Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 4:37 am

I used Crossrail yesterday to get from Canary Wharf to Terminal 5 and what a difference from Jubilee Line. Just under 1 hour from Canary Wharf to Terminal 5 changing at Paddington to the Heathrow Express and will get even quicker in the Autumn without the change at Paddington.
trolleymusic likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by speedbird2022
I used Crossrail yesterday to get from Canary Wharf to Terminal 5 and what a difference from Jubilee Line. Just under 1 hour from Canary Wharf to Terminal 5 changing at Paddington to the Heathrow Express and will get even quicker in the Autumn without the change at Paddington.
How long did the change at Paddington take? (Sorry just realised you did EL->HEX, looking for how long EL->EL at Paddington takes).
Old May 26, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Interesting, as I do that route often (from my CW office to T5 departures level) via Jubilee / Bakerloo and HEX in an hour flat, so doesn't seem like much of a difference unfortunately.

Pilot37
adrianlondon and JustTheOne like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Interesting, as I do that route often (from my CW office to T5 departures level) via Jubilee / Bakerloo and HEX in an hour flat, so doesn't seem like much of a difference unfortunately.

Pilot37
This all seems quite expensive, especially as the procedure appears to be taking the EL to Paddington then splashing out on a HEX ticket.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:24 am

Should hopefully shave a few more minutes off the time when the line is fully open later this year allowing direct travel from T5 to Canary Wharf without transferring at Paddington.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:27 am

Fare should be £1.90 off peak and £3.30 peak from CW to T5 I think once fully open and avoiding the change at Paddington
Old May 26, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
This all seems quite expensive, especially as the procedure appears to be taking the EL to Paddington then splashing out on a HEX ticket.
And I think that Canary Wharf to Heathrow T5 can be done in about 1½ hours by Tube alone, anyway, without having to pay the HAL tunnel supplement.

When there are through trains from Canary Wharf, though, the supplement may be worth paying for avoiding the hassle of having to change trains.
Fare should be £1.90 off peak and £3.30 peak from CW to T5 I think once fully open and avoiding the change at Paddington
I think that's a bit optimistic!

The Tube-only fare is already £5.50 peak / £3.50 off-peak.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
On the TFL single fare finder
Paddington to T5 is coming up as £11.80 / £10.80
Interestingly CW to T5 is £12.70 / £10.70? - not sure if this is the current price if you change from EL to EL at Paddington
Old May 26, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Canada Water (Zone 2) to T3 via Tube (Jubilee / Piccadilly) fare was £3.50 this past Friday (travelling at 14:30)
Old May 26, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by danmushman
On the TFL single fare finder
Paddington to T5 is coming up as £11.80 / £10.80
Interestingly CW to T5 is £12.70 / £10.70? - not sure if this is the current price if you change from EL to EL at Paddington
I would expect so, as I don't think there's any TfL way to get to the Heathrow railway (as opposed to Tube) stations except by Elizabeth Line, and TfL would normally charge you the through fare even if you have to make an OSI. The £12.70 / £10.70 fares are the same as the fares if you start from Zone 1 stations - see Crossrail from 24th May : implications for LHR T5 - and those journeys require an OSI at Paddington.

The Zone 1 <--> Heathrow (or Canary Wharf <--> Heathrow) fares seem to reflect a flat-rate surcharge of £7.20 over the Tube-only fare. It's the £11.50 / £10.80 fares for starting at Paddington that are different, including the anomaly that off-peak, Paddington <--> Heathrow costs more than Zone 1 <--> Heathrow.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Took 45 mins from Farringdon to T5 today via EL and HEX, but I just missed a HEX train. With slightly better timing, would have been comfortably possible in 35 mins. Farringdon to Paddington was 7 mins (will probably increase by a minute or so once Bond St station opens).

Originally Posted by danmushman
How long did the change at Paddington take? (Sorry just realised you did EL->HEX, looking for how long EL->EL at Paddington takes).
EL>HEX took me 5 mins with luggage, EL>EL isn’t materially different, another minute at most and probably quicker with just hand luggage.
danmushman likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:08 am

To confirm. Using the purple train (Elizabeth line) into Heathrow attracts a surcharge (because tfl have to pay to use the tunnel which is owned by the airport). So use of Eliz line will always cost more than Piccadilly Line.
However, normal fare caps apply to Eliz line, so if you're doing other travel on the same day, the total daily charge may well be the same whether you got to/from LHR by tube or Eliz line.
Reason077 and JD1905 like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by trolleymusic
Doesn't the Great Northern go down into Moorgate? There's a connection to the Elizabeth line Liverpool Street there.
Not any more. It was re-routed some years ago as part of the Thameslink project. All trains now run through the snow hill tunnel down to City Thameslink, Blackfriars, and beyond.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BA
Cambridge-Heathrow actually takes two minutes longer via Farringdon-EL-HEX than via King's Cross-Tube-HEX. This is because trains calling at Farringdon are 20 minutes slower than the direct trains to King's Cross. Rather cross about this!
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Can anyone confirm definitively from what time those of us using a Freedom pass can travel on the PAD - LHR stretch. Is it 9.00am (which applies to the main TFL Underground services ) or 9.30 (which seems to apply to TFL overground trains) ? I assume the latter ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.