Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA's era of cleanliness over?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Is BA's era of cleanliness over?

To me, the most noticeable difference with BA since the pandemic is how their planes went from the filthiest in the air to spotlessly clean. Whilst in ET, this may be partially explained by the fact that there's only so much of a mess you can make with a bottle of water and a small bag of crisps, I did find it noticeable in other cabins as well.

Today, returning home after the Bank Holiday weekend, I noticed that they are no longer handing out Dettol wet napkins. I can live without those, but what I also noticed was that my tray table (in row 6) had rings and splashes of coffee or wine on it (and it was out of LHR and not some rogue outstation). Has BA just decided that Covid is over in all aspects except for the ones that save them money, and downgraded the aircraft cleaning to pre-pandemic levels? It would be very much like them. But it really would be a pity as it's the one way in which they had noticeably improved through the pandemic.
James91 and SxMan like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: British Airways
The seat area and tray table on my recent flights were fairly clean recently. I did however have one a few weeks back (first flight of the day GLA to LHR) where the table wasn't clean at all. It was quite frankly disgusting. Sent a complaint and got 5,000 avios so that helped slightly!
Old May 2, 2022, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ld0595
The seat area and tray table on my recent flights were fairly clean recently. I did however have one a few weeks back (first flight of the day GLA to LHR) where the table wasn't clean at all. It was quite frankly disgusting. Sent a complaint and got 5,000 avios so that helped slightly!
BA CS can expect an avalanche of dirty table complaints.
Lioneye likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I haven’t been aware that the era of cleanliness had even started.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
I noticed no improvement in cleaning during covid times. If anything it was worse as on most of the flights I took I found discarded wipes in the seat back pocket or mess around the seat after being told it had been cleaned which just made it even more annoying.
SirToby and justin_krusty like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:34 am

Clatty passengers to blame. Even on long haul flights I clean up any mess I've left before leaving.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Clatty passengers to blame. Even on long haul flights I clean up any mess I've left before leaving.
Quite right HIDDY, how on earth BA can be expected to clean their a/c after the mess pax make!

(😁😁😁 in case someone was unsure …)
Old May 3, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Clatty passengers to blame. ………………….
Couldn’t agree more !

Whenever I eat out, I always spend time - usually just after the coffee has arrived - thoroughly cleaning the restaurant table, the chairs, and even give the floor a quick vacuum (to clear any crumbs which may have accidentally fallen). I know cleaning costs have been factored in to the hefty prices, but it’s not right to expect the staff to trouble themselves with such matters,
Old May 3, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
True to an extent....however different people have varied habits , sense of personal standards etc. This does not absolve the suppliers to let the standards of decent products expected by its clientele to be ignored. Days of civil responsibilities are dwindling. I do not shy away from pointing out the shortcomings to a business, for that will only solidify their belief that people will accept anything!
Old May 3, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
True to an extent....however different people have varied habits , sense of personal standards etc. This does not absolve the suppliers to let the standards of decent products expected by its clientele to be ignored. Days of civil responsibilities are dwindling. I do not shy away from pointing out the shortcomings to a business, for that will only solidify their belief that people will accept anything!
Indeed. Also has to be said that my idea of a clean cabin might be seen as 'filthy' by someone else.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC- Silver
We got the Dettol wipes on Sunday from ACE but they seemed to be an afterthought, they were handed out at the door on the outbound.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by subject2load
Couldn’t agree more !

Whenever I eat out, I always spend time - usually just after the coffee has arrived - thoroughly cleaning the restaurant table, the chairs, and even give the floor a quick vacuum (to clear any crumbs which may have accidentally fallen). I know cleaning costs have been factored in to the hefty prices, but it’s not right to expect the staff to trouble themselves with such matters,
Our ideal dinner guest! Are you qualified to load a dishwasher as well?
Old May 3, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Our ideal dinner guest! Are you qualified to load a dishwasher as well?
Thanks Uncle T (look forward to my invitation !)

No, not qualified to load it, sorry - have only completed my Unloading Course so far.

Forgot to mention earlier that my restaurant DIY cleaning régime, as outlined, goes down exceptionally well if I happen to have a (ahem) first-time guest with me …… or if I have invited casual friends / family members along. They always comment on how the thorough wipe-downs and vacuuming help round off the evening with a touch of glamour
Old May 3, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
My Boeing 787-10 out of Seattle wasn't clean a couple of weeks ago in Club Suites.

Some pig had been chewing gum, stuck it on the underside of one of the storage box lids and removed it later. What was left was that ring of a smidgen of gum and a round circle of stickiness. Not pretty. There were also some crumbs between the seat and the seat wall. And of course a scratch across the front of the door with the mirror. That was my first time with the new seats, and I didn't love them, but perhaps these "little things" coloured my opinion a bit.
Old May 3, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
My favourite part of The Era of Cleanliness (you should trademark that, by the way) was when the aircraft was inevitably late arriving at an outstation and the gate staff announced it was because the aircraft had been 'sanitised' for everyone's safety. On boarding, it was clear nothing of the sort had occurred (and at best maybe happened every few days).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.