, 22, 6:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From my recollection, when BA makes significant changes - such as the ending of "open doors" or the ending of Concorde Cards - BA has sent out clear comms about the subject. Hiding big changes via an asterisk on a general emai isn't how BA does things. After all if they are trying to cut back on some aspect of this there is no benefit to them or us in trying to hide it. Either they want it to happen or not.
Old May 5, 22, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
From my recollection, when BA makes significant changes - such as the ending of "open doors" or the ending of Concorde Cards - BA has sent out clear comms about the subject. Hiding big changes via an asterisk on a general emai isn't how BA does things. After all if they are trying to cut back on some aspect of this there is no benefit to them or us in trying to hide it. Either they want it to happen or not.
Yes, it doesn't look good for an airline to surprise masses of its customers at the lounge entrances with a sudden devaluation in lounge access benefits.

If there would be an implemented plan to prohibit economy class-flying Sapphire/Emeralds from accessing Oneworld lounges when flying out on OW airlines, then this would be something that would be much more obvious and widely so. We are fortunately not at that point.
Old May 5, 22, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
I've tried to clear this up once: I was not suggesting a deliberate reveal of a change in policy via the above email, but rather the potential of an accidental reveal of an upcoming change. I do not consider even that hugely likely, but one has to wonder how that text makes it through what ought to have been at least a couple of copy reviews.

And again: nothing. To do. With the asterisk.
Old May 5, 22, 7:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Apply Occam's razor -

1. dodgy email; or
2. accidental leak of massive upcoming oneworld lounge access downgrade.

gustavmahler likes this.
Old May 5, 22, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've tried to clear this up once: I was not suggesting a deliberate reveal of a change in policy via the above email, but rather the potential of an accidental reveal of an upcoming change. I do not consider even that hugely likely, but one has to wonder how that text makes it through what ought to have been at least a couple of copy reviews.

Dodgy email copy gets sent from companies all the time – especially marketing ones. Should it happen? Of course not, that’s what review is for but mistakes happen and things get missed. I’m guessing whoever in Marketing drafted the copy is unfamiliar with the ins and outs of every benefit for each oneworld tier and got the wrong end of the stick. This didn’t get picked up for whatever reason. Maybe it’s just how it’s rendering for me, but there are some spacing issues in this email, too. It’s not a high stakes communication so probably didn’t have as much scrutiny as something more important. I really wouldn't be too concerned.
Old May 5, 22, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think that this might have more to do with US Oneworld Airlines. Alaska allows first-class passengers lounge access when flying in the US, but American doesn't. I believe that they might be trying to standardize that policy,
Old May 5, 22, 11:00 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

Don't mention the asterisk, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it...

AJA_ likes this.
Old May 5, 22, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
you would get lounge access if you were travelling first or business no matter your status so i think its a problem with the copy

the website today reads :

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 5, 22 at 11:14 am

Search this Thread