Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare - free checked bag with OWE Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Fare - free checked bag with OWE Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by etiene
Indeed, you'll also get on-the-day changes should that have any value to you. I think it's just branded "plus" though?
Google Flights call it economy plus, but I don't know what BA actually calls it. I haven't purchased the fare yet. I'll pull the trigger within the next 24 hours.

What is this on-the-day change that you're referring to? Do I have to pay a fare difference? Is it possible for me to buy the cheapest fare on the day and switch to a more expensive fare on the day for free?
Old May 12, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lsquare
What is this on-the-day change that you're referring to? Do I have to pay a fare difference? Is it possible for me to buy the cheapest fare on the day and switch to a more expensive fare on the day for free?
Answers here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...a-tickets.html
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I guess I will have to post a more specific question in that thread then...
Old May 12, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Google Flights call it economy plus, but I don't know what BA actually calls it. I haven't purchased the fare yet. I'll pull the trigger within the next 24 hours.

Provided there is space available in the cabin then yes, you can move for free.

You have to make the request to change at least 1 hour ahead of departure time of your booked flight

Sometimes it has worked for me in that was able to get on a flight that was more expensive at the time I booked, sometimes not and I flew the flight I booked

Pick the cheapest flight you do not mind taking as there is a possibility, especially with all the cancellations, that other services may be full

It only works for point to point tickets, you do not get it if you book a ticket that involves a connection
lsquare likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You could say the same about seat reservations - BA allows that on Basic fares, AA does not. I know which I would prefer.
Is this a new thing on AA? I’ve bought a few AA domestic basic economy fares in late 2021/early 2022 but as OWE I was able to select seats for free
lsquare likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
I'm so glad I found this thread. As a reminder, I'm currently a BA Silver. I'm looking at an LHR-CDG basic economy fare going for £51 one-way or £74 for economy plus. I guess it makes more sense to buy economy plus right from the get-go rather than pay for luggage via MMB as it'll be more expensive. I'm guessing I'll still be able to select my seat at the time of booking for free with BA?
Depending on where you are in London relative to LHR (or any other LON airport) the train may be a viable point to point option. Taking into account cost/time to get to/from airport, security and airport waiting time..
Old May 12, 2022, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Depending on where you are in London relative to LHR (or any other LON airport) the train may be a viable point to point option. Taking into account cost/time to get to/from airport, security and airport waiting time..
I think that lsquare may be determined to fly, even if it is the worse option: CDG-LHR in cash or Avios?

They may have different considerations for the LON-PAR direction, though.
jerry a. laska and Mwenenzi like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
If you book basic economy via AA, you will get the status bag allowance..

I've traveled on a basic fare with BA and no problems with our checked bags, on a AA ticket.

Downside though, seat selection, in the AA operated flights
Old May 12, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that lsquare may be determined to fly, even if it is the worse option: CDG-LHR in cash or Avios?

They may have different considerations for the LON-PAR direction, though.
I don't know, and I'm thinking hard about it. I'm not sure what your intention is by making a comment like that. This is a forum, and I'm free to ask whatever I want. You don't have to participate if these kind of questions annoy you.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:39 am

Hi All, long absence from here (months), or no travel (and a little one added to the family!)
About to book an AA Basic TATL fare, which seems to be letting me select MCE seats (I'm OWE), and will give me one checked bag on AA metal. Return leg is OPERATED by BA. Will I still be able to check a bag on the basis of marketing carrier rules (which give one bag to status pax)?
Either way it would still be cheaper to pay to check one bag on one leg than pay for non-basic economy for whole family

Also will there be a difference in outcome if I do the outbound trip on AA or BA metal (still AA ticket)

Many thanks
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Hi All, long absence from here (months), or no travel (and a little one added to the family!)
About to book an AA Basic TATL fare, which seems to be letting me select MCE seats (I'm OWE), and will give me one checked bag on AA metal. Return leg is OPERATED by BA. Will I still be able to check a bag on the basis of marketing carrier rules (which give one bag to status pax)?
Either way it would still be cheaper to pay to check one bag on one leg than pay for non-basic economy for whole family

Also will there be a difference in outcome if I do the outbound trip on AA or BA metal (still AA ticket)
Have a look at the graphics in post 1 of the BA master thread-->Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by GBOAC

Many thanks
The short answer (which will be clarified once you've read through the great AJB basic fares guide link posted above) is that if you're on a BA operated service, regardless of the marketing carrier of the flight, you will not receive any complimentary status-based checked baggage. Therefore if indeed booking an AJB Basic fare, ensure the itinerary is entirely operated and marketed by AA/IB/AY only.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Basic HBO - Free checked bags at the gate on most flights - so go for it! It comes with early boarding in from of Group 1 passengers with GGL status. Eg today on BA 866 where 47 people went through to give the bag and get early boarding. Passengers in row 2 and 5 had there bags above row 8 - and thankful for that!
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
The short answer (which will be clarified once you've read through the great AJB basic fares guide link posted above) is that if you're on a BA operated service, regardless of the marketing carrier of the flight, you will not receive any complimentary status-based checked baggage. Therefore if indeed booking an AJB Basic fare, ensure the itinerary is entirely operated and marketed by AA/IB/AY only.
So this is my problem as it was NOT clear - the aJB thread clearly states in the graphics that bags allocations are driven by the 'marketing' carrier (i.e. not operating carrier).... Hence my question.
I'm stomaching 40k avios for an award flight I think (which hurts me as the equivalent AA metal fare is only £900 and BA want to charge £600 in 'taxes') - but I need to be on at least one to or from EWR which is BA only.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:08 pm

Duplicate post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.