Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Just did Woolwich route, 10 mins quicker to get home to w9 rather than Canning Town, jubilee, bakerloo
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
Custom House EL to Canning Town on the DLR then switch to another DLR to Woolwich via LCY is the quickest option I can think of.
Originally Posted by danmushman
Poplar DLR short walk to Canary Wharf EL
These are the two I did. First one on the way out (wasn't great, felt like the route I took to the first DLR station was poor, via a fairly crowded shopping centre). Second one seemed better, but I wasn't sure if there was a route other than around the edge of the very large building site. I guess not.

The overshoot option sounds interesting. Was thinking there might be something like that.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
That suggestion about £5.50 HEX fares up thread looks a bit better now: Crossrail fares to Heathrow via central London going up £2 tomorrow…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rguk#xj4y7vzkgCommuters taking the new Elizabeth line through the central zone to London's busiest airport will be charged £12.80, up from £10.80, while those on the Piccadilly line will pay £5.50, up from £3.50.

From Sunday the fee for an Oyster card will also increase for the first time since 2011, from £5 to £7, TfL has said.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For those travelling between LCY and LHR, including on the Elizabeth Line, this thread has a number of timed data points.

LCY-LHR connection, 175 minutes - possible?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
That suggestion about £5.50 HEX fares up thread looks a bit better now: Crossrail fares to Heathrow via central London going up £2 tomorrow…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rguk#xj4y7vzkgCommuters taking the new Elizabeth line through the central zone to London's busiest airport will be charged £12.80, up from £10.80, while those on the Piccadilly line will pay £5.50, up from £3.50.

From Sunday the fee for an Oyster card will also increase for the first time since 2011, from £5 to £7, TfL has said.
Plus Hatton Cross will be added to the free travel zone, higher fares will not apply from Hatton Cross.

Edit: to clarify, Tube only - not busses.

Last edited by revorgap; Sep 3, 2022 at 1:47 am
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by revorgap
Plus Hatton Cross will be added to the free travel zone, higher fares will not apply from Hatton Cross.
could you clarify? as far as i am aware the LHR free travel zone no longer exists. the only free travel is interterminal now on tube/HEX/crossrail.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
could you clarify? as far as i am aware the LHR free travel zone no longer exists. the only free travel is interterminal now on tube/HEX/crossrail.
The tube from Hatton Cross will, from Sunday, be free to/from Heathrow Stations, not just via Hatton Cross for T4. (Using Oyster/Contactless)
orbitmic and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by revorgap
The tube from Hatton Cross will, from Sunday, be free to/from Heathrow Stations, not just via Hatton Cross for T4
ah ok, that is an interesting and very unexpected change. so no free travel zone except for tube from Hatton Cross to T2/3. T4, & T5.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
ah ok, that is an interesting and very unexpected change. so no free travel zone except for tube from Hatton Cross to T2/3. T4, & T5.
KARFA i think what is being suggested is that from sunday you can enter/leave the tube at hatton cross and not be charged if going to/from the airport.

previously it was inter terminal that was free, you could change to a t4 at tube at hatton cross as part of the free tube zone, but would be charged if you entered/exited
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
KARFA i think what is being suggested is that from sunday you can enter/leave the tube at hatton cross and not be charged if going to/from the airport.

previously it was inter terminal that was free, you could change to a t4 at tube at hatton cross as part of the free tube zone, but would be charged if you entered/exited
Yes I do understand that. I am suggesting this is a very surprising move since the direction has been scraping the free travel zone completely, and this is an odd unexpected addition considering there is no other mode of transport which is free from LHR to a stop beyond LHR.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:19 am
gw3

https://www.heathrow.com/content/dam...h_services.pdf
4 September Piccadilly line Free travel at Heathrow will be extended to include entering and exiting Hatton Cross Station. You must tap in and out with Oyster or contactless, but you won’t
be charged if you only travel between Heathrow terminals and Hatton Cross.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:24 am

Thanks. This seem a reversal of what the situation used to be when there was a free travel zone - you used to be able
to get TfL buses for free to Hatton Cross but the tube wasn’t free.

As I say it’s very odd. I wonder if this is being paid for by HAL considering they withdrew funding for the bus free travel zone recently?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As hatton cross is a zone boundary station (5 and 6), if coming from hounslow or central london i wonder if its worth tapping out at hattin cross then tapping back in again?

This makes the hatton cross hotels more attractive!!
adrianlondon and orbitmic like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
So there is an extra £2 fee now for tube/train journeys to Heathrow.
Expanding the free travel to Hatton Cross - I wonder if they are going to include HC in the extra £2 fee - so journeys ending in the 'Heathrow free travel zone' attract this fee. Otherwise it would appear that you could travel on Picc Line for the normal fee, tap out at HC, then tap back in and continue on to Heathrow - avoiding extra £2 fee. (Obviously a faff but many would choose to do this if it worked).
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:50 am
gw3

Originally Posted by danmushman
So there is an extra £2 fee now for tube/train journeys to Heathrow.
Expanding the free travel to Hatton Cross - I wonder if they are going to include HC in the extra £2 fee - so journeys ending in the 'Heathrow free travel zone' attract this fee. Otherwise it would appear that you could travel on Picc Line for the normal fee, tap out at HC, then tap back in and continue on to Heathrow - avoiding extra £2 fee. (Obviously a faff but many would choose to do this if it worked).
There will be no off-peak TfL fares between Heathrow and Zone 1, making previous off-peak journeys £2 more expensive.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles...crapped-57193/
Journeys to the airport that avoid Zone 1 will continue to have an off-peak fare, while journeys ending at stations before Heathrow, such as Hatton Cross, Hounslow West and Hayes & Harlington will also not be affected by the changes.
danmushman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.