Club World vs Upper Class

Old May 4, 2022, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Club World vs Upper Class

Just back from a trip with Virgin Atlantic for the first time in a few years. Having had a few Flying Club points and companion voucher to burn I thought I’d try out the new Upper suite on the A350 to JFK and from ATL.

Having always thought of Upper class to be the superior product and somewhere between Club World and First. This trip led me to reassess this conclusion and I can honestly say that club world (suites) is the superior product.

The seat - club suite wins on all accounts. Much easier to control and manipulate, far more privacy, we’ll positioned for companion travel and waaayyy more storage.

Crew - I always find BA crew to be friendly, courteous and take a real interest in their passengers. The Virgin crew on the way out were awful, left aisle got boarding drinks, the right aisle did not. Also sometimes find the over familiarity of the Virgin crew a bit brash.

Food service - one of the areas that used to give Virgin the edge as the meal was fully served with table cloth etc. now virgin have gone for tray based service, they fall into line with other business classes.

Food quality - Club world Do&Co offering is leaps and bounds ahead of Virgin. On both sectors, the menu was a basic chicken meal. Nothing exciting like the Club world roasts etc.

IFE - have to give it to Virgin on this as the tail cam is a great feature. Other than that, they’re pretty on par.

All in all, the improvements made to Club World over the last 4-5 years, against a diminished Upper service have definitely given the BA product the leading edge.
Old May 4, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Are you serious? The catering in CW is a joke and the lounges at LHR are in a terrible state!
Old May 4, 2022, 5:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by victairinternational
Nothing exciting like the Club world roasts etc.
I thought you were being serious for a moment
Old May 4, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Just back from a trip with Virgin Atlantic for the first time in a few years. Having had a few Flying Club points and companion voucher to burn I thought I’d try out the new Upper suite on the A350 to JFK and from ATL.

Having always thought of Upper class to be the superior product and somewhere between Club World and First. This trip led me to reassess this conclusion and I can honestly say that club world (suites) is the superior product.

The seat - club suite wins on all accounts. Much easier to control and manipulate, far more privacy, we’ll positioned for companion travel and waaayyy more storage.

Crew - I always find BA crew to be friendly, courteous and take a real interest in their passengers. The Virgin crew on the way out were awful, left aisle got boarding drinks, the right aisle did not. Also sometimes find the over familiarity of the Virgin crew a bit brash.

Food service - one of the areas that used to give Virgin the edge as the meal was fully served with table cloth etc. now virgin have gone for tray based service, they fall into line with other business classes.

Food quality - Club world Do&Co offering is leaps and bounds ahead of Virgin. On both sectors, the menu was a basic chicken meal. Nothing exciting like the Club world roasts etc.

IFE - have to give it to Virgin on this as the tail cam is a great feature. Other than that, they’re pretty on par.

All in all, the improvements made to Club World over the last 4-5 years, against a diminished Upper service have definitely given the BA product the leading edge.
Care to comment on the ground experience and lounges at Heathrow
mrow and SxMan like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Not been in CS or the new VS seat yet but definitely prefer ‘old CW’ to the old VS UC seat

IME VS is otherwise better on pretty much every facet, esp the lounge at LHR, where it even firmly kicks the First lounge into touch
justin_krusty likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:54 am
formerly JackDann

Having flown only old CW and old UC I cannot think of a single aspect where the Old CW experience would win unfortunately, except maybe price.

Ground Experience, LAX Lounge and the Arrivals lounge at LHR both smash the Galleries out of the park (There wouldn't be an Arrivals lounge flying CW with no status either)
The old UC seat is much better than the old CW seat and I'd say i'm in the majority that thinks this.
Customer Service, overall i've found to be better on VS in comparison to BA but can't imagine there is too much in it.

I rarely fly UK to US anymore after I moved back to the UK 4 years ago, but if I was to travel I would still be selecting VS.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:29 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by JackDann
Having flown only old CW and old UC I cannot think of a single aspect where the Old CW experience would win unfortunately, except maybe price.

Ground Experience, LAX Lounge and the Arrivals lounge at LHR both smash the Galleries out of the park (There wouldn't be an Arrivals lounge flying CW with no status either)
The old UC seat is much better than the old CW seat and I'd say i'm in the majority that thinks this.
Customer Service, overall i've found to be better on VS in comparison to BA but can't imagine there is too much in it.

I rarely fly UK to US anymore after I moved back to the UK 4 years ago, but if I was to travel I would still be selecting VS.
What, that same seat that was being used by NZ in 2018 - the one where you either sit upright or flat?
Old May 4, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Nothing exciting like the Club world roasts etc.
A Club World roast is surely an alternative name for moaning about BA on FT, right?
Old May 4, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
What, that same seat that was being used by NZ in 2018 - the one where you either sit upright or flat?
I understood NZ did use the same seat as Virgin. But upright or flat is not accurate. True the seat turns over to become a flat bed, but it has considerable recline in the normal mode. Not a seat I liked, mostly because of feet sticking out and being bumped by people passing. But it had options. The thing about CW is I still like it, but then as a Gold you get to pick the nicer seats. Many of the CW seats are very poor in 2022.

As to the original post, my most recent CW experience made me switch to AA where possible. Not quite sure how bad the VS food would have to be for BA to win that battle.
mrow likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Just back from a trip with Virgin Atlantic for the first time in a few years.

…………… Nothing exciting like the Club world roasts etc.
So, not all bad news on VS then. At least a big tick in the box for their food

I can see Virgin stealing your line about ‘Club World roasts’ and using it in their next marketing promo !
DYKWIA, lloydah, bibbju and 1 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Likelihood of flying – with one’s luggage

A key thing to consider might be the likelihood of the booked flight actually departing – and one’s luggage arriving with one at the destination. I suspect on both accounts, British Airways lag far behind any opposition.
choosethedrew and DelTroon like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I thought VS were back to plated courses? I've just been on a few different trip report videos to confirm online and they all have a choice (!) of starter, main and dessert or cheese.

I know you get a thimble of cheese and dessert on BA but at least on VS they're bigger!
SxMan likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by JackDann
(There wouldn't be an Arrivals lounge flying CW with no status either)
Club World gets Arrivals Lounge access on BA.

BA Gold allows those in WT/WT+ access to the Arrivals Lounge.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A positive CW review on this forum is nice to see.

I've never flown Virgin but would if they flew where I wanted to go. This tail cam you mention on Virgin flights....what's so great about it?
Old May 4, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
This tail cam you mention on Virgin flights....what's so great about it?

(@01:06)

A video paints a thousand words. :-)

Last edited by Schwann; May 4, 2022 at 3:20 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.