Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA48/49 delayed 4 and 5 May

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
BA48/49 delayed 4 and 5 May

Does anyone have any insight into what is causing the delay for BA48 and 49 (LHR to SEA/SEA to LHR) today and tomorrow?
Old May 4, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
May the 4th be with you.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm going to guess a repeat of the previous problem: these are 787-10 routes, so First is sold. However there are no crew bunks on this aircraft so any departure late from LHR of more than about 115 minutes means the original crew, used at boarding, goes out of hours, so they then need to refresh the crew before departure. They can't swap with a 787-8 due to First, and 787-9 has far fewer seats, and BA holds precisely 2 of the 787-10 model, so a problem on day 1 will work through to day 4 very quickly.

The better option frankly would be to downgrade 8 First passengers so that the cabin can be used for crew rest, and 250 other people can get on with their travels, but you can imagine the uproar that would cause.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm going to guess a repeat of the previous problem: these are 787-10 routes, so First is sold. However there are no crew bunks on this aircraft so any departure late from LHR of more than about 115 minutes means the original crew, used at boarding, goes out of hours, so they then need to refresh the crew before departure. They can't swap with a 787-8 due to First, and 787-9 has far fewer seats, and BA holds precisely 2 of the 787-10 model, so a problem on day 1 will work through to day 4 very quickly.

The better option frankly would be to downgrade 8 First passengers so that the cabin can be used for crew rest, and 250 other people can get on with their travels, but you can imagine the uproar that would cause.
That is not the reason for the delay today.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Airprox
That is not the reason for the delay today.
Are you able to share what is, and why it is knocking on to tomorrows flights as well?
Old May 4, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
The 275 (LAS) is also 3+ hours late tonight. Hoping this doesnt happen tomorrow (as I am on it ). This is an A350 route.

Insight appreciated?
Old May 4, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by ibbitsc
Are you able to share what is, and why it is knocking on to tomorrows flights as well?
Technical defect. Knock is as noted by CWS above, there are only 2 B787-10s in service.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:22 pm

It looks like they've swapped a 787-9 for the 78X today, so I presume one of the 78Xs has gone tech and the other one is spoken for.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by chucko
It looks like they've swapped a 787-9 for the 78X today, so I presume one of the 78Xs has gone tech and the other one is spoken for.
4th May BA49 LHR-SEA and BA48 SEA-LHR are both showing as delayed overnight, so not sure where you are seeing the swap with a 789?

ZBLA looks to be broken as ZBLB is currently on a Chicago rotation and allocated to do 5th May’s BA49 and BA48.
ibbitsc and wrp96 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chucko
And delayed overnight to 10:00 hrs tomorrow and thus arriving in SEA in their morning too. I can see about 30 empty seats on it, mainly in WT, so presumably half a dozen CW are going to be asked to go on the other SEA service tomorrow or indirectly.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Looks like both today's and tomorrow's BA48's are each delayed by 24hrs..... I'm due on the BA48 tomorrow, so really hope it isn't delayed by a day as I need to be back in the UK on Friday.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:57 pm

Just had email saying BA48 on 7th September has just been cancelled!
Old May 4, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
BA48 on June 15th has just been cancelled too - was only rebooked onto it on the w/e, was previously on BA52 on the same day but my Alaska connection to it got cancelled!
Old May 4, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
The 78Xs seem to be of surprisingly poor quality. On my flight over to SEA on one I thought it was really noisy. My wife had to speak quite loudly at me, while last year on an AA 777 we could talk fairly well. We were right over the wing box, but still....
Old May 4, 2022, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
The 78Xs seem to be of surprisingly poor quality. On my flight over to SEA on one I thought it was really noisy. My wife had to speak quite loudly at me, while last year on an AA 777 we could talk fairly well. We were right over the wing box, but still....
Row 1 on a recent 78X ORD-LHR offered the quietest take-off and inflight experience I’ve ever had, so clearly cabin position has a huge impact (perhaps more so than on others?) As one of the world’s lightest sleepers, I was out like a light and slept soundly for several hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.