Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Old May 26, 22, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA, AC, NZ
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
Can anyone confirm definitively from what time those of us using a Freedom pass can travel on the PAD - LHR stretch. Is it 9.00am (which applies to the main TFL Underground services ) or 9.30 (which seems to apply to TFL overground trains) ? I assume the latter ?
It's valid from 09:00 on the Elizabeth Line according to the PDF map here, along with all TfL services including London Overground, and some non-TfL rail services. The 09:30 applies to most non-TfL National Rail services in London.

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/se......-travel-map
Old May 26, 22, 5:56 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Not any more. It was re-routed some years ago as part of the Thameslink project. All trains now run through the snow hill tunnel down to City Thameslink, Blackfriars, and beyond.
The stopping services from Hertford N and WGC go to Moorgate. Thameslink / Great Northern services from Cambridge / Peterb split go through to the tunnel to St Pancras or terminate at Kings X.
Old May 27, 22, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by jrfsp320 View Post
The stopping services from Hertford N and WGC go to Moorgate. Thameslink / Great Northern services from Cambridge / Peterb split go through to the tunnel to St Pancras or terminate at Kings X.
Ahh, yes, although that's on the deep-level "Northern City line"[1]. Different to the Great Northern services that used to run into Moorgate via King's Cross Thameslink (later moved to the new Thameslink platforms at St. Pancras) and Farringdon. All those are now part of Thameslink proper, and there are some disused platforms at Moorgate where they used to terminate, alongside the Metropolitan line platforms.

[1] (Fun fact: This line actually used to be part of the London Underground and was served by Northern line trains! It was transferred to British Rail in the 1970s, but the station designs are still very reminiscent of the Underground)
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
I did not enjoy trying to slalom through the Paddington concourse crowds to get from the Elizabeth Line to the Elizabeth line yesterday afternoon

Opted for HEX with the discount code above instead to save 20 minutes and have a slightly more comfortable trip

(will use EL for my return from T3 on Sunday though, and then moan about having to change to the Bakerloo at Paddington)
Old May 27, 22, 4:30 am

The change to the Bakerloo used to be easy with the "secret" direct Bakerloo line entrance near the end of Platform 11. This has been closed for a while and I was under the impression it was just being renovated, but apparently it's been closed permanently.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...oo-ticket-hall
Old May 28, 22, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
The change to the Bakerloo used to be easy with the "secret" direct Bakerloo line entrance near the end of Platform 11. This has been closed for a while and I was under the impression it was just being renovated, but apparently it's been closed permanently.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...oo-ticket-hall
My understanding (/desperate hope) is that despite the P11 entrance not reopening there will eventually a new entrance to the Bakerloo line just up from there - i.e. walk up through the clouds of fag smoke to get to it. The underground ticket hall is not set up for the crowds using both that and the District line so they have to do something.
Old May 28, 22, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
If you use the eastern exit [from Canary Wharf Elizabeth Line at Crossrail Place], you can use escalators to go up to Level 0 which is street level of Upper Bank Street. Walk down to Aspen Way, turn left, go up to the footbridge and walk across to Poplar DLR. I have just measured that on Google Maps, and it is 350 metres.
For interest, I timed this today. It took me 7 minutes from EL platform to DLR platform, at a deliberately gentle stroll.
allturnleft likes this.
Old May 28, 22, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was going in the other direction today, from Poplar DLR to Canary Wharf Elizabeth Line, and it took me 8 minutes and 12 seconds, from platform DLR to platform EL. It's easy enough to do but they are clearly not encouraging this transfer at the moment, though it's obvious how to do it, the route isn't signed. I did this as part of an update to the LHR-LCY time thread, which I'll write up tomorrow, but the headline was 78 minutes 20 seconds from LCY to LHR T5 via Poplar and HEX. Due to intervals between services this is almost a worst case scenario.
Old May 28, 22, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
I'm probably the only person to not have tried the EL yet but I do wonder to/from LCY if there is any value in doing the EL-DLR transfer in Woolwich?
Old May 28, 22, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BLHD View Post
I'm probably the only person to not have tried the EL yet but I do wonder to/from LCY if there is any value in doing the EL-DLR transfer in Woolwich?
That is the fastest route to Paddington, according to TfL. I did it earlier this week and LCY to Paddington took about 45 mins including a 5-minute walk between stations at North Woolwich. It wasn't as quick as I had expected.
Old May 28, 22, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum etc
Originally Posted by danmushman View Post
I'm going to patiently wait for the time I can get from Farringdon to Heathrow without changing
Reading to LHR without changing would be nice, too... but not in the plans AIUI
Old May 28, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker View Post
Reading to LHR without changing would be nice, too... but not in the plans AIUI
By train that is a whole other plan with an approach from the other direction. Not going to happen anytime soon. If your start is Reading the the RailAir bus is a good option. It is direct from Reading station
Old May 28, 22, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Looks like I will be doing this on Thursday

Booked EDI-LCY-DXB and saved GBP000s with the LCY routing

Regards

TBS
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 28, 22, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
I'm looking forward to the day I can do thameslink from South of London train lines to Farringdon and then EL to Heathrow. I use taxis at the minute which are now 100 each way. It'll be a bundle of saving to use the train.
Old May 30, 22, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Now that updated maps are appearing in stations, I've noticed that Canary Wharf Elizabeth Line <--> Poplar DLR is not marked as an interchange. However, an OSI has been set for this, so that if you touch out at one and touch in at the other, you will be charged for a through journey rather than two separate journeys.

FWIW, there is a handy list of OSIs here: https://oysterfares.com/information-...ains/osi-list/
Reason077 likes this.

Search this Thread