Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return of domestic widebody flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
It would depend on the loads and which type of 787 is being used. The -8 would probably have CW and WTP as CE. The -9/10 would make use of the F cabin if necessary with WTP being part of the Y cabin.
EF currently showing the CW cabin only for CE, with WTP and WT being used for ET. Great news and a nice surprise for someone in economy who ends up in WTP.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Expert flyer showing 5 blocked seats in Business and 3 empty on BA1438 on Friday. It’s a 787-8 type 78B. 3 lucky people in premium economy but loads of blocked seats in economy, presumably for weight balances reasons.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Wouldn't this have been routinely beaten by rocketing to EDI on an overpowered and lightly loaded 757?
Or beaten by rocketing into EDI on, err, the rocket...

Old May 3, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The chance to sit in an F seat on a domestic flight? Whatever next.

Do they turn the IFE on for short flights like this?
Old May 3, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Agent69

Historically, no, something to do with licensing as I understand it. Occasionally you get lucky but bring your own headphones.

Moving map should be available.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Wouldn't this have been routinely beaten by rocketing to EDI on an overpowered and lightly loaded 757?
Very probably Globaliser- I’m expecting you to come up with the stats!
Old May 3, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC
So do we actually have any additional concrete info for this?
Old May 3, 2022, 9:50 am

You may have the chance to do this again as BA have chartered a Titan B757 for a series of flights this summer.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Agent69

Hi

If it is a 788 ( as sched for friday) then there is no f iirc ( if a 789 was used then f seats would on board)

Regards

Tbs
Old May 3, 2022, 10:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Royalscot
This is also shown for the BA1438 LHR to EDI on flightradar24 has a 788 dep lhr 09.05 on 6th May, hopefully we shall see more of this. GLA next please.
Full northbound and nearly full southbound (BA1443).
Old May 3, 2022, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Blue
So do we actually have any additional concrete info for this?
We don't, my source has given me the info but I was hoping I might be able to corroborate it here.

Last edited by flight125; May 3, 2022 at 12:03 pm
Old May 3, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Why does this make me think there will be a few cancellations so they need a bigger plane on the services that are running?
Old May 3, 2022, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Why does this make me think there will be a few cancellations so they need a bigger plane on the services that are running?
There are actually more seats on an A321 than on a 787-8. Now factoring in CE brings the 787 ahead, but only by about a dozen seats.

I notice that for Friday's services they are running WTP as the ET cabin, on other short haul 787s WTP is the CE overflow.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
I know people like flying widebodies on unusual/short-haul routes - but WHY?? Boarding and deplaning take much much longer. If you're in club you are hardly going to recline the bed for a 1 hour flight. And if you're in row 36 then you might as well have taken the train by the time you get off!
I think you answered your own question, because most people fly the widebodies because they are in CE (and not down the back), and it makes their "business class" trip actually feel (hard product) like business class - who wouldn't chose tonnes of leg room/unlimited recline over an economy seat, yes you get another economy seat blocked next to you, and does deplaning really take much longer?!
Old May 3, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
I think you answered your own question, because most people fly the widebodies because they are in CE (and not down the back), and it makes their "business class" trip actually feel (hard product) like business class - who wouldn't chose tonnes of leg room/unlimited recline over an economy seat, yes you get another economy seat blocked next to you, and does deplaning really take much longer?!
No. I have seen Gantt charts for turnaround before and as others note because capacity is broadly similar, you have two aisles rather than one, the ability to use dual airbridges etc, actually the process for boarding and deplaning isn’t much longer.

As I understand it, the widebodies’ freight / baggage can take longer, fuelling can take longer, but not sure it’s as much as you’d think.

Then there’s things like - large overhead bins, wardrobes so that jackets can be hung, the 787 certainly feels quieter to me than an A320/321.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.