Wiki Posts
Search

SYD/MEL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:30 am
Original Poster

SYD/MEL

Hi guys,

Need some help. Trying to book from LHR to SYD & MEL March 2023. Found the trip I want and go to book and confirm and I get the message come up in the attachment.

Any ideas when I will be able to actually book it? Why is this message coming up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
BigDogg
Attached Images  
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: BA silver
Big Dogg,

It won’t let you book a split trip like that. If you want it as one trip put LHR-Mel and it will give you a selection. Or book them separately but you’ll have to go to the QF website or an OTA to book the SYD-Mel leg. BAcan only offer you that if you use Avios
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dorsetboy. Doing it as one trip (LHR -MEL) won’t allow me to spend a few days in SYD on arrival, then a few days in MEL with another couple of days in SYD after. Is it totally impossible to do a trip like that?

Regards
BigDogg
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA silver
You certainly can’t do it with BA on a through ticket(or anyone else apart from QF as they are the ‘home’ operator) unless you go straight onto MEL on same day as you land at SYD. Better taking single legs to and from MEL( there’s not usually a reduction for a return so book two singles), which gives you max flex. Virgin are usually way cheaper than QF btw. As mentioned you can book SYD-Mel with QF on the BA website using Avios. Often quite cheap. Hope that helps
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
You certainly can’t do it with BA on a through ticket(or anyone else apart from QF as they are the ‘home’ operator) unless you go straight onto MEL on same day as you land at SYD.
There is actually no issue booking the trip the OP wants with BA Holidays, but simply, it has to be done over the phone with the domestic segments indeed coded as QF. OP should call and there should be no problem.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There is actually no issue booking the trip the OP wants with BA Holidays, but simply, it has to be done over the phone with the domestic segments indeed coded as QF. OP should call and there should be no problem.
Strictly speaking, it doesn't need to be a BA Holiday, just needs booking by the Sales Team offline.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
Another option to consider is to book Qatar - much better service that BA in Bus. And quite often cheaper. Still get Avios and Tier Points
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MisterE
Another option to consider is to book Qatar - much better service that BA in Bus. And quite often cheaper. Still get Avios and Tier Points
But would still have the issue of LHR-SYD, stop over, SYD-MEL, stop over, MEL-SYD, stop over, SYD-LHR, with the SYD-MEL/MEL--SYD flights as QF/QF flights.
Unsure if OP is trying to get BA coded/QF operated SYD-MEL-SYD flights (for segment count?). For BA codeshares would have to be tag on the long hauls (less than 24hrs connection?). Does BA have a multi city booking tool?
Just buying MEL-SYD & SYD-MEL as separate flights easy way out. Other airlines also fly that route:, VA, JQ & REX [wheels up/wheels down 60~70 minutes]
nivsy and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

Initially, I tried the SYD/MEL with a BA flight number on QF metal, then that message came up so I thought of switching the SYD/MEL journey to QF flight codes but still didn’t work. Might try giving them a call whenever the sales line decides to reopen again. Tried calling them already and it says it’s closed for a “number of weeks” to help with customer enquiries.

Regards
BigDogg
Old May 1, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If it helps, QF fly direct MEL-LHR via PER, in fact I’ve booked a round trip LHR-SYD-MEL-LHR in November with stopovers in SIN and PER. However the PER-LHR leg is 17 hours nonstop but I think it should be OK in QF J! Alternatively, QF fly direct MEL-SIN if that would help the OP. I used the QF multi-city booking tool which Is more user-friendly than the BA one and I’ve linked the flights to.my BAEC account. Having said that, I’ve booked SYD-MEL and MEL-PER in Y as that was a lot cheaper than J but I was offered first row seats for a small supplement which I took.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BLHD
Strictly speaking, it doesn't need to be a BA Holiday, just needs booking by the Sales Team offline.
It doesn’t need to be a ba holiday at all, but I’m referring to ba holiday simply because that’s what the op is trying to book. Just look at the screenshot in post 1 which mentions both flights and hotel…

Last edited by orbitmic; May 1, 2022 at 4:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.